Video Encoding

Yes. The quality will still be that of an upscaled DVD, however. Not a lot can be done to make it look anywhere remotely as good as a real 1080p source. 2-3GB is the max I'd recommend for reencoded DVDs, since that file size seems to be the best on my xbox360, outputting to a Mitsu 60".

I have a 22 inch display with 1680 X 1050 resolution so anything less than 720P - H264 looks bad.

So will it increase the resolution of that image? Which software is used for this purpose. Lets say in Photoshop when you increase the size of an image it looks bad. Will it see the same bad effect in movies too?

It won't necessarily look as bad as cropping and expanding an image (less but bigger pixels) depending on how it's upscaled, but the quality won't improve over what the original DVD quality. The only way to get true 720p movies is to have a 720 or greater source.

OK so I do scalling by maximizing the movie player to full screen or do some zooming or increase the movie by some software, what difference will it make? In both the cases pixel scaling is taking place, the number of pixels are not increasing

Bottom line is that you'll want to start with a 720p or 1080p movie to get the quality you're looking for.

Lets say in Photoshop when you increase the size of an image it looks bad. Will it see the same bad effect in movies too?

I'd say it's even worse. A DVD chopped down to 700MB would have a video bitrate of around 800kbps. A typical x264 encoded 720p film would be around 3400-5000kbps, & 1080p around 8000-12000kbps. Not to mention that older encoders are extremely inferior. An 800kbps XVID for example looks pretty bad while 800kbps using x264 provides a lot more detail.

I watch Hulu on my 1080p screen and most stuff is available at 720p. Using FFDSHOW with MPC-HC I am able to watch those 720p flicks at fullscreen while being upscaled very very nicely. I highly recommend FFDSHOW if you want to do any upscaling etc. You'll have to really spend some time with the settings, learning them, and tweaking them, but once you get it right you can be very very pleased.

Keep in mind though that's coming already from an HD quality source. When you lots of HD and then go back you look at DVD as being the equivalent to VHS tape. Even a fully unchopped DVD rip looks pretty awful at anything other than it's intended resolution.

If you encoded a DVD using x264 with a bitrate of around 2-3k or a 2GB file size then you could upscale the video a good 1.5-2x using FFDSHOW and it would look decent.

OK so I do scalling by maximizing the movie player to full screen or do some zooming or increase the movie by some software, what difference will it make? In both the cases pixel scaling is taking place, the number of pixels are not increasing

rive22 nailed it pretty well. But to specifically answer this question, it may or may not make a difference. There are different interpolation algorithms and they impact different images differently. It is possible the software you use to transcode the video will do a better job than your TV or DVD player, but it's not going to make a very big difference. It's also possible it will make the content look worse.

Is it possible to turn a 700MB DVD format movie into an 8GB 1080P or H264?

Can you do it? Yes..
Should you do it? No.. There is no quality gain.. Can't add what isn't there.

And did someone say h264 looks bad. :eek:

And did someone say h264 looks bad. :eek:

It most certainly CAN look bad. It depends on how well a video has been encoded by an individual. Look at some of the threads on the Doom9 forums and you'll find many multipage topics criticizing those "digital copies" included with some Blu-ray movies.

Also, youtube 720p and 1080p videos are compressed to hell for the sake of bandwidth and usually never look good.

To paraphrase a famous saying by a famous non-existent person:

"Upscaling is bad, M'kay?" :p

buy a decent bluray player that does upsampling. You'll get the same results, but won't waste alot of time in the process.

Back