Video editing software

Yippee38

2[H]4U
I'm looking for software for editing my GoPro videos. I used to use Lightworks, and liked it, but it doesn't do 4k without buying the pro version. Since the pro version is $24/month, and I edit videos about once every 5 years, that's not worth the price. I tried Davinci Resolve 18, but when I import my vids, they all show up as Media Offline. I've tried about a dozen "fixes" for this, then gave up on that software.

Can anybody suggest decent video editing software?

BTW, I'm using a PC, and would prefer free, or at least a one time purchase prices, as opposed to a subscription price.

<edit>I ended up finding a fix for Davinci Resolve. NM.</edit>

Last edited:
I'm looking for software for editing my GoPro videos. I used to use Lightworks, and liked it, but it doesn't do 4k without buying the pro version. Since the pro version is $24/month, and I edit videos about once every 5 years, that's not worth the price. I tried Davinci Resolve 18, but when I import my vids, they all show up as Media Offline. I've tried about a dozen "fixes" for this, then gave up on that software.
In the case of Resolve, you have to pay for the studio version in order to decode certain types of h.265 files. The reason for this is that h.265 requires a license, so paying for the studio license covers the cost that Blackmagic has to pay.
Can anybody suggest decent video editing software?

BTW, I'm using a PC, and would prefer free, or at least a one time purchase prices, as opposed to a subscription price.
PC wise, Resolve is likely the best option, since it doesn't have a sub. Premiere I think is grossly overpriced. There are a couple of smaller options like Vegas, but I don't think anyone seriously uses it.
If you were on Mac, then iMovie is "enough" for people who just want to cut clips together and add titles. FCPX is basically a direct upgrade to iMovie (same interface) with all the pro features.

Everything else is dumb price wise. Unless you're a working professional I wouldn't use AVID. Assimilate Scratch just doesn't do enough (and isn't free, and it costs the same as Resolve Studio).
<edit>I ended up finding a fix for Davinci Resolve. NM.</edit>
Or that.

I know I am very late to the conversation, but let me throw my two cents anyway. I've tried most of the free Windows video editing programs (at work I can use the Adobe suite for free) and honestly always go back to Blender (as a video editor). The GUI is so minimalist and easy to work with, it has dozens of options including for basic color grading, and basically any setting is adjustable (not like many even paid alternatives). Davinci Resolve is another option but has a learning curve. HitFilm Express is another free alternative (very good in my opinion and less complicated than Resolve). Shutter Encoder (also free) is not a video editing software but a converter/merger/cutter/audio extractor and what not that does that without new rendering - if you are to use it for cutting or merging videos (of the same FPS), even adding subtitles or converting audio easily, it is one of a kind.

Not that late, there are some serious necroposts on this forum but yours isn't one.

I know I am very late to the conversation, but let me throw my two cents anyway. I've tried most of the free Windows video editing programs (at work I can use the Adobe suite for free) and honestly always go back to Blender (as a video editor). The GUI is so minimalist and easy to work with, it has dozens of options including for basic color grading, and basically any setting is adjustable (not like many even paid alternatives). Davinci Resolve is another option but has a learning curve. HitFilm Express is another free alternative (very good in my opinion and less complicated than Resolve). Shutter Encoder (also free) is not a video editing software but a converter/merger/cutter/audio extractor and what not that does that without new rendering - if you are to use it for cutting or merging videos (of the same FPS), even adding subtitles or converting audio easily, it is one of a kind.
Wow. I never considered using Blender for video editing. To be fair though, it's not like Blender doesn't have a learning curve either. ;) I've used it a bit, but not a ton.

You are right however its video editing interface is pretty simple and straightforward; also all the options are on the right, below and right-click (shortcuts are available and faster but not mandatory whatsoever). Modern video editing programs became so bloated with useless stuff (or let's call it you'd very rarely use it or 1 in 50 will ever do), and every more advanced option is hidden behind a menu, extra panel or deep inside it. Of course, Blender as a video editor is not comparable to many of the commercial ones but does well for 70% of all necessary, and it's free and regularly developed. Frankly speaking, I'd rather contribute to the product or financially support these developers (done may times) than rely on a subscription model where you don't own anything or are even forced to upgrade because your previously owned standalone version came with a lifetime license. And the benefits a new (commercial) version brings for at least 5+ years behind are already negligible considering the cost or the hype. Same as with CPUs for even longer unless you must always have the newest and the greatest from every new generation.

I use Movavi for editing my GoPro videos. They have a free version that is enough for basic editing + adding some effects. I like it because the interface is intuitive, and I do quick edits with it. It might be handy and cost less for those who edit their videos not so often.

In this article, you can find more details about its features + other alternatives to use.

Last edited:
DaVinci Resolve is good if you are on a budget. Movavi might be well performing, but I’m not sure if the mentioned problem would not happen there. My brother is travelling a lot with GoPro and as far as I know he used Adobe Premiere Pro, but he works at video production studio. So Premier Pro is good but looks is hardly affordable for non-regular use. He told that now Filmora desktop version is excellent for editing GoPro videos. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
What video editing software would you recommend for a newbie, that is easy to use? I'll be editing family videos taken with a camcorder and from a mirrorless camera. Once edited, they will then be copied to DVD for playback on a DVD player.
If it’s all rec709 stuff, then iMovie.

Back