Video Editing Build

jatx

n00b
Howdy all,

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly web development/browsing, photoshop, streaming, and video editing. No gaming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget around $650 but flexible
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, Texas
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU, RAM, case, graphics, main monitor, PSU, SSD/HDDs, any cooling required, dvd drive, mobo
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
USB webcam, USB headset, 19" dell monitor, USB keyboard, Razer USB mouse
6) Will you be overclocking?
Don't think so.
7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
NA
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Not desperate for any specific mobo features except
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64-bit Win 7

The other thing I'm turning over in my head is that I may travel, and possibly have to do graphics work on the road but it's not foreseeable. Considering a desktop + tablet combo vs just a great laptop... (all totaling closer to 1000).

What format will you be shooting in primarily?
Is time a factor when rendering? Are you editing for money with tight deadlines or just for fun?
Will you be upgrading from that 19" monitor? Editing on a 19" that may be 1440x900 is very constrictive as you have very little real estate for the timeline and the work panels.
Are you doing long format or short format videos?

I'll be shooting on my GoPro and iPhone for the most part. Mostly videos fit for display on YouTube that are 10 minutes or less. I would like to upgrade my monitor yes.

My current laptop can't play videos from my GoPro filmed at 1080p 60fps which will be the most common that I'll film in most likely.

Currently editing "just for fun" but there could be situations in which I will be working with tight deadlines.

Great questions, thanks!

I will be in Houston several times over the coming month and can hit the MicroCenter while I am there.

What software are you using for video editing? Will you need CUDA/OpenCL processing?

As Zepher stated a 19" monitor is pretty darn small for editing video - it's like trying to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel thru the keyhole of the front door. You should consider getting a 1080p monitor and go dual. If you go 24" 1080p it will be a close match in PPI to your 19" monitor if your 19" is 1440x900.

@rtangwai
I'm open to suggestion on the software side as well. Windows Movie Maker has served me well for most basic things, but I would like to be able to do more.

@Danny Bui
If I'm missing out on something very useful for an extra $100-150 then I can stretch that. I would like it to best useful for several years if possible.

@Danny Bui
If I'm missing out on something very useful for an extra $100-150 then I can stretch that. I would like it to best useful for several years if possible.

All right here's what I recommend:
$250 - Intel Core i5-4670K + Asus B86M-E/CSM mATX Motherboard Microcenter Combo
$55 - Corsair CMV8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$99 - Samsung 840 120GB SSD
$96 - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$22 - LG iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$50 - Corsair CX500 500W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite Black ATX Case
$150 - Asus VH238H Black 23" LCD Monitor
-----
Total: $772 plus tax on the CPU and mobo.

Notes:
- That single 8GB stick of RAM gives you the flexibility to upgrade to 32GB of RAM in the future without having replace any RAM. So if you ever start doing more hardcore photoshop or video editing work, you'll have plenty of RAM on tap.
- The onboard video should be more than enough for your kind of usage.
- That extra $150 pretty much covered the monitor alone as I agree with the others that editing 1080P video on a smaller monitor is a bit of a waste.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I personally am fond of Premiere Pro, but that's overkill for anything less than professional work.

An in-expensive and nice featured editor is Edius Neo from Canopus/Grass Valley,
edius-layout3.jpg

the above image is version 1 that own (won a copy at a video convention a few years back) but haven't upgraded since I do own the Adobe Suite, and I just use that. I have 3 screens and the left one was used as the Output monitor
$200 or less,
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_neo_3.5

- Intel Core i5-4670K + Asus B86M-E/CSM mATX Motherboard Microcenter Combo

I see the B85M-E/CSM and I'm assuming that's what you meant :). Many thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I'll be reading about each of these products and hopefully taking the dive next week.

Thanks for the recommendations on the video editing, I will have to look into it some more as well.

Thanks again everyone.

Micro Center actually doesn't carry that motherboard. Just confirmed with the customer service agent, he said he's not sure why it was on the list...

It doesn't look like many other ones on that list can match that price. What do you think?

Back