Video Card Upgrade: GTX470?

Daynja

Weaksauce
I currently have an nvidia 8800GTS. It's ok, but I'd like to play crysis and some of the newer games at high quality settings. The GTX480 and GTX580 seem too expensive and too hot. Is a GTX470 a good card to go with? Would a GTX460 be a better idea?

-Must be nvidia (lets not go into it)
-Looking to spend under $300
-I would prefer something that runs cooler. I've had a couple video cards burn themselves up, so I am fine with sacrificing performance for lower temps.
-Quiet at idle. I don't really care how loud it is when playing games.
-I have an intel e6850 (c2d 3.0ghz). I'm not sure how much this older processor will limit me.

Post your full specs, including PSU and monitor resolution.

I'm still using a CRT, so max resolution would be 1600x1200, but I normally play games in 1280x960.

power supply is a corsair hx520. (520w)

2GB RAM.

Go with a GTX 460 at that resolution and PSU. 1GB or 768MB version up to you really. The 1GB is slightly faster. But 768 should be enough.

did you even read what the OP asked for and look at his specs? a $130 gtx460 768mb would make much more sense for him. putting up with a loud, hot running, high power consuming card like that with an older dual core cpu is very silly.
I was just trying to max out the performance in his budget (well just out of it)
how about a 295 for $220??

iviyth0s you never seem to have any concept of what you're talking about, but I think its more likely you're purposely recommending the worst things possible because you're a troll. I've seen you do this in thread after thread. Your "recommendations" are not relevant to him and in fact won't even work in his current system at all, much less do what he wants.

You've made 442 posts in your first 38 days and I have yet to see you say something worthwhile.

iviyth0s you never seem to have any concept of what you're talking about, but I think its more likely you're purposely recommending the worst things possible because you're a troll. I've seen you do this in thread after thread. Your "recommendations" are not relevant to him and in fact won't even work in his current system at all, much less do what he wants.

You've made 442 posts in your first 38 days and I have yet to see you say something worthwhile.
295 on a hx520.
Good stuff.

295 on a hx520.
Good stuff.

Or a 480 for that matter. :rolleyes:

OP: Your choice is obvious. GTX 460 768mb. For your resolution and requirements, there can be no other choice. Quiet during idle and load, cool during idle and load, lightning fast for your resolution, costs 110-150 dollars, and made by NVIDIA.

I'm offering the best performing cards for his dollar, what are you doing....oh nothing...carry on :rolleyes:

295 on a hx520.
Good stuff.
His PSU could definitely run it, my system doesn't runs about 520W (from the power socket so subtract the 20% loss in conversion and the fact that my 4870x2 is less efficient than a 295 and that my quad is heavily overclocked and TADAH, you can do it)

But since I suppose it would be closer to comfort than many would suggest....
here's a 5870 for $245
or if you don't want to spend as much, a 6850 for $160

I would suggest a 5870 for cheap if you can still find one (they've been going for $215-$222 new on Newegg). If not then I'd say go with a GTX 460 or 6850, can't go wrong with either one.

I wouldn't exclude the GTX 460 1GB model. I'd say they're worth the premium over the 768mb model, especially if he ever upgrades to an LCD - this card, when overclocked, will be enough for 1080p until 28nm graphics matures in 2012 (possibly even until the 2nd gen 28nm cards are released).

By that time, he will have likely upgraded the rest of his system, including his PSU, but he'll still have a decent video card.

The GTX 470 is definitely faster (though hotter and lacking bitstreaming audio) than the GTX 460, so that should also be an option if future expansion is a consideration, and especially if higher resolutions than 1080p are desired (25% more RAM on the 470). The 470 should remain a consideration only because the price has plummeted. (I'd also want to verify that your HX 520 will be able to handle the load. For instance, you may be able to overclock a 460 all you want (possibly beyond stock 470 levels), but perhaps your PSU won't be able to handle an overclocked 470, especially if you upgrade your CPU and overclock that as well).

The MSI GTX 460 1GB HAWK, and possibly a few other models with aftermarket cooling seem to overclock very well w/o much noise. $170 max. This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...518&cm_re=gtx_460_hawk-_-14-127-518-_-Product - had a substantial coupon in addition to the rebate... not sure about now.

I've also seen deals on GTX 470 cards featuring relatively quiet aftermarket cooling solutions (MSI twin frozr comes to mind). This shouldn't be more than $200, if you find the right deal. I think it was this card on sale for about $180 (or less?) during Black Friday: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127513

Of course the 460/470 cards turn up used quite often as well for $150-$165 and $185-$215, respectively.

The GTX 560 and 570 will be released soon. Because they are new, they will be priced a little higher relative to their performance. The 560 is really your only option, and only if it comes in at below $230, and overclocks just as well as the 460. This is the most I'd pay for a 1GB card these days - this level of performance, when overclocked, nearly maxes out the utility of 1GB of memory anyway (5970 = waste of GPU power, for example).

I'm also waiting to see which card would best suit my 1080p gaming needs until late 2012 or so. I figure I can wait until both Red and Green reveal their cards (literally).

I'm offering the best performing cards for his dollar, what are you doing....oh nothing...carry on :rolleyes:

But you aren't. The GTX 480 is hot and loud and the OP has already stated he doesn't want this. And also the 480 will be severely bottlenecked by the core 2 duo cpu he has.

And something else you never even looked at is the resolution he plays at, It would be silly to purchase a GTX480.

To the OP get a 1GB version of the 460 and then use the left over money and save some then consider upgrading your CPU or even your monitor,

Like another I like the MSI Hawk GTX 460 1Gb for 190usd. Get that and OC it with Afterburner. If you decide you want more, go SLi.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

If you bother with the rebate that card is only 160usd. It will likely approach 850 on the core without voltage increases and may hit 900 with that. As always overclocking is luck of the draw though.

I currently have an nvidia 8800GTS. It's ok, but I'd like to play crysis and some of the newer games at high quality settings. The GTX480 and GTX580 seem too expensive and too hot. Is a GTX470 a good card to go with? Would a GTX460 be a better idea?

-Must be nvidia (lets not go into it)
-Looking to spend under $300
-I would prefer something that runs cooler. I've had a couple video cards burn themselves up, so I am fine with sacrificing performance for lower temps.
-Quiet at idle. I don't really care how loud it is when playing games.
-I have an intel e6850 (c2d 3.0ghz). I'm not sure how much this older processor will limit me.

-- GTX 470 is obviously faster than the GTX460
-- More VRAM sets you ok for the future.
-- It's quiet @ Idle, though this card can be quiet in general if you have a cool case or just play around with the fan profile
-- It's within your budget
-- They're designed to be able to run very hot and are not as hot as people say they are, don't worry about it "burning up"
-- Your processor will limit you on either the 460 or 470, look to overclock it or replace it.

-- GTX 470 is obviously faster than the GTX460
-- More VRAM sets you ok for the future.
-- It's quiet @ Idle, though this card can be quiet in general if you have a cool case or just play around with the fan profile
-- It's within your budget
-- They're designed to be able to run very hot and are not as hot as people say they are, don't worry about it "burning up"
-- Your processor will limit you on either the 460 or 470, look to overclock it or replace it.
the reference 460 runs much cooler and quieter than a reference 470. even if he overclocks his cpu a little he will not see a difference in many cases between a 460 and 470 at 1600. there is no point for him to put up with the downsides of a 470 when a cheaper 460 is better matched to his pc and we he wants out of a card.

the reference 460 runs much cooler and quieter than a reference 470. even if he overclocks his cpu a little he will not see a difference in many cases between a 460 and 470 at 1600. there is no point for him to put up with the downsides of a 470 when a cheaper 460 is better matched to his pc and we he wants out of a card.

Yep all true points, but the GTX470 can be just as quiet idle.. I would say it would run hotter than the 460 by default yes, a small tinker can solve that especially if he doesn't car how loud it is while playing games as he said in the opening post.. However if he's looking to spend such money on a card then why not get the faster card? If he upgrades in 6months or a year then he'd be better off with the GTX470, he has a max budget of £300 may as well get the best, even if you can barely see the difference until an upgrade of CPU and even then he will see the difference in more GPU dependent games than CPU dependent. I don't know, maybe that's just my way of thinking.

Yep all true points, but the GTX470 can be just as quiet idle.. I would say it would run hotter than the 460 by default yes, a small tinker can solve that especially if he doesn't car how loud it is while playing games as he said in the opening post.. However if he's looking to spend such money on a card then why not get the faster card? If he upgrades in 6months or a year then he'd be better off with the GTX470, he has a max budget of £300 may as well get the best, even if you can barely see the difference until an upgrade of CPU and even then he will see the difference in more GPU dependent games than CPU dependent. I don't know, maybe that's just my way of thinking.
Though the 460 that's cheapest now is an amazing clocker since MSI enables extra voltage for overclocking and it has a better than average cooler :p

If you can get a good deal on a GTX470 get it. GTX470 is superior in terms of raw performance.

GTX470 around $200 if you look for a deal. For that price, it seems like a no brainer. Otherwise, I'd get the cheapest 460 and save the rest of the cash...or buy an LCD.

Why is everyone pushing more expensive option onto him when he clearly doesn't need it?

Even if op upgrades his CPU and gets 24" display he still will have good enought performance GPU till new generation of consoles arrives.

Why is everyone pushing more expensive option onto him when he clearly doesn't need it?

Even if op upgrades his CPU and gets 24" display he still will have good enought performance GPU till new generation of consoles arrives.

Future proofing. Also a GTX470 isn't necessarily more expensive. All about finding a good deal on one. I got GTX470<$160 at black friday deal.

Main reason for going with GTX470 is for having greater gaming power and ability to turn on all the 3D effects for greater visual experience.

Future proofing. Also a GTX470 isn't necessarily more expensive. All about finding a good deal on one. I got GTX470<$160 at black friday deal.

Main reason for going with GTX470 is for having greater gaming power and ability to turn on all the 3D effects for greater visual experience.
It's not Black Friday anymore :rolleyes:

460 gtx only 130 on newegg, literally unbeatable price for how much performance you get out of it.

Though the 460 that's cheapest now is an amazing clocker since MSI enables extra voltage for overclocking and it has a better than average cooler :p

If you bring Overclocking into this then you have to consider overclocking of the other card as well, which makes the arguement slightly pointless.

Thank you everyone for your opinions. Also thank you for considering my specific situation, as strange as it may be. I think at a minimum, we determined that a GTX460 and GTX470 are my options. While the price difference doesn't matter to me, I think I will go with the GTX460 because it runs cooler and the overwhelming response that the 470 is overkill in my situation.

For the record, I don't plan on overclocking and when I do eventually upgrade to a 1080p LCD, it will probably come with an entirely new computer too. So I don't plan on running higher resolutions with this card.

i would say a 460 would be the best bet, although a gts 450 would cover you just as well.

Back