Video Card recommendation for BF3

laithmeister

Weaksauce
Ok, I have Radeon 6870. Should I upgarde to 6970 or buy another 6870 and run in cross . I am running Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz LGA 1155.

This is an easy question which gets asked all too often. Simply get the most powerful video card you can afford or are willing to buy. Now keep in mind that once you get past the second or third highest end NVIDIA or AMD card, you may see diminishing returns with today's games on monitors that only run resolutions of 1920x1080 or less.

get another 6870.

They go for under $200.. seen them as low as 140.. and it will beat any single card that you can otherwise afford.. I believe same horsepower as a gtx 580.

Two 6870s in CF will outperform a GTX580, and will be able to get max settings on 1080p resolutions in basically all of today's games. Considering they are ~150$ after rebate in the US right now, the performance per dollar cannot be beat. Those two in CF will easily last you until the next generation/DX12 cards/as long as you want them to.

Sweet.... Thx guys. Now non video card question can ps3 players play on same server as pc players meaning against each other?

if battlefield 3 is your main reason for wanting to upgrade. wait until the full game is released and see how it scales in crossfire. Let that be your deciding factor.

if battlefield 3 is your main reason for wanting to upgrade. wait until the full game is released and see how it scales in crossfire. Let that be your deciding factor.

this. bf3 is a big name game so it should have good cf support but you never know.

I believe even the beta is showing good cf/sli scaling, so I don't think it'll step backwards, although it is possible. Biggest complaint I've heard is just the random bugs across the board in the beta.

Ok, I have Radeon 6870. Should I upgarde to 6970 or buy another 6870 and run in cross . I am running Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz LGA 1155.

Get another 6870. I've got two in my rig and an i7 920 and I run BF3 @ 1920x1080 no problem.

Um...I don't actually see any SLI/CF setups in that review...

While I just glanced at that link and tried to piece together what was going on, it appeared to show a single gpu framerate in the 40s and a dual gpu just about double in the 80s. Think that was the point, but I could be wrong.

lol

Hell no. If that happened, well, rape isn't even a close descriptive term.

You know, it's funny, when I was looking for a good server the other day I noticed that a couple of them had the BF3 logo with Xbox under them (as opposed to PC) - I was wondering if somehow they were letting PC users play with Xbox players, but it must have just been some kind of icon error or something. I should have tried to join one.

This might be stupid question that I should know the answer to, but why can't the two play online together.

Because it'd be ridiculously imbalanced - Try playing a first person shooter on a console, then on a PC, and notice the difference with accuracy - the PC players would just demolish even the good console players.

It is scheduled to happen with CS:GO. Cross platform gaming, at least PS3 and PC. They are allowing PS3 to plug in keyboard and mouse. I hope it works out!

This might be stupid question that I should know the answer to, but why can't the two play online together.

B/c pc gamers are on the average older than console gamers and don't want to hear the wide variety of 11 year olds screaming through their headset.

Something tells me you were looking for a technical reason, but I prefer this answer =)

It is scheduled to happen with CS:GO. Cross platform gaming, at least PS3 and PC. They are allowing PS3 to plug in keyboard and mouse. I hope it works out!

should work just fine so long as PS3 users can use KB/M

Back