Video card needed for server computer. Recommendations?

What do you need it for? The motherboard has built in video and remote access.

If the spec sheet for the motherboard is correct, then the built-in video is a Matrox G200 variant making it useless for most things. The Supermicro board that I had was similar with an AST2400 integrated video chip and no ability to access the integrated Intel HD video capability of the CPU. Mine was limited to 1280x1024 resolution or maybe 1024x768 and was annoying during initial configuration to get Remote Desktop capability enabled.

I do agree that we need more specifics regarding the use of the new video card to make an accurate recommendation. One thing I can offer is that as far as I recall, AMD video cards support PCIe pass-through in virtual environments whereas nVIDIA was much more touchy about it.

If this is really a server, I would think that G200 ought to be perfectly adequate.

That board also has IPMI, meaning you can remote into the motherboard itself using Supermicro's client. No need for an actual graphics card unless this is going to get used for something actually graphics-intensive.

If this is really a server, I would think that G200 ought to be perfectly adequate.

That board also has IPMI, meaning you can remote into the motherboard itself using Supermicro's client. No need for an actual graphics card unless this is going to get used for something actually graphics-intensive.

True. I was making the assumption that he was asking because he was looking to use it as more of a workstation than a server. Without specifics, we can only guess...

That's correct, I'm planning on using it to utilize more of the workstation aspect as it's going to be used for more graphic intensive labor, I should've been more clear about that, I apologize and I appreciate the replies so far.

The only low-profile cards you can get with beef are the GTX 1050 Ti, or you can browse the Quadro or FirePro cards built just for your situation. But they're usually just more expensive and less powerful.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081

And how "low profile" are we talking here? Single slot or dual-slot? See my post here for more information:

https://hardforum.com/threads/htpc-advice-needed-current-state-of-the-htpc.1918518/#post-1042677576

So what exactly do you have here? Low-profile is just another word for "half-height" that's very clearly depicted in my post.

Is the depth single-slot, or dual-slot?

It's basically the difference between a POS (single), and an actually capable GPU like the GTX 1050 Ti. You simply can't dissipate the heat of a powerful GPU in a low-profile, single-slot card.

Last edited:
Okay looking at that case, you can handle the 1050 Ti low-profile card I linked above.

You actually have room for two video cards in the first and third x16 PCIe slots on that motherboard,.

Last edited:
Okay looking at that case, you can handle the 1050 Ti low-profile card I linked above.

You actually have room for two video cards in the first and third PCIe slots on that motherboard,.
Really appreciate it man, I'm going to give the 1050 TI a whirl for sure. Going to buy and install today :)

Back