Video Card Help

Zarich

Limp Gawd
I kinda hate to ask, but here goes. Running 1920x1080. Currently with an 8800gts 320. q9550 @ 3.4 with 6 gigs ddr800 in sync. I have been going to upgrade for months now. I am completely at an impass with myself. My MAX budget is $400. My card prior to this was a 9800pro. Nice card, but the drivers I hated and the CCC was a turd. I understand that is better, but it is something that eats at the back of my brain a bit. I find myself whirling and unable to pull the trigger on a card.

I have considered the 5850. It just doesn't feel like quite enough card. I realize you can OC the card to 5870 levels, but I am not keen on OC a video card for several reasons. First is you really don't know if your card will OC. Second a lot of issues can immediately be traced to an OC on a vid card. So for my purposes I want to stay away from OCing cards. I would still get a 5850 if the price was right, but I only upgrade every 2 years on the vid card so I need it to last.

I have considered a 5870. Frankly it is at the top of my budget and that never feels quite right. It seems a lot of money to spend on a card. Plus the value ratio is not there as it is just not that much faster than the 5850. But it is the fastest of the group. It is also quiet and cool which I like.

Finally is the gtx 470. This is the card that has pretty much paralyzed my decision making. First off it is slightly faster than a stock 5850, and slightly slower than a stock 5870. It is also priced just slightly above a 5850 and slightly below a 5870 (My research shows most 5850s now at $310 + ship, the 470 at $350 + ship, and the 5870 can be had for $390 free ship). My motherboard only supports a single gpu solution so this is my only option for physx. Not that I use it much now. However, the heat is scaring me off. I work hard to manage my thermals and even then my room ambient is almost always 32 to 35c and thus makes it a tad more challenging. The other thing scaring me off is the speed is just not $40 more than the 5850. Sometimes it falls behind. Some say that drivers will improve it's performance. They said the same thing about the 8800gts 320. It was a nice card out of the gate, but the performance never lept with new drivers. So I don't expect to see much more out of the 470. The just cause 2 comparison really threw a wrench in it when it showed the 470 significantly slower than the 5850, but then proceeded to say it was the best value for the game. Yargh.

So my head spins constantly. I cannot get myself to pull the trigger. I have gotten to where I refuse to game because at my current res most are just unplayable. I need a prod in the right direction.

Get the 5850. Honestly that 320mb framebuffer on your 8800 is killing you more than the card is at that resolution. I play at the same resolution you do and went from 8800gts-->gtx 260 core216-->5870 and just recently downgraded to a 4890. At 1920x1080 we're at that resolution where having a good card matters a good bit, but we aren't totally stuck to getting the latest and greatest to get solid performance. It's the people playing 2560x1600 and such that really need all they can get. I think you'll be more than happy with a 5850.

I second the above poster. The 5850 should be more than enough. Heck, you could even get away with using a 5770. Turn the graphics options down a little bit and it would work fine.

If you aren't gaming at 2560x1600 or higher, you don't need a 5870 or 480, anyway.

I play just about all types of games. I don't want to turn things down and I want to make sure I will be good for 2 years hence the reason the 5870 is in consideration.

What PSU do you have? Bad idea to upgrade the video card if the PSU can't handle it.

You can't game on that resolution with an 8800gts? I have the same resolution and I played games maxed out on a 512mb 4850. Sorry to go off topic on that...
Anyway, I would go with either the 5850 or 5830. That way you're still under your budget, but AFAIK, either should be fine to run that resolution

Its a 320. So the ram is what is really hurting me. I have to drop my rez down to 1600x900 and even then the ram is an issue.

Would it be worth it to spend the extra $40 for the gtx 470 for physx and cuda?

Last edited:
Its a 320. So the ram is what is really hurting me. I have to drop my rez down to 1600x900 and even then the ram is an issue.

It usually is above 1280x1024, even with games from early 2007, the time of the card's launch. I bought one myself since I couldn't afford $400-450 of the 640MB variant. Performace drops off steeply after 1680x1050. A GTX260 or 1GB 4870 should be enough to keep details maxed out at 1920x1200 in most modern titles and these days they can be found for less than $200 if you know where to look. If PhysX and CUDA support are a must go for the GTX470. If said features aren't enough to sway your opinion then you will be more than pleased with the more energy efficient and quieter 5850.

I just upgraded from a 8800GTS 320 to a 5850 and I can recommend you do the same. It's a great card even without any overclocking. Just Cause 2 was one of the first games I played through after getting the 5850 and it played like a dream with all settings maxxed. I only play at 1280x1024 and I overclock the core by 175 mhz, but your experience should be pretty close. I was getting 45-60 FPS, with the usually staying around 60.

Also, I highly recommend using D3Doverrider to force triple buffering for Just Cause 2.

5850 if you want to get best bang/buck. 5870 is also a great card that I can highly recommend. Sounds like based on your thermal issues you might want to avoid the 470.

Right now with bing it looks like I can do a 5850 for $273, gtx 470 for $303 or a 5870 for $350. Good prices. Need to jump on this today. The thermals bug me on the 470, but the physx and cuda make it tempting. Yargh.

Wait wait wait, your room is 32-35 degrees Celsius?

I'd hope that is a typo. Twice.

Everyone keeps recommending the 5850. My concern is that by next summer I will be forced to turn down all my settings. It looks like it struggles now in games like just cause 2 and stuff. Maybe I am wrong.

Everybody keeps recommending the 5850 because of the concern with heat. I went from a 8800GT to a GTX 480. As long you have a good airflow in your case. I would take the heat portion out of the list of reasons why not to purchase a 470. Spending the extra to get physx and cuda. Thats your choice. Most games still doesn't support physx.

Everybody will agree with me is that as time goes on new games become more demanding and you will be forced to turn down your settings. We all deal with this issue so we either A) turn down the settings or B) buy new hardware. I recommend maybe waiting for the ATi refresh, if your too impatient, go with the 5850.

Everyone keeps recommending the 5850. My concern is that by next summer I will be forced to turn down all my settings. It looks like it struggles now in games like just cause 2 and stuff. Maybe I am wrong.

No matter how much you spend on the video card, as Banditfromhell said, you're gonna end up turning down some settings sooner or later. But the drop in settings isn't that dramatic over the course of one year though.

How much heat and noise are we talking? I have an antec 300 with two scythe 120s in front, a 140 and 120 with the ps pulling out the rear. No side fan. my internal ambient in the case is 30-32 usually. my 8800gts 320 is very quiet.

Back