Video card for HTPC? Also, question about HDTV

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
I was given the barebones of an older Dell Optiplex computer at work, it was about to get thrown away. It was missing a hard drive and RAM, but I picked up a 500GB SATA for $60, and 2GB of Crucial Ballistix PC6400 for $20 at Fry's, and now have the machine up and running. It has the following specs:

Update: bought ATI HD 3450 today

Pentium D 945 (3.4Ghz dual core)
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400
ATI HD 3450
500GB Hitachi SATA II 16MB cache
DVD+-RW
Dell PSU

It's running Windows XP Pro SP3 at the moment. I have it connected to my Samsung HLP5063w 50" DLP TV right now via HDMI.

This brings me to the problem I am having with my TV. When I have it connected to a DVD player or on cable, the image fills the entire screen area, however when connected to my HTPC at 1280x720, I have about a half inch border ONLY on the right side, not on the left, top, or bottom. I need to figure out how to shift the overall image a tad to the right. ATI's control panel will let me EXPAND the screen size, but not shift it, ideas?

You might try the OSD through your TV remote. Also check the catalyst control center and do a "force TV detection" if the display is not recognised.

OSD has nothing. I don't need to force TV detection, it is showing up fine, it's just that the image is slightly shifted to the left, leaving me with about a half inch of black bar to the right of unused screen space.

My HDMI gives me an even border all the way around. Fill and overscan do not meet the edges properly.The VGA cable gives me full screen. No Fill or overscan. DVI I don't have on my Westinghouse 42". Might try the VGA. Don't know what to tell you.

VGA gives me a large border all around, HDMI gives me a border only on the right side of the screen. I may try DVI later.

Try getting the latest catalyist drivers from ati.com, in the control center there should be a way to add profiles for hdtv's, in here you may fing the profile that your tv is operating on.

Back