Video Card for BC2

Met-AL

Supreme [H]ardness
Will a HD5770 perform well enough for Bad Company 2?

1650x1050

Specs
Core 2 E8400 3.0Ghz CPU that can clock up to 3.6Ghz.
4GB RAM
Vista 64 Ult
X-Fi

Currently running a 320MB 8800GTS and it ran the beta poorly when I tried it.

it should run it. but dont expect eyefinity. ive got a 5870 and trying to play @ 5760x1200 is really pushing it even with settings at medium. im so hoping mr taxman gives me some cash to flip to a crossfire setup...

Not sure where he mentioned Eyefinity.

But your processor might also be holding you back a little, at least for the beta. Hopefully the release does better on dual-cores.

i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB 1600
ATI 5770

It ran really smooth on medium graphics but as soon as you got into a vehicle the fps would literally drop in half. Graphic problem also made it nearly impossible to fly choppers.

Overall grade: Wouldn't recommend, unless your cool with basic graphics.

XFX 5870

Ran the beta at max settings avg FPS 80 to 100. Same problem as the 5770 but not nearly as bad when you get into vehicles. Probably 25% FPS drop while in vehicles.

However my XFX with 10.2 would give me the GSOD, and with 10.3 it would give me the BlackSOD.

When it's running, it was lights out. Ran much cooler than the 295. But unlike the 295, if the 5870 got above 85c it would start to artifact and crash the system. Where as with the 295 it doesn't care how hot it gets, it just keeps on trying.

evga 295 - Installed, running, but can't try it because steam hasn't finished downloading. Go Go GO.

i ran the beta maxed out on a 5770, p2 955, and 4gigs ram @ 1600x1200.

with the advanced lighting on, fps was lower 40s, upper 30s, with alot of dips into the 20s. turned off advanced lighting (almost no difference in lightning) and i was hanging out mid 50s-60s, with some dips into the mid-lower 30s.

But your processor might also be holding you back a little, at least for the beta. Hopefully the release does better on dual-cores.

I have a G-15 keyboard so I was able to observe CPU usage in real time and my usage maximum was only 75% on both cores. The CPU seemed to handle it pretty well.

i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB 1600
ATI 5770

It ran really smooth on medium graphics but as soon as you got into a vehicle the fps would literally drop in half. Graphic problem also made it nearly impossible to fly choppers.

XFX 5870

Ran the beta at max settings avg FPS 80 to 100. Same problem as the 5770 but not nearly as bad when you get into vehicles. Probably 25% FPS drop while in vehicles.

However my XFX with 10.2 would give me the GSOD, and with 10.3 it would give me the BlackSOD.

When it's running, it was lights out. Ran much cooler than the 295. But unlike the 295, if the 5870 got above 85c it would start to artifact and crash the system. Where as with the 295 it doesn't care how hot it gets, it just keeps on trying.

evga 295 - Installed, running, but can't try it because steam hasn't finished downloading. Go Go GO.

I don't know what resolution you were running, but I got excellent FPS in vehicles and had most of my settings on Medium or High with 1x AA or AF..

I don't know what resolution you were running, but I got excellent FPS in vehicles and had most of my settings on Medium or High with 1x AA or AF..

Sorry: 1680 x 1050 120mhz.

The FPS was ok in tanks with the 5770 if I was off in a distance. But if the tank rolled into the bomb site at the first point the FPS would drop to 10.

I still have the 5770, 5870, and 295, so I'm going to do a BC2 showdown.

he didnt mention it. i was just putting my experience in there for reference. besides once you get an eyefinity-enabled card the temptation is going to be there. imo i'd go with a 5870 if you're going the ati route. it would give you a bit more headroom. bc2 is a pig.
i think im going to flip my resolution and do a 1900x1200 test with bc2 to see what kind of fps i get..

i7 920 @ 3.8
6GB 1600
ATI 5770

XFX 5870

You need to say what resolution you're playing at to see if this applies to him or not.

Edit: nvm, someone already called you on it in the 2 mins I was away before I hit the "post" button ;).

From what I hear the 260 is pretty similar to the 5770. I ran 1920x1200 with no problems in the Beta, was always 35-40fps (even in vehicles) with HBAO off, 2xAA and everything high. The only times it dropped were when a building was falling on top of me with grenades going off and smoke and explosions etc. etc.
1650 x 1050 should run with no problems. Read rig specs in sig.

It is a pig but not that bad. My 9800GTX plays the game decently in my opinion. 1920x1200 Max settings with 2xAA 16xAF with HBAO on. I have only tried the single and on average I get 31 fps, with some random moments where it dips anywhere from 18-20 to 26-28.

BC2 beta did make me lower my settings a bit but it ran fine and even better now. I say make your money be worth something and pick up a 5850.

I've got a 5770 with an i7 and running 1680x1050. 16x10 is actually about the limit for the 5770 even going to 19x12 there is a huge fall off. When I picked the 5770 over the 5850 it was half to save $150 and half because at 16x10 I saw that the 5770 was adequate for me for now.

So I might as well stick with my 8800GTS until I get enough loot for a 5850 or better.

Just played 45 minutes online with the 295 and the issue when you get in a vehicle is still present. I could run the game at 8x 8xaa as long as I'm running around the FPS is around 140. But when I get in vehicles it's going down to as low as 40 even with the 295.

I'm going to play the rest of the day on the 295, then put in the 5870 tomorrow to compare scores.

edit:

Swapped out the 295 and put in the 5870. FPS doubled if not tripled. It's either a driver or software issue.

Last edited:
Hey Met,
One of my clan buddies is also running a GTS 320MB and its pretty rough for him. His proc is way older though and he's gonna get the 5850 soon. I'm just waiting for prices to come down myself before I make the jump.

Not to highjack, but does anyone know if the ATI long wait times between rounds has been resolved? On my 8800GT 512MB card, I'm always the first one in the round easily, meaning I get pick of vehicles. My proc is not OC'd but my vid card is slightly OC'd. I'm running everything at Medium settings and it runs smooth. I need to install FRAPS so I know exactly what my fps is.

I'm running
i7 920
6GB RAM
Win7 64
X-fi

i too have XFX 5770 card while i run BC 2 on my system it will take all settings up to max......... except AA 1x only i dono why its accepting only 1xAA but in gtx260 its showing 16xQA.... sometimes i feel bad that why i didnt bought GTX260??????? whats the solution for this

Last edited:
pick up a 4870 X2 on ebay, ~$250 +/-. Currently you would endure slow map loads but supposedly fix coming for that next week (and already fixed for 5k series).

Can't beat the performance for that price, it's pretty on par with a 5870 -dx11.

I had a single 5750 in my rig in my signature. I really didnt have any problems with the retail game, it would get a bit choppy sometimes but that was with all settings high and HBAO on. MSAA 2X AF 4x. If you turn off HBAO it improves alot. Having said that i did add a second 5750 and it is much better now. I p;lay at 1680x1050.

You'll definitely want a quad-core for this game. I couldn't figure out why it was running so choppy on my 5850 until I checked the task manager and noticed both cores of my overclocked E8500 were maxxed out. Even with my new Q9650, it basically uses three of the four cores.

I will let you know once i put my i5 750 system together next week. Wanna be sure i am not cpu bound! I will try some rounds with and without Crossfire.

I have a XPS 435 ,intel Core i7-920 Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz), 12gig memory, 2 1tb hard drives , and a ATI 5850. I am able to run everything maxed out with no lag online. I do think i have the hbao off and bloom off, but I will check. This was played in DX11 at first. I have been playing in DX9 lately because of the slow load times, but I will try the update tonight. I am betting a I7-920 and a 5850 might be close to the minimum to get all max on this game. I feel like when I am playing the game that i am on the edge of not having enough processor and graphics card for this game. But it does play with the above configuration smooth and is very enjoyable.

i too have XFX 5770 card while i run BC 2 on my system it will take all settings up to max......... except AA 1x only i dono why its accepting only 1xAA but in gtx260 its showing 16xQA.... sometimes i feel bad that why i didnt bought GTX260??????? whats the solution for this

BFBC2 only has 1xAA as an option if you're using DX9. You have to be using DX10 or DX11 (Vista or Win7) to get AA in that game.

as already posted in this thread but its all about cpu..

i went from a [email protected] to a [email protected]
I have a 8800gtx
I went from 35-60 fps with mostly low or medium settings
to 50-75 fps with all max besides shadows, 2x AA..
with the same old 8800gtx..

now once I get my 5850 im sure ill be all max with great fps

is that playing online, or singleplayer ? You will have decreased fps online.

as already posted in this thread but its all about cpu..

Yes it is. I screwed around for a while tweaking and nothing helped my FPS, they just flat out sucked at 20-30 FPS. Nothing I changed seemed to make much of a difference. I ended up installing eVGA Precision and checking my GPU usage since I saw a bunch of posts about low GPU usage over at TotalGaming. My GPU usage was in the 30% range, so that said to me that my CPU was the bottleneck and a big one at that.

I cranked up my CPU clock to 3.75GHz from stock 3.0GHz and my FPS doubled and the game plays very nicely now at 1650x1050 Medium DX10 mode.

E8400 3.75Ghz
8800GTS 621mhz/800 something ram
4GB RAM
Vista 64

Here are some screenshots of after I over clocked my CPU.
thumb-IMAGE_132.jpg

thumb-IMAGE_133.jpg

thumb-IMAGE_134.jpg

Will a HD5770 perform well enough for Bad Company 2?

1650x1050

Specs
Core 2 E8400 3.0Ghz CPU that can clock up to 3.6Ghz.
4GB RAM
Vista 64 Ult
X-Fi

Currently running a 320MB 8800GTS and it ran the beta poorly when I tried it.

Your processor is dual core. Battlfield Bad Company 2 utilize all four (non hyperthreaded) cores. I just upgraded from a Q9650 to a i7 980X. Game is much smoother on an i7 than a Core2Quad. Nothing was really changed in my hardware other than going from dual channel memory to tri channel memory and going from a Core2Quad to an i7.

The videocard will help. But the game is really pushing those (non hyperthreaded) cores to the max.

Your processor is dual core. Battlfield Bad Company 2 utilize all four (non hyperthreaded) cores. I just upgraded from a Q9650 to a i7 980X. Game is much smoother on an i7 than a Core2Quad. Nothing was really changed in my hardware other than going from dual channel memory to tri channel memory and going from a Core2Quad to an i7.

The videocard will help. But the game is really pushing those (non hyperthreaded) cores to the max.

That's because you have 2 more cores than the average i7 users :D

Looks like around 80% or so maybe more.. Hard to tell.
With fraps running on my i5 750@ 4Ghz. One card averages around 45-50 fps (16X AF 4X AA). Two card jumps that to about 80FPS. I will run some benchmarks with fraps on some maps and see what i get.

I now get 22000 in 3Dmark 06

Last edited:
I have a E8400 as well, stock speed 3.0, So does this mean i have to overclock it to play it?

I have a E8400 as well, stock speed 3.0, So does this mean i have to overclock it to play it?

It's up to you. I have friends that play this game on old x2 4200 CPU's and HD 3250 cards and think it's fun.

I'm maxed out and averaging around 50+.

It's my understanding the game loves quad-core's etc.

So any decent quad-core and a mid-tier card from the past 2 generations should treat most people just fine. Really, it all depends on how high you want your settings and what kind of resolution we're talking about....

i can tell you that 2 5770's run it smooth as butter at 8xAA, 16xAF, 1680x1050

Back