• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Video card dillema

digilink

Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2002
Messages
566
Help me out guys... I want to buy a new video card, and everything I've seen so far does not have the port requirements I am seeking. Right now here is what I have:

XFX 6970 w/2x DVI ports and 2x Mini Display ports
2 24" monitors, these are tied to the DVI ports
2 17" monitors, these are tied to the mini display ports with adapters (mini display to DVI)

I only normally use one of the 24's for gaming, the rest are purely for productivity. I can't really afford to go with an SLI setup, so this led me to thinking of alternatives. I thought if I got a card with at least 2x mini display ports I could tie those to the 24's and then install a second video card to support the 17's with DVI. Having never done this before though makes me wonder if it would be a pain in the ass to setup and manage or if it will work without incident?

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
 
what video cards are you looking at that don't support your setup?

almost any 7950 supports what you are looking for.

granted you may need an HDMI->DVI cable (Monoprice - 2 or 3$)

looking at some of the 7950's most of them have 2 mini + HDMI + DVI (HDMI == DVI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414

teh xfx has the dual mini display port + dual dvi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150616

Thanks.... I'm actually looking at all of my available options, I'm thinking of going with Nvidia this time around and that's where I started running into the problem. I'd like to at least get a 680 or 7970, and I honestly had not considered doing an HDMI to DVI cable. That's actually a really good idea. Here's one of the cards I am looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130798

It has two DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 display port. I could use the HDMI and display port I suppose, I'd just have to buy a new adapter and cable. This could end up being a better option vs. trying to mangle multiple non-sli video cards.
 
Back
Top