Viacom: “Mob Mentality” Doomed SOPA and PIPA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Viacom's CEO Philippe Dauman thinks that “mob mentality” doomed SOPA and PIPA. Of course he wasn't saying that about YOU, it was those other people that opposed SOPA that he was talking about. He even went as far as to say "It became almost religious dogma." :rolleyes:

The “mob mentality” and “unfortunate rhetoric” around the protest of SOPA and PIPA earlier this month unnecessarily polarized the copyright debate between the technology and entertainment industries, said Viacom President and CEO Philippe Dauman, speaking today at D: Dive Into Media.

Philly D doesn't have to worry about that religious dogma. Though if it happened, we would probably sacrifice him to our gods. You know Bram Cohen and the people behind Pirate Bay.

Our gods demand blood, or there will be no downloads today.

Wait you mean mob mentality like the MPAA threatening to cut off the funding to politicians if they don't vote their way?

Nice to see a media exec recognizing the Church of Kopimism's strong following here in the US, should help when they seek formal recognition...

So democracy and the will of the public is religious dogma now? That's how they see us? Now I've seen everything. I guess the whole country is a cult of people who care about personal freedoms.

I think the "screw human beings over so we can keep getting rich off of other people's ideas" mentality doomed SOPA and PIPA.

He's just another mouthbreathing tool serving as a useless mouthpiece representing his own corporate interests. He's a retard, in other words.

We'll never give up our freedoms, at least, not if we can help it. In this case, activism on a massive scale and educating the masses are what helped defeat these pieces of legislation, but they are not dead yet, they will pass eventually in one form or another, by another name. Count on it.

My interpretation:

"waaaaaaah. waaaaaah they didn't let us make our own rules to control all content everywhere. they complained and stopped me from being the overlords of everything media/content related."

The suits at the top are just totally out in left field. They sit in their Golden towers and haven't a clue whats going on outside,other then what they are spoon fed by their directors.

So the one time in the last 50 years that our representatives actually listened to their constiuents, they suffer from mob mentality? So they have done such a fucked up job the last few decades that when they do it right, it is considered the wrong way?

Oh, you'd rather live somewhere else? Puh-leeze, everywhere has "wage slavery" -- Unless you're a tree hugging hippy, then you live off of the earth (And subsequently smell like shit)

Except you get a lot more for your money elsewhere. Conversely, you can get a whole helluva lot less too.
And just because some people know how to live off of the Earth, doesn't mean they're nasty smelling tree-hugging hippies.

Viacom: Sometimes the mob can be right. You lost this round. Suck it up and adapt your business model or go bankrupt like every other failed company. That's how it works. If you can't stand a little democracy once in a while there's plenty of other less democratic countries in which you can do business.

Oh, you'd rather live somewhere else? Puh-leeze, everywhere has "wage slavery" -- Unless you're a tree hugging hippy, then you live off of the earth (And subsequently smell like shit)

If I had a choice I'd rather be here but have enough money to jump off the perpetual debt wheel (Not move into a mud-hut in south Africa). That said, I could be very happy with a home that utilizes geothermal, wind, and solar power. I would love a 2011 GMC 2500 Denali HD that can utilize bio-diesel. I could also be happy working less hours a week or doing a job that I really want to do, not that I have to do because of societies structure (job market).

I guess you think the only ones that should truly live well are the rich, good human! I also love it how you took your argument from one end of the spectrum all the way to the other to prove your point. Have you never heard of a middle ground?

Last thing, the current system could change you know! It could stop using forms of legal less understandable slavery to keep the scales tipped in the favor of millionaires/billionaires. Oh wait, these are animals we're talking about. More bombs, let millions of people starve. :rolleyes:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Isn't the concept of democracy sort of like a mob mentality? You know, that whole majority rules thing? I guess I'm old fashioned that way. The way it works these days is a few people in a room hammer out a law that makes no sense and they pass it in the middle of the night.

Except you get a lot more for your money elsewhere. Conversely, you can get a whole helluva lot less too.
And just because some people know how to live off of the Earth, doesn't mean they're nasty smelling tree-hugging hippies.

People who live off of the grid smell like shit; A clean hippie is an oxymoron -- Remember, no one on this forum falls under that criteria.

If I had a choice I'd rather be here but have enough money to jump off the perpetual debt wheel (Not move into a mud-hut in south Africa). That said, I could be very happy with a home that utilizes geothermal, wind, and solar power. I would love a 2011 GMC 2500 Denali HD that can utilize bio-diesel. I could also be happy working less hours a week or doing a job that I really want to do, not that I have to do because of societies structure (job market).

I guess you think the only ones that should truly live well are the rich, good human! I also love it how you took your argument from one end of the spectrum all the way to the other to prove your point. Have you never heard of a middle ground?

Last thing, the current system could change you know! It could stop using forms of legal less understandable slavery to keep the scales tipped in the favor of millionaires/billionaires. Oh wait, these are animals we're talking about. More bombs, let millions of people starve. :rolleyes:

Since you brought up the middle class, it too has "freedom". I wasn't going from one end of the spectrum, I was merely stating that us (as Americans) have "freedom". Sure, we have our own fucked up Government, but who doesn't? Money makes the world go round, baby~ Where you live has nothing to do with it.

Since you brought up the middle class, it too has "freedom". I wasn't going from one end of the spectrum, I was merely stating that us (as Americans) have "freedom". Sure, we have our own fucked up Government, but who doesn't? Money makes the world go round, baby~ Where you live has nothing to do with it.

I also loved being 16

People who live off of the grid smell like shit; A clean hippie is an oxymoron -- Remember, no one on this forum falls under that criteria.

Now off the grid and off of the Earth are two different things. Don't misconstrue the two.

Now off the grid and off of the Earth are two different things. Don't misconstrue the two.

Off the grid is pretty much removing yourself from a "civilized" world. Who's to say you shower? I mean, you didn't Tweet about it.. it's can't be true. :D

I jest. I'm just poking fun at people, is all. I enjoy debating, as most people tend to be stubborn as quote age, or lack-there-of.

Since you brought up the middle class, it too has "freedom". I wasn't going from one end of the spectrum,

Ah the middle class. The class with the highest losses in the last 10-20 years...lol
Also, I'm sorry you don't get it but perpetual is perpetual no matter what way you describe it. I'm not saying work is bad, I'm saying being robbed of your earnings through over taxation, inflation, monopolies, big business over charging, theft, etc.

The rich and government being the number one culprits. I bet you think the "Free Markets" free, am I right?

Off the grid is pretty much removing yourself from a "civilized" world. Who's to say you shower?

You might be playing but saying that is just retarded. "Off grid" means this and this.

I bet the people that can afford these great ways to live smell like mad shit and piss....lol.
Stereo type ignorantly much!

Isn't the concept of democracy sort of like a mob mentality? You know, that whole majority rules thing? I guess I'm old fashioned that way.
That's exactly what it is. However, the United States IS NOT a democracy --it's a Republic. Hence it's in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Pledge of Allegiance. said:
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

In a Republic everyone has to agree on a law or it doesn't pass.

However, Democracy is most definitely mob rule. If you think about it, Gang Rape is a democracy, the majority voted for it didn't they?

The way it works these days is a few people in a room hammer out a law that makes no sense and they pass it in the middle of the night.

This is how it seems nowadays. Some corporation pays some politician to pass them a law, line their pockets and then give the politician a job once their term is over.
Pathetic.

You might be playing but saying that is just retarded. "Off grid" means this and this.

I bet the people that can afford these great ways to live smell like mad shit and piss....lol.
Stereo type ignorantly much!

Hey, you're the one typing from an "anonymous" account; No one cares how long you've been "hard".

Anyways, back on topic; Honestly, do you think that someone "off the grid" is only a person that provides their own electricity? If so, you're quite mistaken. "Off the grid" is considered as being completely self sustaining.

I like that you cited a Wiki link, though -- It shows how oblivious you really are.

There's another "mob mentality" ingrained in lobbyists believing stopping all piracy will somehow make everything better for them.

Viacom: Sometimes the mob can be right. You lost this round. Suck it up and adapt your business model or go bankrupt like every other failed company. That's how it works. If you can't stand a little democracy once in a while there's plenty of other less democratic countries in which you can do business.

They did, they all moved to China, treason I call it.

Hey, you're the one typing from an "anonymous" account; No one cares how long you've been "hard".

Anyways, back on topic; Honestly, do you think that someone "off the grid" is only a person that provides their own electricity? If so, you're quite mistaken. "Off the grid" is considered as being completely self sustaining.

I like that you cited a Wiki link, though -- It shows how oblivious you really are.

1. Not sure how having an anonymoususer account relates to our current conversation.
2. You might not care how long I been [H]ard but than again I never put it there for you.
3. Talking about "off grid" is not back on topic. The topic is about “Mob Mentality”...fyi.
4. I never said "ONLY", I said "electricity" is one of the main ones AND YES, that's correct
5. Wiki is pretty awesome to me. It has a lot of stuff to give perspective to the unknowing, you should use it a lot more.
6. "Oblivious", you're right! If it means I'm right and you're wrong. Let me go wiki it!

Yup! There's no need of "unnecessary polarization" here!
Just hand them your wallet, drop you pants and bend over!
Everything will be just fine! We promise!

:rolleyes:

Who do these dumbasses think they're kidding?

Back