• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VGA Silencer and Ramsinks worth it?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
I am getting a 9700Pro, and I am a fiend for overclocking video cards, so I at first thought I woudl get a VGA Silecner and OCZ Copper sinks to keep it cool and get a higher clock..but the more I think, how much more speed will I really get wit those. If I am only gunna get another 5-10mhz, seems like its hardly worth the money let alone vioding warrently and loosing all possable chances of RMA
 
The VGA silencer is worth it, but ramsinks are not. You would get a better core overclock with the Silencer, and the hot air will be expelled from your case. My case temps went down 4F with the silencer. Ramsinks on the other hand MAY give you 1-3mhz extra, but they are not worth it if you have to RMA the card later down the road, and are not worth the price. Also, be very careful while installing the VGA silencer if you get it. Do not overtighten or you WILL crush the core. It is also a good idea to wire the fan onto the power supply, not the card itself. The VGA Silencers fan draws more power than the stock fan. If the base does not make good contact with the core, you will need to either remove the shim (bad) or grind down the base, leaving a square to contact the gpu (good).
 
ramsinks are a waste of money considering they barely do anything, and that a pack of eight cost more than the VGA Silencer itself.
 
Yhpm about a certain radeon 9700 pro with the vga silencer, 8 OCZ copper ramsinks, a removable VMOD, and a core that does 420mhz ;)
 
I have the silencer on my 9700 NP, I went from 330 to 344 at the core. Not a huge difference, but I suppose every little bit helps :)

Just as a note, I removed the shim on mine to help it make better contact with the chip, but definitely be careful not to over tighten.
 
the VGA silencer is DEFINATLY worth your money. (Do we still have to continue saying this? LOL)
 
Well, its settled then, Ill gethte VGA Silencer and skip the ramsinks. As far are wiring it to my power supply, I dont know enough to safly do that, would a 2 to 3 pin or a 2 to 4 pin adapter work? I use them for the leds on the front of my case.
 
It's worth it considering its like 20 bucks or less, and that isn't a lot for what it does.
 
Viper87227 said:
As far are wiring it to my power supply, I dont know enough to safly do that, would a 2 to 3 pin or a 2 to 4 pin adapter work? I use them for the leds on the front of my case.
I just cut the wires on an old fan and wired on the Silencer fan, so red to yellow, black to black. (red to 12v, black to ground). I dont know of any adapters that would work, the connector that hooks to the card for power is a strange small one.
 
saturnine2 said:
I just cut the wires on an old fan and wired on the Silencer fan, so red to yellow, black to black. (red to 12v, black to ground). I dont know of any adapters that would work, the connector that hooks to the card for power is a strange small one.


Yeah, but I suck with electricle work, I woudl screw something up
 
I've searched but can't find any information on the "wire to PSU" mod. I'm sure I can figure out how to do it, but what exactly does it do? Like the vga silencer runs X volts in low, Y volts in high, and 12 volts bypassing the switch. Or does it run with 12v on high?

I guess what I want to know is, what are the benefits/why should I do this?
 
Sorry for the bad explanation, all you need is one of these. Splice the wires from the Silencer on to one of these, thats it.
P1010057.jpg


alexik01 said:
I guess what I want to know is, what are the benefits/why should I do this?
From what I have heard from many people, is that the VGA Silencers fan draws more power than the fan connector on Radeons can handle. Some have even complained that the extra power draw killed their cards.
 
I would definately say they are worth it.

I got the VGA Silencer for $10 on sale from SVC.com and also bought OCZ copper ramsinks from them too for only like $10 for 2 packs.

I have all this installed on a BBA 9600xt. I was able to OC to 540/705 perfectly stable. Anybody interested in it? It's just sitting in the plastic that my 6800 GT came in.
 
Thanks saturnine2. I actually have a 3-pin connector just below the agp slot on my mobo. Just a little tricky trying to plug it in. But now that I know, I'll plug it in there.
 
my vga silencer makes oc'ing a dream. check sig for clocks. and my ramskinks get up to 60 c(150F) under load. i recomend both.
 
alexik01 said:
Thanks saturnine2. I actually have a 3-pin connector just below the agp slot on my mobo. Just a little tricky trying to plug it in. But now that I know, I'll plug it in there.


I never even thought about that. Isnt the 3rd wire on 3 pin fans just for speed moitoring? Just plugging a 2 pin into a 3 pin will work?
 
The VGA silencer is worth it, but ramsinks are not. You would get a better core overclock with the Silencer, and the hot air will be expelled from your case. My case temps went down 4F with the silencer.
Mine dropped too. Also, my case temps used to stay within about 15 degrees (fareheit) of my CPU temps. As the CPU temp climbed, so did the case temp.
Now, the case temp barely rises at all.
 
Back
Top