• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VGA Cooler for HD4870

aznofazns

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
273
I'm looking for a decent cooler for my Visiontek HD4870 512mb... I saw this on Xoxide for $9.60 but I can't find whether or not it's compatible with the 4870. It's listed as compatible with up to Geforce 8800 and Radeon x1900. Does anyone know if it's compatible? If not, what other good HD4870 coolers are there for under $25? I might end up getting the Thermalright HR-03 if other sub-$25 coolers don't come close in performance.
 
Looking at the list of cards recommended on Xoxide I would say no that would not work. Not to mention, it looks rather gimped.

Thats just my 2c
 
Well I'm not exactly looking for a beastly cooler like the HR-03... as long is it's a significant improvement over the stock cooler and will keep my temps under 65C at all times. The reason the Aerocool interests me is because it's only 10 dollars. Oh well, if it won't work, it's not a big deal.
 
Forget the overpriced Thermalright and the gimped Aerocool and go with an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2. It's cheap, you can re-use the red backplate for the RAM and VRMs from the stock cooler and the cooling performance is nothing short of amazing. I'm running 4850 CF with these coolers, no fans installed and I can OC the cards from 625MHz core clock to 740MHz without breaking 65c load temps.

http://www.directron.com/acceleros1rev2.html?gsear=1
 
That cooler is great I had it on my 4870 and 4890 it worked perfect and was dead silent and very very easy to install...
 
I'm looking for a decent cooler for my Visiontek HD4870 512mb... I saw this on Xoxide for $9.60 but I can't find whether or not it's compatible with the 4870. It's listed as compatible with up to Geforce 8800 and Radeon x1900. Does anyone know if it's compatible? If not, what other good HD4870 coolers are there for under $25? I might end up getting the Thermalright HR-03 if other sub-$25 coolers don't come close in performance.

the thermalright link goes to a bunk page... but i just wanted to say that the GT version of the HR-03 fits the 4870... don't know if the original HR-03 does.
 
Well I'm not exactly looking for a beastly cooler like the HR-03... as long is it's a significant improvement over the stock cooler and will keep my temps under 65C at all times. The reason the Aerocool interests me is because it's only 10 dollars. Oh well, if it won't work, it's not a big deal.

The stock reference cooler is pretty good. At least as far as cooling goes. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll need a beastly heatsink like the HR-03 to make a significant improvement if you're not happy with stock performance.
 
this Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2.. slap a 120mm x 25mm enough said.
I bought the thermalright w/e it was for the gtx280 and my temps were worse on that thing load than with the stock cooler with properly applied thermal compound.
 
What about the Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo? I'm looking for a heatsink for my 4850, and that seems to be a nice heatsink for it.
 
how many slots does the twin turbo cover i am looking for a cooler for my 4870 but i am running a matx case and only have 2 pci one is blocked by the stock cooler. will the TT cover both? if it does will the rev 2 cooler with a fan be ok?
 
Will swapping out the stock XFX heatsink for the Twin Turbo void my warrantly?
 
Back
Top