VESA announces updates to adaptive sync certification process

Nice this alone should bring certified adaptive sync monitors close to or on par with G-Sync monitors:
I also love that they are calling out manufacturers for cheating on their previous representations of those values, as they have been known to Overclock, overheat, or fudge the start and end value of the G2G to get a faster time, and their cherry-picking of displays and using the best time from a battery of 100 displays even if the other 99 were significantly worse.

Reactions: Eymar
like this
Just buy a G-Sync and you don't have to worry about it.

I keep LCD's for many years, 6 years with current G-Sync LCD, and I still use a 17 year old dell LCD for telework. The extra cost of the G-sync isn't much over a 10 year+ lifespan.

There are monitors that support both G-Sync and Freesync premium without just being G-Sync 'compatible'.

I keep LCD's for many years, 6 years with current G-Sync LCD, and I still use a 17 year old dell LCD for telework. The extra cost of the G-sync isn't much over a 10 year+ lifespan.

There are monitors that support both G-Sync and Freesync premium without just being G-Sync 'compatible'.
Easier to find a FreeSync Premium one that is expressly listed as GSync compatible. But yeah, a good monitor will last a long ass time.

Yeah LCDs basically last forever. My VG248QE with the original GSYNC upgrade kit that I ordered the day it came out is still going strong. That's from 2014. I've actually only had one LCD die on me and it was the first LCD I ever purchased in 2006. I actually replaced the capacitors in it and it worked again.

NVIDIA does extensive testing on gsync monitors with all sorts of expensive equipment in their own labs. It sounds like VESA has setup something similar. Hopefully it doesn't increase the cost too much for monitors that go through it.

But it is also too late for me to care. I've moved on to OLED and there's no way I'm going back to LCDs. And I think things are shifting that way for the type of people that would pay attention to this.

Yeah LCDs basically last forever. My VG248QE with the original GSYNC upgrade kit that I ordered the day it came out is still going strong. That's from 2014. I've actually only had one LCD die on me and it was the first LCD I ever purchased in 2006. I actually replaced the capacitors in it and it worked again.

NVIDIA does extensive testing on gsync monitors with all sorts of expensive equipment in their own labs. It sounds like VESA has setup something similar. Hopefully it doesn't increase the cost too much for monitors that go through it.

But it is also too late for me to care. I've moved on to OLED and there's no way I'm going back to LCDs. And I think things are shifting that way for the type of people that would pay attention to this.
Funny you say that as earlier today I was drooling over this little feller…..
https://www.engadget.com/alienware-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-ultrawide-review-140012704.html

Back