very weird problem with X38-DQ6

Slozz

Weaksauce
ok here is my story, I bought theGigabyte X36-DQ6 DDR2 version, after 3 days of use my old seagate harddisk suddenly started to develop bad sectors and other kinds of errors, and eventually wouldn't start windows, every attempt to format the drive ended up freezing the system.
I thought it was the hd's fault, so I quickly grabbed a new Western Digital 250G, but the problem persisted, what I am having now is that I can turn on the computer, can see the drive in BIOS, can partition it, but formatting still freezes, and windows xp installation freezes right before the screen where you can format/delete/partition the drive.
so I called a technician to come to check and he couldn't tell a clue but suspected the motherboard, so tomorrow I have to bring my pc to his workplace where he will do a throughout inspection.
can anyone suggest any hint or solution from my description?? I am really getting desperate, I spent a leg on this board. please help!

What board did you have before and what heatsink are you using now ? I am suspecting you are having heat related issues due to the stock Intel heatsink/fan not being properly installed. This is a very common error if you have not messed with one before. If you do have experience with these "push pin" types of heatsinks, - nevermind. In the bios what is the reported cpu temp ?

What board did you have before and what heatsink are you using now ? I am suspecting you are having heat related issues due to the stock Intel heatsink/fan not being properly installed. This is a very common error if you have not messed with one before. If you do have experience with these "push pin" types of heatsinks, - nevermind. In the bios what is the reported cpu temp ?

well it seems to be the floppy check in BIOS that messes things up, I brought my board to Gigabyte service centre today and then did a reset and disabled the floppy check then everything went back to normal.
Thank you!

yes thought could easily do it, windows freaks out if the u have a floppy drive enabled but do not have on physically plugged in. When i got my giga-x38 first thing i did was disable the floppy drive in the cmos.

Live and learn :)

Glad its working out for you. I have had 0 problems out of mine so far.

Back