Verizon's “Unlimited” PopData Scheme Is All Kinds Of BS

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Hooray! Verizon has brought back unlimited data! Oh wait, they expect you to pay $2 for 30 minutes or $3 for an hour of it.

...Verizon's unlimited PopData isn't a conventional data plan with unlimited use. No, it's a pass that you can buy for a limited amount of time with unlimited data. Want to stream video or download a big file without worrying about going over your cap? Well no problem, Verizon customer - just pay Big Red two bucks through the carrier app, and you can binge worry-free for all of thirty minutes. If you have to something to take care of that's a little bigger, an hour of unlimited access can be yours for the low, low price of $3. It's basically taking a paid airport Wi-Fi model and applying it to your data plan. On your Verizon phone. That you already pay for.

should be easier for them to monitor time than data. so less likely to fuck you over.

That's it, I am going over to T-Mobile and getting a $20 sim card starter kit to have everybody on our current Verizon plan test out coverage.

Verizon is getting more and more stupid with their milking customers and if T-Mobile has good coverage then I am done with Verizon.

This will likely go great for them. Just looking at the gaming industry and how prevalent and successful micro transactions have become (in $60 fucking games even) says to me people bitch and moan and then just accept it.

Reactions: djoye
like this
Step One: Give up your "smart" phone. Step Two: Buy a cheap Garmin GPS for $40 bucks. Step Three: Buy a cheap cell phone that lets you text and lets you play some music. Step Four: Free yourselves from the shackles of forced ADD.

Step One: Give up your "smart" phone. Step Two: Buy a cheap Garmin GPS for $40 bucks. Step Three: Buy a cheap cell phone that lets you text and lets you play some music. Step Four: Free yourselves from the shackles of forced ADD.

Thing is, you don't even have to have a cell plan to use a cell as a GPS.

Step 1. Activate phone so you can use it with whatever. Easy to do with an old phone you have with a current plan. Put the active sim in thew phone to swap it over/activate after wiping it so you can use it. Then swap the sim back to the other phone. You don't have to use your account at all.
Step 2. Over Wifi download a free GPS app that has offline maps (I used SCOUT the last time I did this).
Step 3. Never need to buy a GPS or pay for map updates again.

That's it, I am going over to T-Mobile and getting a $20 sim card starter kit to have everybody on our current Verizon plan test out coverage.

Verizon is getting more and more stupid with their milking customers and if T-Mobile has good coverage then I am done with Verizon.

i switched awhile ago, been great honestly. Coverage isn't like i remember them being, pretty much perfect. i get free shit every Tuesday. And their pricing is very respectable. Quite happy with it, surprisingly.

Step 1. Activate phone so you can use it with whatever. Easy to do with an old phone you have with a current plan. Put the active sim in thew phone to swap it over/activate after wiping it so you can use it. Then swap the sim back to the other phone. You don't have to use your account at all.
Step 2. Over Wifi download a free GPS app that has offline maps (I used SCOUT the last time I did this).

Or just predownload the areas you care about, not that huge especially on wifi.

Agreed, but I'm wary of T-Mobile now. T-Mobile does NOT have good coverage for my brother... who travels every other week to cities all over the west coast for work. His company switched from Verizon to save money and literally everyone he works with hates it. I loathe trying to call him as well, as about 25-50% of the time, the connection drops repeatedly. I was planning on switching from AT&T, but with service that bad I'll stay put for now. Hopefully you have better luck.

This is some sort of bs on a level I haven't seen in a long time. If it was say 3$ a day I could see it. 3$ an hour is just bull

Did not know this :) That's a win, thanks for the info.

So how can they claim Quality of Service concerns or too much data being consumed with a plan like this?
It essentially proves that these companies have all the bandwidth needed to service their customers but like to cry Foul when we actually use it or bitch and moan about network maintenance costs when the FCC demands expansion into new areas.

Total bs

This is the stupidest thing I've heard all week long, almost as bad as Nintendo only giving 4 nes classic consoles per store. Yeah. Nope.

I was in line at 330am at the local Circuit City (rip) when I bought the Wii rofl.

But yeah back on topic, the Android Police editor was letting loose on Twitter about this lmao.

Agreed, but I'm wary of T-Mobile now. T-Mobile does NOT have good coverage for my brother... who travels every other week to cities all over the west coast for work. His company switched from Verizon to save money and literally everyone he works with hates it. I loathe trying to call him as well, as about 25-50% of the time, the connection drops repeatedly. I was planning on switching from AT&T, but with service that bad I'll stay put for now. Hopefully you have better luck.

and that has been my experience with people I know. Sure you might save money but you get shit service that you can't use. Thought maybe it was just my area but guess not. Although I guess that is one way to make sure that you don't go over on data. Get a phone that only works 10% of the time.

Even 3$ a day that's around 90$ a month. That's insane.

then don't pay extra for unlimited data every day. Just use your normal plan's data the rest if the time.

Yet more evidence that there's no pressing hardware/capacity concern. Just "more steaks for shareholders while we feed our customers sawdust."

T-Mobile is not quite at Verizon-level coverage, but they are about 90% there and getting better.

Yea, data caps don't stifle innovation *gag*

I knew this shit would happen when they introduced caps, start to introduce services that cost a lot compared to competition except they don't count against your cap.

About the only thing I like is TMO's unrestricted data for music/video apps.

Brought to you by the same sickos who brought you $0.25 outgoing AND incoming SMS messages.

The only area I have issues with T-mobile is a building where all services have issues. Honestly I do not have an issue with T-mobile what so ever.

Back