• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Verizon's Most Wanted Man

Brak710

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 27, 2008
Messages
1,424
...is me. :p

You know how everyone says there is no caps or limits to Verizon FiOS? Well, there still really isn't, but I've managed to piss them off pretty good. I remember hearing people bragging about 100s of gigabytes, so my goal was trying to get to 100TB eventually when the speeds were increased enough to make it feasible.

I was told I "exceed the average FiOS usage by 30,000%", and I will wear that as a badge of honor. They also said I was degrading performance in the area, so I would assume their highly overselling they're peering points which would explain some of the recent YouTube being unusable on FiOS. I killed off the high bandwidth users and they let me on my way.

In case anyone wants to know what it takes, this graph of what happened every month should have almost all the information you need:

gyB8Sya.png


An era ended when I stopped two VMs and nagios chirped that Tor Relay 1 and Tor Relay 2 were unreachable. They lasted a good 4 months. :(

Next goal in life, see how long Google Fiber lets me saturate a 1Gb/s line, I have the gear waiting.
 
Last edited:
So, you think it's cool to saturate the line and screw other people out of their service :rolleyes:

It's one thing to stick it to Verizon if that's what you want to do but it's obvious you were affecting others too.

What a big man you are. Not even using it for anything truly useful either.

How about you grow up?
 
So, you think it's cool to saturate the line and screw other people out of their service :rolleyes:

It's one thing to stick it to Verizon if that's what you want to do but it's obvious you were affecting others too.

What a big man you are. Not even using it for anything truly useful either.

How about you grow up?

:rolleyes:

Considering I am 4 of the 16 verizon fios subs on our PON card, I'm sure the neighbors won't hate me - they are me. This is an automated top-talker crack down, check out our thread over at dslreports. Apparently my usage isn't even the highest out of people who got called today.

And no, I'm not screwing anyone out of their service. Everyone is getting full speed during prime time, none of my 4 connections slow down at all, they can all max out at 100% using iPerf to my employers datacenter. This how B/G/XPON works, you can't actually affect your neighbors since it's basically TDMA over fiber.

This, though, is a clue that Verizon is having serious peering issues, as YouTube is actually unusable on FiOS during prime time hours.
 
Isn't that true for all isp's in the United States?
I can't remember the last time I couldn't play a Youtube video, at home, during prime time. I have simple Comcast 25/5 internet.

Apple Trailers is another story. In fact I usually jump to Youtube to play trailers that Apple Trailers can't play for whatever reason.
 
Haha consider me impressed. I think people like you are either case and point why ISP's should have caps, or why everyone should see they are being ripped off. Of course it's a little absurd pushing that much data, but then again the "Caps" scheme is so sleazy I really can't speak negatively towards anyone pushing things to the limit.


As far as screwing others, believe me if it was some DSL/Cable/Wireless user I could agree with that point made. But unlike those other providers the backend for each BPON/GPON node near the neighborhood is so much bandwidth with so very few users compared to how much both Cable/DSL providers oversell, that it wouldn't be relative. Basically Fios is set up to get 100% what you pay for 24/7 give or take.
 
so what you're saying is your porn collection is now almost as big as TheBuzzer's?

 
Isn't that true for all isp's in the United States?

I haven't had this problem since I deployed IPv6 on our internal network ��

YouTube is a native v6 site and videos stream better than ever, even during peak hours.

Need to upgrade some routing engines before I can deploy to customers though.
 
Isn't that true for all isp's in the United States?

I can't remember ever having an issue with a youtube video at any time of day on Comcast. It's sad and even a bit disturbing that some people think that sort of thing is acceptable, and even normal. It's not.
 
I can't remember ever having an issue with a youtube video at any time of day on Comcast. It's sad and even a bit disturbing that some people think that sort of thing is acceptable, and even normal. It's not.

As you and the person you quoted pointed out, you're both on Comcast. This is only for us on FiOS. Its terrible. 360p video buffering every 5 seconds. Vimeo doesnt have this problem. I'm to understand that this is actually a YouTube/Google issue and not a Verizon one? But I could be out of date on the subject.
 
As you and the person you quoted pointed out, you're both on Comcast. This is only for us on FiOS. Its terrible. 360p video buffering every 5 seconds. Vimeo doesnt have this problem. I'm to understand that this is actually a YouTube/Google issue and not a Verizon one? But I could be out of date on the subject.

The issue is likely to do with Google's caching peers. Fingers were pointed at the cache(s) located on XO Comm's network several weeks ago for this very problem. "Fix" tutorials went out across the web that firewalled your network from communicating with these caches and some people claimed a temporary improvement in the steam performance of Youtube. I don't know what the status of this is currently, but I haven't had issues lately on my network lately (IPv4 or IPv6)

The reason it seems to affect different ISPs differently is because Google peer caches will depend heavily on ISP "location". The other possibility is ISP bandwidth shaping, allowing only a certain max bandwidth allocation for a specific service. I cannot confirm whether any ISPs do this.
 
U r a dick... I love it!

Bandwidth is just electricity. I dont get the pricing per megabyte shit these people do.

Anyways google fiber is going to absolutely fuckin rape other ISPs once and if it goes widespread.

It is going to make people like comcast, verizon, charter all shit their pants and have to offer equivalent services.
 
U r a dick... I love it!

Bandwidth is just electricity. I dont get the pricing per megabyte shit these people do.

Anyways google fiber is going to absolutely fuckin rape other ISPs once and if it goes widespread.

It is going to make people like comcast, verizon, charter all shit their pants and have to offer equivalent services.

How can bandwidth be electricity, and then you don't get pricing per megabyte. Electricity is priced based on usage. Pricing per megabyte is pricing based on usage.

It's not like electricity at all, stop using this horrible comparison, and then complaining about usage based billing.
 
So, you think it's cool to saturate the line and screw other people out of their service :rolleyes:

It's one thing to stick it to Verizon if that's what you want to do but it's obvious you were affecting others too.

What a big man you are. Not even using it for anything truly useful either.

How about you grow up?

Cry us all a huge river why don't you. Friggin child you are.
 
How can bandwidth be electricity, and then you don't get pricing per megabyte. Electricity is priced based on usage. Pricing per megabyte is pricing based on usage.

I was just having fun man ... throttle down with the holier than thou knowest all thine in the land crap.

Seriously explain to me though how it is not all just electrons and photons flowing from point A to B and it all gets powered by one thing ....... geee..... Electricity?

What are modern day networks powered by Happy Emotions? Good lord.
 
Last edited:
How can bandwidth be electricity, and then you don't get pricing per megabyte. Electricity is priced based on usage. Pricing per megabyte is pricing based on usage.

It's not like electricity at all, stop using this horrible comparison, and then complaining about usage based billing.



And in both instance they are raping the end user except people depend on electricity a little more than the Internet in their daily lives. Electricity is constantly flowing through every building that has access to it, you get charged when you tap into the system. That's where the profit margin comes from. Whether or not anyone is using it that factors into each individuals base line electricity bill.

When you set up a link between Port A to Port B, that link will have a dedicated throughput, no more and no less unless physically forced. A 1GbE link doesn't change its clock rate because you're not using the link to the max potential. It's sending a constant stream of electricity and the device is responsible for any fluctuations in electricity output from higher streams of data.

The comparison might have been weak since it wasn't intended to be nothing more than a zinger, but we can say Energy companies are some of the worlds most profitable and renown for gouging consumers the same way ISP's are with so-called "metering", which is when you actually use the line you're tapped into and simply paying to have turned on. There (ISP) backhaul link doesn't cost them anything if it was running at 10Gbps and only being utilized 5Gbps unless they are buying their bandwidth wholesale from someone else to send the local traffic to. Which even then that is pennies on the gig.
 
I am the guy who regretfully talked to the ars tech reporter guy.... I thought it was going to be an article about VZ going after heavy bandwidth users not just about me... I mostly post in the storage and display threads but frequent [H]ard|Forum and dslreports very often.

/facepalm.

Congestion in the neighborhood is absolute BS. I really really do not understand why they even bothered with this. I work in the industry of servers/colo/datacenters and have colo/servers all over the place.

Bandwidth these days is dirt cheap with most providers going down to $1/$2 per megabit on large commits. You can even get peering at public peering locations for as low as $.05/megabit. My 95th percentile usage was around 100 mbit. From my estimation of VZ's cost they were still making a profit off me even with my usage but they are going after me and others like me. The expensive part is usually the last mile but with GPON there is no way there would be congestion at my serving hub so I know its not because its causing slow down for others. Also in VZ's case (because they are tier1 with settlement free peering with all other tier1) the only cost is really in the upgrades to their network so probably more in line with what peering would cost rather than strait transit.

I was surprised more than anything, I mean why bother? I mean even if we upgrade to business if that's an acceptable solution its not like its gonna change the amount of usage on their network and why possibly risk any bad PR?

Also they did not call for 'running servers' even though that is the reason they used for me. One of the other guys weren't running listening servers off their connection.

If it just means I am going back to a higher priced business service (which is the same connection, with limited customer support hours) then that is just what I will do. No biggy. Just really curious why they even bothered doing this in the first place. The only thing I could think of is maybe this is a trial run (with the heaviest users in the nation first) and they are gonna start targeting everyone who is doing >1TB/month. Just a guess..
 
One of the few positives about Comcast is their business plans only cost about $40 more than residential. No caps and no blocked ports.
Verizon has always charged more for their business accounts. I tried getting their business DSL a number of years ago (back before they sold it all to Frontier) and they wanted double what I was paying for residential.
 
One of the few positives about Comcast is their business plans only cost about $40 more than residential. No caps and no blocked ports.
Verizon has always charged more for their business accounts. I tried getting their business DSL a number of years ago (back before they sold it all to Frontier) and they wanted double what I was paying for residential.

$40 more? 50/10 on residential is $75 and on the business side it's $190, it's even a bigger difference on the 100 meg plans.
 
$40 more? 50/10 on residential is $75 and on the business side it's $190, it's even a bigger difference on the 100 meg plans.

The difference gets higher as you move up of course. I'm comparing their residential 25 down @64.95 vs 27 down @ $109.00. Should have said that first.
 
Yeah, even the 100/20 Comcast plans wouldn't cover this type of usage though, not enough upload, that's why I was using the higher plans. My only choices are Comcast or CenturyLink, wish we had Verizon too, as it would bring down the prices, especially seeing the FIOS pricing.
 
So, you think it's cool to saturate the line and screw other people out of their service :rolleyes:

It's one thing to stick it to Verizon if that's what you want to do but it's obvious you were affecting others too.

What a big man you are. Not even using it for anything truly useful either.

How about you grow up?

Tor relays are not useful?

must be nice to live in such a clear cut world
 
One of the few positives about Comcast is their business plans only cost about $40 more than residential. No caps and no blocked ports.
Verizon has always charged more for their business accounts. I tried getting their business DSL a number of years ago (back before they sold it all to Frontier) and they wanted double what I was paying for residential.

Time Warner is the same. Residential 30/5 is $60, Business class 30/5 is $300, plus $30 per static IP.
 
Back
Top