Verizon Threatens To Sue FCC Over Title II

HardOCP News

[H] News
That sure didn't take long. :D

“Verizon supports the open Internet, and we continue to believe that the light-touch regulatory approach in place for the past two decades has been central to the Internet’s success. Reclassification under Title II, which for the first time would apply 1930s-era utility regulation to the Internet, would be a radical reversal of course that would in and of itself threaten great harm to an open Internet, competition and innovation. That course will likely also face strong legal challenges and would likely not stand up in court. Moreover, this approach would be gratuitous. As all major broadband providers and their trade groups have conceded, the FCC already has sufficient authority under Section 706 to adopt rules that address any practices that threaten harm to consumers or competition, including authority to prohibit ‘paid prioritization.’ For effective, enforceable, legally sustainable net neutrality rules, the Commission should look to Section 706.”

Look at them, telling the FCC what to do. They really have no clue how this works, do they?

They already sued once and won.....

The U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington decided in favor of Verizon yesterday, striking down the FCC’s so-called net-neutrality rules. The regulations would have required Internet service providers to treat all online traffic equally, rather than giving preference to companies willing to pay extra fees for faster service.

So I'm quite sure they have no fear of going head to head again, and they have billions of $$$ to pump into the pockets of key officials to ensure they get what they want.

If Wheeler actually does something in the public's best interest, I'll be looking for flying pigs and a weather report from hell.

I'm all for whatever legislation Verizon is willing to sue to block...

Dear Verizion - FU

Oh and if you sue, I switch to another cellular carrier.

Truth is, the President may have released a video supporting Title II classification, but what he thinks doesn't really matter in this case.

Once he is done appointing the chairman, he has nothing more than the bully pulpit to use to sway the FCC. it operates rather independently at that point.

and we all know how well Obama's bully pulpit has been working lately.

I remain hopeful though!

We REALLY NEED a Title II classification, I just doubt that Tom Wheeler, the Dingo, is going to do it.

( or is he not a dingo... I forget)

Zarathustra[H];1041221093 said:
Agreed. If lawsuit threats start popping up from these trusts, that means someone has hit a nerve, and is moving in the right direction. :D

If we can start using threats of lawsuits to question the manhood of our politicians, maybe we'll get somewhere...

There's a little secret the government, especially the White House, won't tell you about classifying the Internet as a Common Carrier Utility. It makes it easier for them to tap your communications. This way, they are able to tap directly into your communications without a warrant. Currently, they can only gather meta data, or the type of communication you do and the targets, without a warrant. With the Internet as a Common Carrier Utility, they'll be able to tap directly into the data transferring back and forth.

Where previously, they could tell where you were sending your emails and what web site you are visiting, with this change, they can actually read your emails and look at what you are reading. They already have the tools they need to decrypt anything with less than 1024-bit encryption in real time.

Government: Don't trust them. Don't believe them. They lie.

Look at them, telling the FCC what to do. They really have no clue how this works, do they?

ahahaha! Indeed! :) Verizon sucks anyway, and no one likes them... This isn't helping them any. If the FCC wants to reclassify, they will do it, and there is nothing that the ISPs can do about it. I, for one, am glad they may get reclassified. I think Obama made the right call today by issuing his statement on reclassifying to Title ll. I support that move, and think it will be the best thing for us all. We need to reclassify, and f*** Verizon.

There's a little secret the government, especially the White House, won't tell you about classifying the Internet as a Common Carrier Utility. It makes it easier for them to tap your communications. This way, they are able to tap directly into your communications without a warrant. Currently, they can only gather meta data, or the type of communication you do and the targets, without a warrant. With the Internet as a Common Carrier Utility, they'll be able to tap directly into the data transferring back and forth.

Where previously, they could tell where you were sending your emails and what web site you are visiting, with this change, they can actually read your emails and look at what you are reading. They already have the tools they need to decrypt anything with less than 1024-bit encryption in real time.

That's amazing to know. What evidence do you have to support such an incredible statement?

“Verizon supports the open Internet,"

They support it, but they don't act like they do.

Sorry, when they screw up so much that the people want change - they aren't doing it in the best interest of their customers. They lose. When there is a near monopoly in many areas of the country and the alternatives are shit, then something needs done.

I don't like it when people say "You don't HAVE to go with them. You don't like them, cancel". You're right. I have a choice. Go with a big company or go without Internet. In today's age, going without Internet is not easy. I could go without a lot of corporate things. I could grow my own food, create my own electricity, ride a bike, etc... But, we're pretty reliant on a lot of technology and stuff. Internet is almost required at home in my line of work. (it is required when on call).

Go for it, Verizon. Sue. Piss off your customer base some more.

Um.... Source? Please don't link to something like tinfoilhats.com or something.

I don't trust the government at all, but this is just too much FUD.

The ISP's (Who are against any neutral net thingy) don't want to support this. The US Court of Appeals has already stated that the ISP's can be reclassified as Common Carriers, the gubmint should do this.

the problem with Net Neutrality isn't the fundamental idea.... its the hidden bullshit they want to sneak into the bill. Be very wary when the government steps in to regulate something to protect "you" from the company you are purchasing from.

the problem with Net Neutrality isn't the fundamental idea.... its the hidden bullshit they want to sneak into the bill. Be very wary when the government steps in to regulate something to protect "you" from the company you are purchasing from.

Because there isn't as much money in it as there is on a non-open internet. You want non-throttled access to Netflix? You pay, and they pay more than what they are now.

How about instead the taxpayers can sue Verizon for all the subsidies they received to roll out infrastructure that they never completed... Fuck Verizon....

Because there isn't as much money in it as there is on a non-open internet. You want non-throttled access to Netflix? You pay, and they pay more than what they are now.

That is horseshit. The Verizon's, the Comcast's, The Centurylink's already own a lot of the backbone on the internets. They are creating new pipes out of this air for teh Netflix's...

Um.... Source? Please don't link to something like tinfoilhats.com or something.

I don't trust the government at all, but this is just too much FUD.

The logic behind it is this: as a title 706 utility, it is a private thoroughfare, like a driveway, and is on private property. As a title II Common Carrier Utility, it becomes a public thoroughfare even if it is on private property, and is then subject to all public inspection.

Exactly!

Obama screwed up the health care reform by using it as a method of seizing ironfisted power that actually changed very little for the people, yet cost us all tons of extra money through new taxes and rate increases.

Obama screwed up the economic stimulus package by giving out loans to energy companies that could never become profitable. It changed very little for the people, but ran up a huge debt bill, and crippled the one chance we had to bring the economy back.

Obama screwed up immigration reform by not enforcing the borders and letting in a ton of criminal illegal immigrants, costing us a ton in care for these people, and increasing the chances of voter fraud substantially, also increasing his power through that voter fraud.

Obama has intentionally screwed things up for his own interests. He's lied and lied and lied, and gained power in the process while dupes have just handed more and more power to him. "Hope and Change" was lie from the start. He's a Chicago politician, through and through, corrupt to the core.

This is just his latest attempt for more power. He'll find a way to use it to stall his exit from power in two years. He hasn't given up on his kingdom yet.

That is horseshit. The Verizon's, the Comcast's, The Centurylink's already own a lot of the backbone on the internets. They are creating new pipes out of this air for teh Netflix's...

The internet is growing and will continue to grow. They need to upgrade their shit to provide service for their customers. They sign contracts with their customers to deliver a certain level of service. They get paid by the end users for access to the network (which is mostly download) and to others for access to the network (for upload - Netflix, web hosters, etc..). No way should they need to pay more to have priority over someone else.

If service sucks, there is little competition to go elsewhere. So, you're stuck. So, it's not much of a free market for end users. In other industries, if you're not happy and you go elsewhere (and enough people follow suit) you do something to fix it and get your customers back (upgrade infrastructure, increase speeds, etc..).

And corporations, they always tell the truth, and aren't just in it for their own interests?

Government lies because we always elect the loudest liars.. That's our fault. Once we fully hand everything over to the corporations we'll no longer even have the little bit of power voting gives us in the process.

You have corporations on one hand spending billions to convince us they're on our side and that politicians are liars (then convincing us to vote for the ones that lie the most), then spending more billions on lobbyists on the other end to pay the politicians to lie to us.

Exactly!

Obama screwed up the health care reform by using it as a method of seizing ironfisted power that actually changed very little for the people, yet cost us all tons of extra money through new taxes and rate increases.

Obama screwed up the economic stimulus package by giving out loans to energy companies that could never become profitable. It changed very little for the people, but ran up a huge debt bill, and crippled the one chance we had to bring the economy back.

Obama screwed up immigration reform by not enforcing the borders and letting in a ton of criminal illegal immigrants, costing us a ton in care for these people, and increasing the chances of voter fraud substantially, also increasing his power through that voter fraud.

Obama has intentionally screwed things up for his own interests. He's lied and lied and lied, and gained power in the process while dupes have just handed more and more power to him. "Hope and Change" was lie from the start. He's a Chicago politician, through and through, corrupt to the core.

This is just his latest attempt for more power. He'll find a way to use it to stall his exit from power in two years. He hasn't given up on his kingdom yet.

lol, and in reality everything is the opposite. And your hand is your foot, right?

Let's see.. The deficit has fallen drastically since Obama took office, the economy has been booming, more jobs created then during any other administration in the modern era, and he's deported more illegal immigrants than any Republican administration has.

Fox News has really made this country the country of stupid people that live in a parallel reality.

Let's just look at basic incentives, here. He's already the president; he wants to keep people happy so he can do what he want, so he wouldn't want to purposefully fuck things up.

Those not in power want to be in power; if the people currently in power do a good job, they won't switch teams. Thus, they do their damndest to fuck things up, or at least give the appearance they're fucked up. And then they get rewarded for throwing temper tantrums for 6 years.

I laugh at all the GOPers and TPers who think that the party that overwhelmingly voted for each re-authorization of the PATRIOT Act is actually for protecting liberty. (Meanwhile, a significant number of Dems voted against re-auth. Now, that likely was symbolic as they knew it would pass. But still.)

They only won because ISP's weren't classified as common carriers yet, thus the FCC had no authority to implement those rules.
Precisely. Reclassification is the foundation for all other protection of the internet.

lol, and in reality everything is the opposite. And your hand is your foot, right?

Let's see.. The deficit has fallen drastically since Obama took office, the economy has been booming, more jobs created then during any other administration in the modern era, and he's deported more illegal immigrants than any Republican administration has.

Fox News has really made this country the country of stupid people that live in a parallel reality.

HA!! That's a good one! Let's see, at least half of the deficit in 2009 was Obama's. Sure, TARP was partly Bush, but it was originally intended to be repaid by the banks that needed rescuing, which Obama changed. So, of the 1.4 trillion deficit in 2009, along with the 1.3 trillion in 201, and the 1.3 trillion in 2011, and the 1.0 trillion in 2012, each of which were higher than all of Bush's deficit through his first 7 years! If it weren't for Clinton's lowering of restrictions for low income people to get mortgages, which they couldn't afford, 2009 would have been just as good for a deficit. The whole mortgage problem in 2008 was entirely rooted in the Democrat's push to get minorities into owning homes, which they could not afford.

As for the job creation, you better check your numbers again. Part of that fake out was Obama changing the way job creation was reported. Sure, jobs were created year after year, but they never subtracted the jobs lost each month in those reports. If you actually factor that in, jobs had been lost each and every month until 2014. In addition, most of the jobs "created" were low wage, near minimum wage unskilled jobs. The job market is actually worse now than it was in 2009. I know it because in 2009 I was able to find a job that was a promotion and raise for me, which is near impossible now.

He also changed the way the unemployment rate is reported. In the previous three decades, the rate of unemployed included people who had been out of work and looking for work for one year or less. Obama changed the way it was reported to those who were out of work and looking for work for three months or less. In addition, the previous unemployment numbers included people who were working part time who had previously worked full time. Obama's numbers now call those people employed. The average family income during Obama's rule has FALLEN by almost $2000 per year, or about 4%.

Oh, and he also changed the way inflation is reported to exclude reports on electricity, gasoline, food, and automobiles, all of which have risen substantially more than the reports by the government have stated. If those numbers were reported correctly, we'd be seeing an inflation rate in excess of 6% per year, higher than any time since Carter! With adjusted dollars to the PROPER rate of inflation, the average pay per family has fallen over 10% during his reign.

Then also consider that the number of illegal immigrants currently staying in this country is more than ten times that of 2008, and how in the hell can you say he's been protecting the borders?

The truth is you've been listening to the mass media too much. They're lying little patsies for the left, trying to suck up to their ruling class. If we had things the Democrats' way, we'd be back in a class system like the royals and serfs of the middle ages, with just a change in the name calling it communism.

Who do you think is going to pay for all that government oversight and regulation? The government is just going to foot the bill... oh wait we pay for the government and we all know how insanely efficient they run...
As soon as you give control over anything to the government, they hire 10,000 people to start figuring out how to get another tax dollar out of you and make it harder for you to get what you want.

Who do you think is going to pay for all that government oversight and regulation? The government is just going to foot the bill... oh wait we pay for the government and we all know how insanely efficient they run...
As soon as you give control over anything to the government, they hire 10,000 people to start figuring out how to get another tax dollar out of you and make it harder for you to get what you want.
Title I/II regulations have been in place for our telephone and other utility networks since 1934. Had they not been protected, they would have suffered the same fate as commercial radio, cable TV and every other unregulated communications medium in our country. There is no third alternative.

As opposed to Comcast or Verizon who typically operate with little or no competition and charge as much as they can get. I've seen packages that sell for $50.00 in one place and $25 some place else. What's the difference? Competition. Most places don't have it and the incumbents are doing their best to buy up all of their competition.

Let's just look at basic incentives, here. He's already the president; he wants to keep people happy so he can do what he want, so he wouldn't want to purposefully fuck things up.

Those not in power want to be in power; if the people currently in power do a good job, they won't switch teams. Thus, they do their damndest to fuck things up, or at least give the appearance they're fucked up. And then they get rewarded for throwing temper tantrums for 6 years.

I laugh at all the GOPers and TPers who think that the party that overwhelmingly voted for each re-authorization of the PATRIOT Act is actually for protecting liberty. (Meanwhile, a significant number of Dems voted against re-auth. Now, that likely was symbolic as they knew it would pass. But still.)

Looks like someone has been reading too much from democraticunderground.com

Back