Verizon Sends Angry Letters to 10TB FiOS Users

That's not a reasonable way of looking at it. If every single one of their customers sat farting around their basement running 77TB of bandwidth a month, would the service be sustainable for the entire user base?

Its perfectly reasonable, if every customer starts using that then Verizon will have to stop making up utter bull shit and put a real cap on it like they really should have done.

What some people should do is test, IE read the TOS and check for what IS legal. Then setup a situation where they just follow exact legal guidelines and download 10s of TBs of data. You watch I bet you any money Verizon will be sending them a letter.

I doubt the "average consumer" even comes close to using that much or even 1TB.
There are some things that will never change in the same way that the average consumer doesn't need anything more than a 64GB SSD with 2GB (absolute max 4GB) RAM and a dual core CPU. Word processing, internet surfing, Facebook, e-mail -- it's not like in 250 years this is going to require everybody to have 1TB of RAM, a 512-core 12 THz processor, a 10GB dedicated NVIDIA GPU just to be able to pull of basic things.

Anyone who is using 77TB of monthly bandwidth IMO is questionable. At a certain point it becomes humanly impossible to really consume that much information/entertainment/whatever it is.

Its perfectly reasonable, if every customer starts using that then Verizon will have to stop making up utter bull shit and put a real cap on it like they really should have done.

What some people should do is test, IE read the TOS and check for what IS legal. Then setup a situation where they just follow exact legal guidelines and download 10s of TBs of data. You watch I bet you any money Verizon will be sending them a letter.

What's making up utter bullshit? The fact that there's no set hard cap and they expect users to fall within a reasonable bracket of normal residential usage? LOL

He bought the unlimited plan for a reason. If it says unlimited it should be unlimited. Otherwise don't say that.

If it's called unlimited, there shouldn't be limits. Bandwidth x time in a month is the limit. Otherwise just make a limit, you cockwads.

Wow... I think Verizonshouldn't complain when they offered "unlimited data" but at the same time... holy cow, 77 tb. I can see where Verizon's coming from because, 77th is excessive, as they call it.

unlimited doesn't mean anything but unlimited. If you have a limit then clearly state it. PERIOD.
This is a marketing ploy and the way I see it they should be held accountable for what they claim.

Don't want people using it like this, Don't sell an unlimited contract. Selling unlimited then saying oh well there is a limit is bait and switch and frankly Verizon and any other ISP should be sued the second they try to enforce any limit.

Any of you defending the ISP on this frankly should be ashamed of yourselves. You are basically saying you have zero problems with flagrant False advertisement of services with bait and switch practices.

I keep seeing the word "unlimited" used here...can anyone point to where Verizon states its unlimited?

I'm genuinely curious,as Ive never seen it advertised that way, so I'm just wondering if it is in fact advertised as such.

From Verizon's TOS:

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

What the 77 TB per month user says he does, in his own words: " I do some VPN stuff for people and Web/FTP/SFTP servers. A lot of friends and family stream stuff off me from my huge media collection. And I also do some P2P and Usenet stuff."

If you wish to argue that he has not violated the TOS, please proceed.

Yeah, sure, lets have thousands or millions of users hog up insane amounts of bandwidth by streaming 200MB/s out of their homes 24/7. Guess what happens? Instead of Verizon letting it slide for 1 or 2 people, now everyone gets fucked with a data cap. ISPs have been very lenient lately letting people use up a couple TBs worth of data, but 77? Fucking seriously? He is the reason all the other guys that only used 10 got called out on it.

ITT: haters hatin the guy seeding their torrents. And a bunch of jelly.

Users like that should probably be on business connections, but IMO they need to re-define the upper limits on 'reasonable' home use. The last time I read the TOS for my home FIOS line it said that you're not allowed to have public traffic going over port 80, ie a website - otherwise, nothing specific about what a business line gets you other than more and static addresses and such. The fact that the only thing Verizon can legally do here is send these guys hate mail says a lot - they know that they didn't plan what to do about these outliers.

ITT: haters hatin the guy seeding their torrents. And a bunch of jelly.

Users like that should probably be on business connections, but IMO they need to re-define the upper limits on 'reasonable' home use. The last time I read the TOS for my home FIOS line it said that you're not allowed to have public traffic going over port 80, ie a website - otherwise, nothing specific about what a business line gets you other than more and static addresses and such. The fact that the only thing Verizon can legally do here is send these guys hate mail says a lot - they know that they didn't plan what to do about these outliers.

Yes, I am exceptionally jelly of the asshole throttling my connection down the block.

I keep seeing the word "unlimited" used here...can anyone point to where Verizon states its unlimited?

I'm genuinely curious,as Ive never seen it advertised that way, so I'm just wondering if it is in fact advertised as such.

Verizon has never advertised an unlimited data plan for FIOS internet.

To all of you in this thread criticizing Verizon for advertising an unlimited plan: put up or shut up. I'll help you out - here's the page on which Verizon advertises its FIOS internet plans:

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/fastest-internet-plans/

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS

Basically Verizon chooses bandwidth on a location by location basis. If they see a small percentage of users using more than the average then they can restrict you at anytime.

Restrictions on Use. The Service is a consumer grade service and is not designed for or intended to be used for any commercial purpose. You may not resell, re-provision or rent the Service, (either for a fee or without charge) or allow third parties to use the Service via wired, wireless or other means. For example, you may not provide Internet access to third parties through a wired or wireless connection or use the Service to facilitate public Internet access (such as through a Wi-Fi hotspot), use it for high volume purposes, or engage in similar activities that constitute such use (commercial or non-commercial). If you subscribe to a Broadband Service, you may connect multiple computers/devices within a single home to your modem and/or router to access the Service, but only through a single Verizon-issued IP address. You also may not exceed the bandwidth usage limitations that Verizon may establish from time to time for the Service, or use the Service to host any type of server. Violation of this section may result in bandwidth restrictions on your Service or suspension or termination of your Service.

Service and Bandwidth Availability and Speed. The Service you select may not be available in all areas or at the rates, speeds, or bandwidth generally marketed, and some locations may not qualify for the Service even if initial testing showed that your line was qualified. We will provision qualified HSI lines at the maximum line rate available to your location based on our standard line qualification procedures, unless you have selected a level of service with a lower maximum line rate. Bandwidth is provided on a per-line (not a per-device) basis. The bandwidth available to each device connected to the network will vary depending upon the number, type and configuration of devices using the Service and the type of use (e.g., streaming media), among other factors. The speed of the Service will vary based on network or Internet congestion, your computer configuration, your use of FiOS TV video on demand service, the condition of your telephone line and the wiring inside your location, among other factors. We and our suppliers reserve the right, at any time, with or without prior notice to you, to restrict or suspend the Service to perform maintenance activities and to maintain session control.

To all of you in this thread criticizing Verizon for advertising an unlimited plan: put up or shut up. I'll help you out - here's the page on which Verizon advertises its FIOS internet plans:

You stand correct sir!
At no point anywhere on any of the personal data packages does it use the term unlimited, the term unlimited is used only on the $254+/ month business class packages.
Then again, there is also no discussion of minimum or maximum amount of data to be used either.
If Verizon wants to limit, they're well within their rights to do so on person accounts, but a general number should be set in stone as acceptable, or get a *customers found in repeat excess of X amount of data on a monthly basis may have their services revoked* fine print in there somewhere.

What's making up utter bullshit? The fact that there's no set hard cap and they expect users to fall within a reasonable bracket of normal residential usage? LOL

If that is true then why don't they just define the reasonable bracket IE put a cap on it? See was that so hard?

You stand correct sir!
At no point anywhere on any of the personal data packages does it use the term unlimited, the term unlimited is used only on the $254+/ month business class packages.
Then again, there is also no discussion of minimum or maximum amount of data to be used either.
If Verizon wants to limit, they're well within their rights to do so on person accounts, but a general number should be set in stone as acceptable, or get a *customers found in repeat excess of X amount of data on a monthly basis may have their services revoked* fine print in there somewhere.

The thing is most large ISP services that operate around the country don't set hard caps because the amount of data used in areas varies. A small town may use 20-50GB per user while a major city may use 500-600GB. So instead they just monitor areas where the usage is high and make improvements to the infrastructure to better handle the bandwidth requirements.

It's like having an office party and someone brought a cake that could be divided into 20 equal portions but some fat guy decided he needed a 5 man portion for himself, so everyone else suffers because of the single greedy one. But if 10 of the 20 people are fat than the you need to adjust the order and buy more cake.

https://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_policies&id=TOS

Basically Verizon chooses bandwidth on a location by location basis. If they see a small percentage of users using more than the average then they can restrict you at anytime.
Do they provide a list of the current restrictions? If not, they really should. It wouldn't be hard for them to notify you through your account, be it when you log in or through email. That should put an end to arguments.

Do they provide a list of the current restrictions? If not, they really should. It wouldn't be hard for them to notify you through your account, be it when you log in or through email. That should put an end to arguments.

Read my previous post. Essentially there are no restrictions, there are no soft caps. They just see one guy out of a million using more bandwidth than 99.9% of the population and tell him to cut it out. They eyeball the data and see a spike in the graph and figure out why. Now if that graph was gradually increased because more than 5% of the population was using that amount of bandwidth, then they would adjust their infrastructure accordingly.

Seems about right maybe a couple years ago they adverstied it as unlimited but i haven't seen them do that for a long time. Mostly it's circles of people who label it as unlimited, rightfully so until now there wasn't really a hard limit ie.cap but thanks to this asshole there is.

Read my previous post. Essentially there are no restrictions, there are no soft caps. They just see one guy out of a million using more bandwidth than 99.9% of the population and tell him to cut it out. They eyeball the data and see a spike in the graph and figure out why. Now if that graph was gradually increased because more than 5% of the population was using that amount of bandwidth, then they would adjust their infrastructure accordingly.
That's just sooo prejudice! :p

All joking aside, I do think that all ISP's should have to publish and update all limitations such as soft caps, etc., on any of their plans, not just the ones they tout as "unlimited". Or perhaps they should just make the fine print simply read: "Caveat Emptor Suckers!" and leave it at that.

No cap = unlimited, no?

I never read it as I am not the person who chose the internet package at my house. But quick look at that link didn't have a limit on it. They state a speed limit, so no I guess it's not unlimited, but it'd be that speed limit times the time of the month... And since he got it, either they would have chosen to not limit his speed, or he didn't reach the limit.

No cap = unlimited, no?

I never read it as I am not the person who chose the internet package at my house. But quick look at that link didn't have a limit on it. They state a speed limit, so no I guess it's not unlimited, but it'd be that speed limit times the time of the month... And since he got it, either they would have chosen to not limit his speed, or he didn't reach the limit.

Again , while it may be considered marketing speak , for all intends and purposes they are comparing their "no cap" to other ISP's that do actively cap or are still in the process of considering it. When caps were strongly enforced (which it sounds like Comcast is going back to a 300GB a month cap) Verizon FiOS residential service in comparison was basically "uncapped" even if it technically it wasn't. If you told one person they can have a service that caps and enforces 300GB per month usage versus 10TB's a month (or a soft cap) which do you think they would choose?

I don't understand why people are freaking out over this , only 45 users even got notices to trim down their usage or switch to a business account. Its not like Verizon told its entire user base that now their service is capped at 300GB's a month. The focus of this entire story is one user who abused his service and tried to take advantage of the soft cap on the residential part of the service. Verizon previous to this never sent out any kind of letters regarding over usage. So Verizon did an audit of their heaviest users and it came down to 45 accounts , sent them notices and probably to make an example of a abusive user , decided to terminate his account.

I would be extremely pissed off if my FiOS connection was being saturated 24/7/365 by some douche bag who wants to run a server farm out of his basement pirating tons of files and providing a VPN service to his buddies. If he wants to do that then he can get a business account so Verizon can at least be ready to cope with it on the residential service. The only reason he even got away with it for so long as there wasn't really anyone else on his GPON so it probably went unnoticed.

Honestly the highest I've gone on FiOS so far is probably this month , about 4TB's at this point. That's largely because of my Crashplan back up and redownloading my entire Steam library and various other things (legit I might add).

I don't get how people think it should be ok for this guy to use 77TB's of bandwidth in a month , I don't care how big your business is if you need that kind of bandwidth you should be on a full time business account and not a residential one.

He violated the TOS (more like raped it in terms of server bandwidth) and that's all there is to it. Considering what Comcast/TWC/At&t have done in the past to users concerning caps , this isn't really news worthy at all.

Why are so many people focusing on the amount of bandwidth he used? It's a straw-man. He violated the TOS by running a server and Verizon is telling him to upgrade to a business connection or cut it out. If this dude can afford enough equipment to need 77TB/mo he can probably afford another $100 for an appropriate connection.

was thinking the same thing, people have repeatedly stated that he was running a server farm (not just a server, a farm) at home, it is like people today are not reading anything else that does not agree with what they want.. oh wait :D

Meh, i only use probably 100GB a month.

Nut then, im not running a streaming server outside of my own home network.

lol, I guess you didnt read the thread, your comments apply to yourself :p

If they don't want people to use this amount why don't they say their is a cap of 10TB?

Then people who need to use more then that will know that they need a different connection.

Ok now this I can see being a bit abnormal. And I thought my 1.1TB usage I had on Comcast last month was bad. 10TB is pretty ridiculous for personal internet usage.

So? Who are you to judge? Some people think your 1.1TB is ridiculous. They signed a deal for unlimited and they should honor their deal. If verizon doesn't like it they should just change the name of the plan to the 10TB Plan. Not the UNLIMITED plan.

Well 10TB is excessive today, but I wonder what happens if say sometime in the near future we start streaming movies in 4k format and user starts using the bandwidth by the TB. Are they going to start sending out letters to everyone, or start implementing caps?

So? Who are you to judge? Some people think your 1.1TB is ridiculous. They signed a deal for unlimited and they should honor their deal. If verizon doesn't like it they should just change the name of the plan to the 10TB Plan. Not the UNLIMITED plan.
No they didnt.

I think that the purpose of unlimited is that the limit can change as average usage changes.

Very simply put. You want me to believe that a man with all the equipment listed below is doing all of this "serving" for free? Get fucking real. And to boot, what residential user has a server setup like that?

A 1u server acting as router and VPN server with 4 1.5TB disks.
A 1u testing server with two 1.5TB disks.
A 2u server—formerly a "colo box"—with eight 750GB disks
A 4u Solaris/ZFS backup machine with 24 1TB disks
Another 4u server—houkouonchi's main server with 24 2TB disks and two 3u storage expansion units, each with 15 3TB disks.
A 2u "Windows/miscellaneous" server with eight 1TB disks
Two 2u uninterruptible power supplies
Another 4u Solaris/ZFS server for backups with 24 1TB disks

False advertising... period.... the attorney general should get involved and place sanctions on verizon and force them to adhere to their advertisements...

As for anyone complaining about someone using 77tb a month..what the fuck did he pay for if not unlimited data? How the hell does that impact you in any way shape or form? It doesnt... if he wants to stream 24/7 in HD guess what? He paid for it, you didnt....

Bandwidth is super cheap... they have been sucking us dry for 2 decades now on that bullshit lie about impacting network speeds.... ITS THEIR NETWORK, UPGRADE THE FUCKING THING... thats what a business does to handle bandwidth.... if they dont, why are you using them? I pull down atleast 20tb a month on mine...between playing games and movies on 3 cellphones, 1 desktop, 1 laptop 1 ipad and 1 ipod....among thrree people....guess what? I paid for it... so either pay for my internet or go pound sand....

I gotta side with Verizon on this if its people using into the tens of terabytes per month. Kind of like a fat dude at an all you can eat buffet just gobbling down everything.

Back