Verizon FiOS Plans and Rates Revealed

Changing your speed tier will likely have no effect on your ping times

Since Ive had FIOS, Ive gone from 25/25 to 35/35 and I now have the 150/35 and my pings have remained the same

Indeed. The only thing that will change your ping is moving from a Coax connection to a Ethernet connection strait from the ONT. Doing this dropped my ping by 10ms.

Otherwise upgrading or downgrading only effects your raw throughput or "speed".

Indeed. The only thing that will change your ping is moving from a Coax connection to a Ethernet connection strait from the ONT. Doing this dropped my ping by 10ms.

Otherwise upgrading or downgrading only effects your raw throughput or "speed".

Very interesting Godmachine. So replacing COAX with Ethernet cable that runs from my modem to the service entry point will drastically improve my speeds? Does Verizon care if I do this?

We have 18/0.5 and 70GB limit for 55$. With another company, we could get 200/30 with 200GB/50GB for the low low low price of 200$ a month. Ridiculous.

When I see you guys talking about nice speeds for decent prices, I cry a little inside.

man where do you liveand whose your isp. my 25/2.5 400gb Cap only costs me $60/month.

Very interesting Godmachine. So replacing COAX with Ethernet cable that runs from my modem to the service entry point will drastically improve my speeds? Does Verizon care if I do this?

It will lower pings a bit , not increase speeds..

And no, they don't care ,but you need to call them and tell them to provision the ethernet port on your ONT
simply plugging in the ethernet will not work without them changing the configuration ...

EDIT: the COAX needs to stay in place if you have TV service ....otherwise some things wont work..there are ways around this, but if your using the actiontec modem just leave it in place and run the ethernet also

Last edited:
man where do you liveand whose your isp. my 25/2.5 400gb Cap only costs me $60/month.

Rogers in Ottawa

In my defense, I moved in with my gf and she had no clue what to get when she signed up for the contract. We'll fix that later!

It will lower pings a bit , not increase speeds..

And no, they don't care ,but you need to call them and tell them to provision the ethernet port on your ONT
simply plugging in the ethernet will not work without them changing the configuration ...

EDIT: the COAX needs to stay in place if you have TV service ....otherwise some things wont work..there are ways around this, but if your using the actiontec modem just leave it in place and run the ethernet also

I also noticed better pings from ditching the Actiontec modem and just releasing the IP from my Actiontec Verizon provided router to my N600. With the Actiontec it would easily get overloaded and my pings would spike because of this , I would recommend that if you are a heavy user or you better wireless speeds to release the IP from the Actiontec router and just hook up your own router instead. I don't think it needs to be said that you'll have to have Ethernet running from your ONT to do this , but just wanted to make that clear for anyone that doesn't know this.

Rogers in Ottawa

In my defense, I moved in with my gf and she had no clue what to get when she signed up for the contract. We'll fix that later!

ya, i'd look at something like teksavvy. Not to sure what you guys get in the east. I'd probably switch to teksavvy as well but where i live I only get cable through shaw. telus wont run lines 5 minutes out of town to where my community is. And no tleus = no teksavvy lol

FIOS is not available in Baltimore city

So im stuck with comcast since i dont want satellite.

I also noticed better pings from ditching the Actiontec modem and just releasing the IP from my Actiontec Verizon provided router to my N600. With the Actiontec it would easily get overloaded and my pings would spike because of this , I would recommend that if you are a heavy user or you better wireless speeds to release the IP from the Actiontec router and just hook up your own router instead. I don't think it needs to be said that you'll have to have Ethernet running from your ONT to do this , but just wanted to make that clear for anyone that doesn't know this.

I'm running the stock router, but luckily I have the newest one.... its the Actiontec MI424WR N Router REV. I..... which is supposed to be pretty good..so far Ive had no issued with it......
https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fileshare/plm/brochure/ATGIGEBHR_brochure.pdf

I actually have 2 because the installer brought one, then a week later, UPS showed up with one......I called to let them know and they said just keep it..:)

I find it really weird that there is a $10 difference between the 15/5 plan and the 50/25. I find myself no longer needing the extra bandwidth. For an extra $10 i could more than triple my speed. But this is a gimmick. 90% of their customers have no need for the 50/25 and will never use that bandwidth. But new customers will look at it and see the "value" for $10. VZ is making out because they're getting an extra $10/month out of people when they probably arent even using that extra bandwidth anyway.

I find it really weird that there is a $10 difference between the 15/5 plan and the 50/25. I find myself no longer needing the extra bandwidth. For an extra $10 i could more than triple my speed. But this is a gimmick. 90% of their customers have no need for the 50/25 and will never use that bandwidth. But new customers will look at it and see the "value" for $10. VZ is making out because they're getting an extra $10/month out of people when they probably arent even using that extra bandwidth anyway.

You obviously don't have a large , internet hogging family or don't live with a bunch of friends. For one person , unless that person is doing business over that connection , than yea for the most part extra speed is always more of a dollars versus sense argument. But for $10 more you get over triple your speed , most people would leap at that and not think twice.

But if you try using 15/5 with your family watching Netflix streams or uploading/downloading Youtube videos or using Hulu or Hulu Plus or any number of streaming services all at once you won't be that happy with it.

For me caps are my biggest issue , but speed is something I'm always willing to pay for. I want to get my work done in as fast as possible while still being able to do so with others sharing the connection.

Only a $5 discount for a 2-year agreement? That's kinda lame.

Plus, 15/5 for $64.99 a month is kinda crazy when I can get Comcast 30/5 for like $29.99/mo.

"Hello, Verizon FIOS rep? Yes, I'd like to cancel my account. I just found out Comcast has twice the speed for less than half the price. What's that? You'll give me a 1 year special to equal their speed and price if I stay? Well, in that case..."

I did this with my Vonage and FIOS accounts and it worked well enough.

If you have the ability to switch to FIOS and the financial means DO IT. One of the reasons VZ stopped their FIOS roll out; they have to start recouping the costs of their initial build out. Not to mention their dealings with Comcast. Say what you will about Verizon, but I for one will be drinking heavily from the 300 Mbps Kool-Aid.

Its like taking one for the team, and the team is those users who can only get Comcast or Charter etc.

300 Mbps Kool-Aid is a really nice flavor. I wonder how well Giganews keeps up with that speed.

This pricing makes no sense to me.

They say they are leaving pricing unchanged for current 25/25 and 35/35 subscribers as they transition them to 50/25and 70/35 at $74.99 and $84.99 respectively... They also say that this number is $5 higher if the user does not have FiOS phone service.

I don't have phone service, so according to this I should be paying $89.99 for 35/35 currently, but I don't think I am.

I'm paying $104.99 for a "double play" bundle, including 35/35 internet AND "FiOS Extreme HD" TV. Does this mean that my TV is only really costing me $15? :confused:

I don't know what y'all do from home on the internet, but paying as much as half y'all are talking about is crazy considering that it's only the internet. It's like internet up/down speed is the new crack.

But if you try using 15/5 with your family watching Netflix streams or uploading/downloading Youtube videos or using Hulu or Hulu Plus or any number of streaming services all at once you won't be that happy with it.

Agreed.

At any given time the following could be going on in my house:

Me:
- Playing Red Orchestra 2
- Bittorrent running on my basement linux server

Wife:
- Working late from home via Citrix connection to work.
- Streaming something over Netflix while working

Older Stepson:
- Downloading game from Steam on desktop.
- Playing Call of Modern Battlefield on Xbox 360
- Using laptop to view youtube videos / listen to streaming music while playing.

Younger Stepson:
- Downloading game from Steam on desktop.
- Playing Call of Modern Battlefield on Xbox 360
- Using laptop to view youtube videos / listen to streaming music while playing.

Not to mention any automated updates, cellphone activity or "On demand" streaming from set top boxes that may be going on.

Brief network diagram: (click for bigger)

Granted, all these things don't ALWAYS happen at the same time, but when they do, it's nice to know that I have sufficient bandwidth for my pings to not go into the stratosphere in my game :p

I feel like 15/5 would be extraordinarily insufficient for my purposes, and we're just a family of four...

I don't know what y'all do from home on the internet, but paying as much as half y'all are talking about is crazy considering that it's only the internet. It's like internet up/down speed is the new crack.

Well, you are on a computer enthusiast forum, and to get the most out of computers these days, you need internet bandwidth, and lots of it, so...

Oh it is, I have 25/25 for just me :cool:

And I'm going to jump on getting upgraded ASAP to 50/25.

If you have the ability to switch to FIOS and the financial means DO IT. One of the reasons VZ stopped their FIOS roll out; they have to start recouping the costs of their initial build out. Not to mention their dealings with Comcast. Say what you will about Verizon, but I for one will be drinking heavily from the 300 Mbps Kool-Aid.

Its like taking one for the team, and the team is those users who can only get Comcast or Charter etc.

You're willing to pay over $200/month just to have the ability to download faster than most places can handle? But hey people spend almost that much a month on a smart phone/service/data/etc so why the fuck not!

Verizon's FIOS most likely will never come tin San Francisco, however I can still hope on Sonic's fiber service, in that case though as tempting as it would be to pay $70/month for 1Gbps fiber (my epenis swells at the thought!) , I think I'd stick with the 100Mbps service for $40 cheaper... but who knows only time will tell

I've always tried to obtain the best possible internet service for my home so spending around $70-100 a month on it tends to be the norm for me.
  • Two phone lines for data + ISP subscription so I can bond two 56K modems for 128/kbs service (along with dedicated computer for firewall and caching proxy)
  • 512k SDSL service (can't remember the name of the ISP)
  • 1.5Mb/768kbs ADSL service through Speakeasy
  • 15Mb TimeWarner RoadRunner
  • 50/20 FIOS (current service)
There are people who can deal with waiting forever for a file to download and only browse the web occasionally or just use it for accessing social networks. Then you have people like me who would need shit NAO and also have jobs and other interests that require really fast and stable internet access. It hard sometimes to apply the "You get what you pay for" rule to broadband access but in the case of FIOS, you really do.

Wow, the prices are pretty high. I guess I don't feel that bad w/ having slow Internet from AT&T (Elite DSL at 6Mbps/512kbps) that costs me about $30/mo., no landline.

Only a $5 discount for a 2-year agreement? That's kinda lame.

Plus, 15/5 for $64.99 a month is kinda crazy when I can get Comcast 30/5 for like $29.99/mo.

I'm paying Time Warner $73/mo for my 30/5, and that's a deal with them. :mad:

But will they be pushing out to any other areas.....? Torrington, CT here and tired of Cablevision. :mad:

I agree with previous posters. I have never paid over 50 a month for Internet service. And right now I am paying 128 after fees etc for digital cable and internet and that is only because I have 3 renters that want cable and are willing to pay it as a portion of their bill expenses, so it is a deal for them.

But honestly most people on this forum probably have a smart phone as well so you guys are paying more in just internet fees than all other utility costs of maintaining a house....

But honestly most people on this forum probably have a smart phone as well so you guys are paying more in just internet fees than all other utility costs of maintaining a house....
its all about priorities .....

(sorry I posted similar ramblings on two topics)

Move to Sebastapol, CA (just north of San Fran) 1Gbps fiber exists there, $70 a month, or the Sunset in San Francisco, fiber will be there by the end of the year, or the entire city perhaps in 5 years.. (big perhaps on that :D)

Either way, moving to Kansas for fiber... I mean I guess if you have fiber you never really need to leave your home and that's probably a benefit .

I wouldn't move to California for any reason. Least of all internet bandwidth.

I don't see myself living there either, but there are worse places in the U.S. to live (like anywhere outside the northeast, for instance :p )

California I'd at least consider. Anything south or west of New York is just a living hell hole I wouldn't set foot in. I'd sooner move to Europe :p (Sweden has great bandwidth I hear)

I'd say the same thing about Kansas City, yet here we have people saying they want to move where Google is deploying it's fiber.

Speaking of Cali, why the hell is the tech capital of America have ass backwards amount of bandwidth?

I'm actually considering moving to either SanFran or LA area (for a job) but when I've researched it... most of the internet is still DSL or over priced cable packages.

Speaking of Cali, why the hell is the tech capital of America have ass backwards amount of bandwidth?

I'm actually considering moving to either SanFran or LA area (for a job) but when I've researched it... most of the internet is still DSL or over priced cable packages.
Because all the tech is wired... but they're paying business class pricing. And regardless of population, it still is fairly spread out, lots of suburbs etc. Cable and phone companies tend to have very tight strangleholds on anyone moving in on their turf, as a result you're kind of stuck with their technology.

If you're moving to SF, keep an eye out for sonic.net they're supposed to have a part of the Sunset (part of SF) wired with fiber for speeds for dirt cheap, supposedly the rest of SF in 5 years. Another company Monkey Brains, has been hounding DPW to lay fiber via microtrenching, in the Mission, but then again haven't heard anything in over a year from them.

15 meg for 65?$Thats expensive, I used to get 24meg FioS in europe for around 60 something a month

Zarathustra[H];1038799791 said:
I don't see myself living there either, but there are worse places in the U.S. to live (like anywhere outside the northeast, for instance :p )

California I'd at least consider. Anything south or west of New York is just a living hell hole I wouldn't set foot in. I'd sooner move to Europe :p (Sweden has great bandwidth I hear)

Texas would be a decent state to live.

A lot of you people aren't considering a number of reasons people move to areas they do...until you become a home owner.

Personally I would love to live in a warmer state. Not so much because I like warm weather. I hate it, but the warmer states have far less maintenance.

Here is somethings to think about:

- Colder states usually have shittier roads due to the snow ice. (Kansas being an exception). But good luck owning a Ferrari in Nebraska. The roads are so shitty here that just driving it on city roads would instantly decrease the value.

- Colder weather is more harmful on roofing/driveways/siding etc.

- States that have seasons usually have a yard. Let me told you how awesome it is to mow/till/maintain my yard that I spend so much time in per week. It isn't and anyone who says they enjoy mowing is someone you shouldn't hang out with because their life is boring.

PLUS:

Taxes!!!

States like
- Texas
- Nevada
- California
- Arizona
etc.

All have fairly cheap land and low property taxes.

For comparison sakes:

In the cheapest county in Omaha I pay 2900 a year in taxes on a 134,000 valuation house that was originally valued at 148,600 on 3100 in taxes when I bought it last year.

Coworker lives in Iowa and pays 3400 on a 298,000 valuation.

California has fairly cheap land? Uh, do you want to be anywhere near civilization? :)

Back