Verizon FIOS > Optimum Online

Apathy

Gawd
Just got my FIOS internet installed last friday. Went with the 20/20 package. I was going to go with the 20/5, but i need to keep my ratio up on the private trackers, and I figured this would be a better idea for that. Plus they offered me $10 off my monthly bill.

Total with taxes is $80 which includes a phone line. Free install! Unfortunately they don't offer TV in my area yet, so I am still stuck with optimum online for that :(

I went from never getting my rated OOL speeds of 15/2, to constantly getting my 20/20 speeds with Verizon FIOS. I'd do my speedtests on broadbandreports.com(dslreports.com), and speakeasy.net testing the various servers. OOL @ 4am would sometimes give me 12/1.8, rest of the time during the day and peak hours, I'd get around 4-9 down and usually around 1-1.8 up.

Typically my download speeds on OOL were around 1.2mb down on the top end, and 200k up. The 1.2 down was when downloading off Steam, or some other sites that I frequent. I tried the "Boost" package that they offered... that literally did NOTHING.

With FIOS, I am hitting 2.5mb down and 2.5 up simultaneously.

I think the math is: rated up/down divided by 8. So 20 down / 20 up should be 2.5mb/2.5mb.

I love fios. Ping's are lower in games, noticing less ploss as well. Maybe these are just coincidences, only had the new line for a few days.

Other cool thing about the package is that the new modem comes with the wireless bundled inside of it. Also acts as a power supply? Supposedly has a battery backup? Haven't really looked into either one of those yet.

My pc, xbox, and ps3 are all much happier now.

Buahahahhaah!!!!

I hate you.

Stuck with Commiecast here, barely ever get 8.0down/1.5up. Actually real world sustained speeds its more like 750Kbs down and 125Kbs up. I hate comcast!

i used to have comcast when i lived out in cali. oh god was it horrible. tv sucked, internet sucked... god damnt i hated comcast so much. optimum online was like a gift from god. when you notice webpages loading faster, even a simple one like google.com, you know that theres something better about the other.

sorry for your troubles dude :p maybe verizon will pay a visit to your neighborhood soon.

Im looking for a new house, one of the requirements is it must be in a FIOS area, ha!

Yeah, FIOS definitely rocks. I got their 20/5 package with TV. I leave my machine on 24/7 so I can afford to keep my trackers going.

And yes, I never see less than the rated speed over wired. It's awesome.

FIOS > *.

Ridiculously, one of my requirements for a new house in my recent search has also been that its fios available. I am delusional, but i like it.

watch out though. I swear Verizon starts throttling p2p traffic and such. I used to be able to get huge torrents (like 4gbs) in a few hours, I am lucky to get one in a day now. Talking huge amounts of seeders from my normal high quality sources.

I've had FIOS for over a year now and the speeds have gotten slower over time.
I still see Steam downloads of 1.5mb but that is down from 2+.

@big bacon

It might just be the area you are in. If a lot of people in your area just had access to FIOS over the last year, maybe the bandwidth is just being used up by your neighbors. I know for areas like NYC that just got it, I could see that definitely being an issue.

I have heard of and seen posts with people saying that their ISP's are throttling p2p usage, and I have gone through about 50 gigs in 3 days over my line, so that may not be a good thing :p.

But I am paying for 20/20, and if they decide to throttle, then I'll call up, and if they admit to it and give me the reason, maybe I'll just tell them to fix it or I will change back to cable.

But thanks for the heads up dude.

The speeds have not gotten slower over time. If they have for you its on you're end. Its pretty simple really, go to speedtest.net. You should be getting what you paid for. I get a steady 20/20 now, and the day I got FiOS over a year ago. Don't expect anything less.

Other cool thing about the package is that the new modem comes with the wireless bundled inside of it. Also acts as a power supply? Supposedly has a battery backup?

The BBU is attached (not inside of) the ONT (optical network terminal). That is probably what you are confusing with the "modem". There really isn't a modem with a FiOS install. And the wireless is part of the Actiontec/Westell router they gave you, not in the ONT.

Anything you could possibly want to know is here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

@big bacon

It might just be the area you are in. If a lot of people in your area just had access to FIOS over the last year, maybe the bandwidth is just being used up by your neighbors. I know for areas like NYC that just got it, I could see that definitely being an issue.

I have heard of and seen posts with people saying that their ISP's are throttling p2p usage, and I have gone through about 50 gigs in 3 days over my line, so that may not be a good thing :p.

But I am paying for 20/20, and if they decide to throttle, then I'll call up, and if they admit to it and give me the reason, maybe I'll just tell them to fix it or I will change back to cable.

But thanks for the heads up dude.

It's trying to throttle where I am, or so my brother told me after looking around where I am. Apparently, there is a new firmware or something with the modem they give you they force you to update to it. You can manually take off the auto update and it'll still update it. However,you can uninstall the update yourself and revert to the older firmware(if you didn't get the firmware with the modem).

It's trying to throttle where I am, or so my brother told me after looking around where I am. Apparently, there is a new firmware or something with the modem they give you they force you to update to it. You can manually take off the auto update and it'll still update it. However,you can uninstall the update yourself and revert to the older firmware(if you didn't get the firmware with the modem).

how do you do this? I totally forgot that they auto push updates to you.

50gigs in 3 days! thats the thing. I used to be able to do that no problem but now I can't. And it's not any router settings I changed it just started getting slower over time. Most of the time with P2P I am lucky to see a 200k/sec download where as the first 6 months or so I had it, it would be 5 times that or more.

It's only P2P type stuff, normal downloads and games are not effected.

From what I've been told, Verizon does not throttle p2p traffic. I confirmed this with three different techs and a manager.

Of course, they could be lying to me. :)

From what I've been told, Verizon does not throttle p2p traffic. I confirmed this with three different techs and a manager.

Of course, they could be lying to me. :)

I would never believe what an ISP says.......
I am forced to lie to customers on a daily basis about our network

how do you do this? I totally forgot that they auto push updates to you.

50gigs in 3 days! thats the thing. I used to be able to do that no problem but now I can't. And it's not any router settings I changed it just started getting slower over time. Most of the time with P2P I am lucky to see a 200k/sec download where as the first 6 months or so I had it, it would be 5 times that or more.

It's only P2P type stuff, normal downloads and games are not effected.

I'll ask my brother and get back to you, he's the one that reveresed it. If you got the modem with the capped firmware though, you're more or less stuck.

I would never believe what an ISP says.......
I am forced to lie to customers on a daily basis about our network

I haven't been told to lie outright. But I was told to say things like "We're working on it" or something to make them think so even though we probably aren't, not actively anyway. My friend who worked at a hotel was told that he was told to never say that they are out of rooms, outright, just that rooms are being cleaned and currently not available at the present time. Or something about this or that.. it's like freakin politics, disappoint them but never let them know the truth and ease it as much as you can so they won't complain about you.

I'll ask my brother and get back to you, he's the one that reveresed it. If you got the modem with the capped firmware though, you're more or less stuck.

I haven't been told to lie outright. But I was told to say things like "We're working on it" or something to make them think so even though we probably aren't, not actively anyway. My friend who worked at a hotel was told that he was told to never say that they are out of rooms, outright, just that rooms are being cleaned and currently not available at the present time. Or something about this or that.. it's like freakin politics, disappoint them but never let them know the truth and ease it as much as you can so they won't complain about you.

Sometimes I have to give the "We're Working on it" Or its something with your computer or router. When its totally something with our system. Also the fact everyone ask's me if we traffic shape in anyway i tell them no which is a lie. Nothing i can do about it, my boss tells me what to tell them and i do. Gotta love politics and the chain of command

We had fios at my old place and it was highly disappointing. The equipment they gave us was crap, and would degrade to the point of having to be reset every few days. We have cox in our area now and I regularly hit 2 megs down from steam. I couldn't care less about upload speed.

It'll be years before my area ever sees something like FIOS. Believe me, if I had it available I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

When people refer to Megabyte and Megabit, both by mb, it irritates the hell out of me because I don't know which one your talking about.

MB = Byte
Mb = Bit

So you have 20mb up 20mb down which gives you about a 2.5MB up, 2.5MB down?

We use OOL , i've personally never had an issue with them. We had the 30/10 or 30/15 , i forget the up. It was pretty nice for the little while we used it. After that we downgraded to the 15/2 and it's been fine , usually a consistant 1.5 - 1.7 down, and maybe 500k up.

but about half a year ago we were going to use FIOS , even had a work order ready, but we called up OOL and they offered the 30/10 biz package for the standard package price for a year.

bigdogchris said:
When people refer to Megabyte and Megabit, both by mb, it irritates the hell out of me because I don't know which one your talking about.

MB = Byte
Mb = Bit

Generally, if it's file size, it'll be bytes but internet speed, its bits. But yea that does tend to be annoying sometimes.

Optimum Boost did nothing for you? Really?

I went from similar speeds to your Optimum line to this (just ran it, I usually get 30ish but this time I fell short lol:

Although, if FiOS was available here (I don't know why it's still not available in Brooklyn - wtf, seriously?) I'd jump on it immediately.

...but still, my speeds are very comparable.

Meh.

DOCSIS 3.0 is incoming.

Local cable company here is ramping up for it quietly (they were kinda surprised when I said something about it in a job interview) :)

Potential for 100mbit (for a price of course), but odds are as with most cable providers it'll be horribly staggered up/down, like 30mbit down, 1mbit up

Gimmie a 30 down / 30 up and I'll sell my family to a drug cartel :D

5mb/512k here. On top of that, it's charter so put a 100GB cap on monthly usage and I have some enjoyable experiences <_<.

I hate you.

Stuck with Commiecast here, barely ever get 8.0down/1.5up. Actually real world sustained speeds its more like 750Kbs down and 125Kbs up. I hate comcast!

I have Comcast too and can only hit over 750 for a few seconds at best. It has to be capped or something, well with the exception being speed test of course.

As more people sign up for it, FIOS does degrade...especially in the TV areas. There's just not enough bandwidth to handle the load.

Last edited:
Over a year now with it and I get the same speed. Pegging all the speedtests at 20Mbps. Not convinced yet that its Verizon's fault if you're speed isn't up to par, most likely PEBKAC.

I hate you.

Fucking CommieCast.

Also, you're DAMN LUCKY to be getting 125KBs up. Most of us are lucky to get half that in sustained real world speeds.

you guys are luckly to have FIOS we have crappy fiber to the home here in rural northwest ohio the fastest I got with my FTTH connection was 8mb down and probley 4 mb upload. I wish we can have 20/20 here in rural northwest ohio but its not going to happen anytime soon.

Fucking CommieCast.

Also, you're DAMN LUCKY to be getting 125KBs up. Most of us are lucky to get half that in sustained real world speeds.

lol, I can do that but my roommates will start complaining b/c the cheap commiecast cripple router will start kicking them off wireless. So 100kb/s is real world best.

Well thats not even the worst thing. Lately I've started playing CS:S / BF2 and out of nowhere I keep getting these weird latency / lag spikes in servers. I tested out whether it was my roommates dling / torrenting by disabling wireless during the late / early hours and still I get these damn latency spikes whenever playing.

So I'm guessing whenver some jackass in my neighborhood is downloading a 20Mb movie trailer of yahoo, comcast reallocates my bandwith to give him/her an artificial speedboost.

MB = Byte
Mb = Bit

I always find wikipedia's List of device bandwidths to be useful because they show you both megabits and megabytes.

You'll see from the list that 20 megabits/sec does indeed mean 2.5 megabytes/sec.

1 byte = 8 bits
1 megabyte/sec = 8 megabits/sec
1 megabit/sec = 0.125 megabytes/sec

444382175.png

I always find it funny when people complain about cablevision. They monopolize the island and bring speeds unheard of in most areas of the country for the longest time. When I liked on Long Island we had the 30mb package and it never faulted. Sorry to see you guys with trouble. If I was in LI there would be no reason for me to switch to Verizon, imo.

watch out though. I swear Verizon starts throttling p2p traffic and such. .

Not that it would really affect me because I do not use torrents or seed them but I think everyone would agree that it is a better deal than a 40GB cap. I hear TWC is moving their new policy to my city.

OOL has great customer service, but in my region, the service goes to crap during high demand hours (7pm on).
Do a speedtest at 6:30 am and you'll see 12MB/s down, but in the evening 1.5MB/s down is typical.

we aren't lucky we are all suckers my brother got transferred to Japan and he pays 20 bucks a month with a company called J:Com 160-megabit connection. Shit were are way behind when it comes to internet.

Back