• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Verizon doing away with unlimited data. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerraraZ

Gawd
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
578
Now this is not really "news" and we all knew that they had a soft cap of 5 GB but it still changes the environment for people wanting to upgrade phones and alter plans on big red down the line. How do you feel about Verizon possibly having a pricing scheme similar to AT&T? Save money or pissed theres a cap on your data now?

It has me thinking I need to switch to Verizon 4G LTE thunderbolt now while I can and get grandfathered into a fast 4G standard.
 
I don't believe they have a cap now, it is definitely not at 5gb. They did say they were going to throttle the heavy users, but I consider a heavy user far past 5gb monthly usage.
 
Evo3D and the Samsung Within (GSII variant) are the two top phones coming soon
 
I don't mind paying full retail for my future phones as long as I can stay grandfathered into my unlimited 4G LTE.
 
Evo3D and the Samsung Within (GSII variant) are the two top phones coming soon

With those two phones you really don't need a whole lot else. Seems like Sprint is sticking to its previous strategy of having one top end HTC and one top end Samsung phone like the original Evo vs. Epic. As long as they keep picking the good stuff, I think it's a better business decision than inundating everyone with a bazillion small variants, especially with testing and rolling out updates.
 
I don't know yet. If others offer unlimited then I jump ship after my contract is up if I can't grandfather my unlimited 4G provided I buy the phone at full price. I'm still doubting unlimited goes completely away. I'm thinking it goes up in price which 90% of the population won't want to pay or the family plan will offer a ton of bandwidth (say 10GB) a month which would be fine for me as my wife uses maybe 300MB lol.
 
I don't believe they have a cap now, it is definitely not at 5gb. They did say they were going to throttle the heavy users, but I consider a heavy user far past 5gb monthly usage.

I believe you're right. Here's this months data usage for me. My cycle ends on the 20th.




I was mainly just trying to see how high I could get my data usage this month using my phone tethered with PdaNet 3.0 as my main connection. Above is the results. I could've gotten more but the speed was the problem. Too slow browsing speed while downloading stuff.

The highest speeds I ever saw was 325 KB's. It averaged around 175KB's though.
 
I don't believe they have a cap now, it is definitely not at 5gb. They did say they were going to throttle the heavy users, but I consider a heavy user far past 5gb monthly usage.

5Gb is pretty hard to exceed though. I consider myself a heavy user, streaming music, browsing sites, watching videos, forums, IRC chat, etc.....and if I exceed 1Gb in a month its a big month.

I don't mind paying full retail for my future phones as long as I can stay grandfathered into my unlimited 4G LTE.

Thanks to the ATT/TMo merger the devices will likely only get more expensive, up for paying $800 for a phone every couple years? I'm not.

I believe you're right. Here's this months data usage for me. My cycle ends on the 20th.




I was mainly just trying to see how high I could get my data usage this month using my phone tethered with PdaNet 3.0 as my main connection. Above is the results. I could've gotten more but the speed was the problem. Too slow browsing speed while downloading stuff.

The highest speeds I ever saw was 325 KB's. It averaged around 175KB's though.

You made the point I was going to make when I came into this thread. That instead of trying to play cat and mouse over illegal tethering abusers, they simply said ok. Now everybody suffers because of the exceptional users. That's more than my well connected house uses total in a month some months. That's two Android phones, a 360, Wii, Vonage phone, wifes laptop, and my desktop with XBMC + streaming plugins.

Thoughts? My thought is there are a few fucktards that raped the bandwidth wagon as if the network they were using was their own. People like this abused the loosely controlled "unlimited" VZW network so now we all pay. Here I am using it quite regularly and using a whopping 1-2Gb a month and we got people paying the same thing illegally tethering 65Gb a month as if they have the right.
 
Thoughts? My thought is there are a few fucktards that raped the bandwidth wagon as if the network they were using was their own. People like this abused the loosely controlled "unlimited" VZW network so now we all pay. Here I am using it quite regularly and using a whopping 1-2Gb a month and we got people paying the same thing illegally tethering 65Gb a month as if they have the right.

Exactly what I'm saying!...wait!...

:D
 
I just hope they announce a family share data plan. Something like 2-5Gb a month cap for $30 shared between two phones or more. That would cut my bill by $30. I'm sure they will figure out a way to make it up....time will tell.
 
I'm fine with it as long as prices are reasonable. $30 for 2gb is not reasonable, that should be like a $10 plan.
 
I'm fine with it as long as prices are reasonable. $30 for 2gb is not reasonable, that should be like a $10 plan.

Doubt this since with the AT&T merger, it'll be VZW and AT&T controlling the market and the prices. This will be first step in setting the industry standard :(
 
I think its dumb they charge more than it cost per gb in flash memory. That price gouging hard core.
 
Because flash memory is like mobile bandwidth.

It's not and thats the point, flash is expensive and something physical. It's cheaper to get 2gb of data on an expensive medium than it is mobile connection.
 
Why not just charge us 1$ per GB. Period enough said.

If I burn 65 GB then Im out 65$, if I am a real hog and I burn more than 100 then the price doubles to 2/GB. So 101GB = $202

That is a sure fire way to treat the system fairly across the board.

And my last question, does Verizon really pay for bandwidth, I mean who the hell really owns bandwidth? It is basically just electricity? I understand the more you transmit and receive on a network the higher the electricity cost. But at the end of the day who really owns bandwidth, its like who really owns the moon?
 
It's not and thats the point, flash is expensive and something physical. It's cheaper to get 2gb of data on an expensive medium than it is mobile connection.

Why not just charge us 1$ per GB. Period enough said.

If I burn 65 GB then Im out 65$, if I am a real hog and I burn more than 100 then the price doubles to 2/GB. So 101GB = $202

That is a sure fire way to treat the system fairly across the board.

And my last question, does Verizon really pay for bandwidth, I mean who the hell really owns bandwidth? It is basically just electricity? I understand the more you transmit and receive on a network the higher the electricity cost. But at the end of the day who really owns bandwidth, its like who really owns the moon?

you guys should look into the equipment it takes to go from your phone to the internet backbone
 
Why not just charge us 1$ per GB. Period enough said.

If I burn 65 GB then Im out 65$, if I am a real hog and I burn more than 100 then the price doubles to 2/GB. So 101GB = $202

That is a sure fire way to treat the system fairly across the board.

And my last question, does Verizon really pay for bandwidth, I mean who the hell really owns bandwidth? It is basically just electricity? I understand the more you transmit and receive on a network the higher the electricity cost. But at the end of the day who really owns bandwidth, its like who really owns the moon?

Would be nice if it were like that except they wouldn't make any money which is why they don't do it. Most of the people I know don't ever go over a gig. So they would be paying 1 dollar a month for data.
 
you guys should look into the equipment it takes to go from your phone to the internet backbone
Would the equipment be any different than a normal cabled isp except for the wireless tower? I doubt it, I don't know how similar it is but I would bet they use the same equipment until the cell tower. I don't see them (cabled isp) trying to charge $30 a month for 2gb of data either.
 
Would the equipment be any different than a normal cabled isp except for the wireless tower? I doubt it, I don't know how similar it is but I would bet they use the same equipment until the cell tower. I don't see them (cabled isp) trying to charge $30 a month for 2gb of data either.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: I likes!
 
Would be nice if it were like that except they wouldn't make any money which is why they don't do it. Most of the people I know don't ever go over a gig. So they would be paying 1 dollar a month for data.

Well that's easily fixed by just adding to the existing data plan; $30/month for X GBs and X amount per GB over that. I'm sure what price they actually implement past the initial limit will be absurd rather than reasonable though.
 
Would the equipment be any different than a normal cabled isp except for the wireless tower? I doubt it, I don't know how similar it is but I would bet they use the same equipment until the cell tower. I don't see them (cabled isp) trying to charge $30 a month for 2gb of data either.

because stringing a cable on a pole thats already there is completely like leasing property to erect a tower and no, the equipment is vastly more expensive

it doesnt matter how much it costs

they pay the cost to provide the service, they make the terms for the network they paid for and you agreed to those terms...or you don't....and you move on....you dont justify stealing data on their network by saying they charge too much....that might fool you but some of us see the truth
 
because stringing a cable on a pole thats already there is completely like leasing property to erect a tower and no, the equipment is vastly more expensive

it doesnt matter how much it costs

they pay the cost to provide the service, they make the terms for the network they paid for and you agreed to those terms...or you don't....and you move on....you dont justify stealing data on their network by saying they charge too much....that might fool you but some of us see the truth

Do you know how much more expensive this equipment is? Your not providing any numbers here, up to the tower the cost should be around the same as a normal isp. I highly doubt it justifies $30 for 2gb for the cell tower equipment. Oh and the fact that sprint offers unlimited data (truly unlimited) for not outrageous prices kind of makes your point invalid since they are showing it doesn't cost ridiculous amounts of money for bandwidth, sure it's not the fastest but it can be done.

LOL. So saying they charge to much = stealing data? WTF!?

I'm on the 150mb plan, so I can't really "steal" data since they charge me $15 every 150mb which is way too much.
 
Last edited:
Verizon can blow me. Those are my thoughts.

I agree.

(And my 65GB monthly usage confirms this...lol)


People want to blame high usage users and set them on fire, like this data cap wasn't in the works for years just waiting to be implemented! :rolleyes: (Read: long before any tethering loophole)

Yup, I made Verizon want more money for less service. Yeah, that was all me!
I love defenders of big business, I bet they watch/love WWE too (/sarcasm).

Which brings me back to his opinion. I feel the same way. They're a ripoff and always were. I just wanted to see how much I could use before they stopped me. Well, they didn't stop me, they're stopping everyone. Who knew!

(I did)
 
I agree.

(And my 65GB monthly usage confirms this...lol)


People want to blame high usage users and set them on fire, like this data cap wasn't in the works for years just waiting to be implemented! :rolleyes: (Read: long before any tethering loophole)

Yup, I made Verizon want more money for less service. Yeah, that was all me!
I love defenders of big business, I bet they watch/love WWE too (/sarcasm).

Which brings me back to his opinion. I feel the same way. They're a ripoff and always were. I just wanted to see how much I could use before they stopped me. Well, they didn't stop me, they're stopping everyone. Who knew!

(I did)

I won't blame the high bandwidth users. If you are sold something that is unlimited that's what you should get. If you are sold an amount of bandwidth that's fine also. Personally I thought $30 was too expensive for any cellphone data plan since I only use like 50mb a month so thats why I didn't get a data plan till verizon had a $15 plan. I still think its a ripoff but I'm willing to pay $15 for the convenience of mobile data, at $30 I am not no matter the amount bandwidth.
 
Guys, need answers asap!

HTC Thunderbolt, best Verizon 4G phone currently? Anything new coming out SOON before the unlimited ends?

Have this thing in cart ready to pull the trigger.
 
I NEVER NEVER EVER want to have the Government infringe the freedoms and liberties of free born individuals and the businesses that they create and own. However there will be a point where all this capped data plans etc will pose a threat to the required commerce of our republic. It is a matter of time before the courts or the federal govt installs legislation or through a court case ruling measure to prevent the capping of what should not be regulated, and that is data and bandwidth.

Once again I question, who owns bandwidth? Is it something that can have a deed of ownership placed on it? Or is this like saying, "I own the atmosphere on my property, so there fore I am going to cap what you breathe in cubic feet or you will be charged more for overage of breathing". It just can't be done that way. it is not a tanigible substance or product. Companies need to simply charge a fee for access and maintenance of the lines or mediums by which we access the worlds unlimited amount of data.

The math is very simple:

Expenses to build network from point A to B cost $xx.xx so we charge our expenses plus $xx.xx more/mon to create a profit. They are doing way more that just that and if you ask me are creating a monopoly. Why do you think ATT wants to buy Tmobile? If they get the little guy out of the way early enough before they have a chance to really blossom then they can not exist in the future to threaten the monopolistic capital power that ATT desires.

For the public to say its okay to cap bandwidth and data transfer, we are basically giving in to the big corporate monopoly dogs. Its like saying okay fed govt you can create the ATF, but only with very limtied powers, its okay to create the USDA but only with limited powers, its okay to create the IRS but with only limtied powers only to tax the rich and not the poor, oh wait .... now look at us decades later. The poor is taxed, the USDA tells you what you can and cant eat, and the ATF certainly doesnt grow tobacco, create firearms, and come out with fine tasting varieties of beer. They have bloated and grown out of power because we said its okay. Lets not fight it. Im cool with 2GB/mon for tons of money. When before we had the freedom to have unlimited for less money. If anything people should be getting freaking PISSED off and telling Verizon and others you need to reduce the cost to your customers and offer double freaking unlimited bandwidth or we will leave you. Period.

And lets do the math:

If verizon has 80,000,000 customers, I have no idea, and the average monthly income per plan is $100.00 that would be 8,000,000,000/mon. You are telling me that 8 Billion a month in income is not enough to cover taxes, employees, network, and other expenses??? What the fuck are they doing wrong? Yeah thats just an example and they probably have no where near that many customers but you get the picture.

Its all the same.
 
Last edited:
I don't understand why all the angst. Its a service owned by someone else. You either agree and pay for it or you don't. Stealing because you think its too expensive is still stealing.
 
I don't understand why all the angst. Its a service owned by someone else. You either agree and pay for it or you don't. Stealing because you think its too expensive is still stealing.

Wait...what?

Stealing?

SMH!

Again...what?

I'm pretty sure (like 1,000%) if it were legally stealing than said company would report it and people would get arrested.

Last time I checked (here in reality where I live) saying something is unlimited when it's actually not is a lot worse to most people At least it's worse than paying for unlimited data and trying to use your unlimited data! Unlimitedly!!!

Now I'm stealing!!!

R:DFL@U!!!
 
Last edited:
You either agree and pay for it or you don't..

Also...

One cable provider where I live
One electric company
One water source
One.... get it yet?

I think big business abuses their powers just a little, don't you think?
Put all cell phones on one technoogy and let them compete for our business, not price gouge us to death when they have the best of something.




I should not have one electric company. Electricity is traded on the stock market for science sakes. I should have my choice of electric company. ISP too!


You either agree and pay for it or you don't..

Speaking of this. Where can I opt out of social security tax?
I mean it's not gonna be around when I need it anyway so why do I have to pay for it?
(I hope you get the point! There's little choice and you make it sound like we have never ending choices on this tiny planet)
 
Wait...what?

Stealing?

SMH!

Again...what?

I'm pretty sure (like 1,000%) if it were legally stealing than said company would report it and people would get arrested.

Last time I checked (here in reality where I live) saying something is unlimited when it's actually not is a lot worse to most people At least it's worse than paying for unlimited data and trying to use your unlimited data! Unlimitedly!!!

Now I'm stealing!!!

R:DFL@U!!!

It has terms. It says Unlimited as a general rule, and as a general rule it is unlimited. I use mine in an "unlimited" fashion. I dont track usage. I use the piss out of it. To me this is unlimited use of the data on the device I am authorized to use on their network. I use it any way I want according to the terms and life is good. Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure! But that doesn't matter. It isn't. Just because I want it to be that way doesn't mean I get to steal the service by using it outside of the terms of the contract.

To them it matters how you get the data (device vs. tethering). It doesn't matter what you think because it's not your network. If you want unlimited wireless data go invest in a network for your own use. If you want to use their network, you have to play by their rules. It's a very simple concept. In the contract they have the right to do whatever they need to do to curb usage as necessary. They determine what's necessary because it's their network. If they wanted to say unlimited data only on your handset and only on Tuesdays......they can. It says you have to pay $20 extra to connect additional devices (tethering). They do not have to allow other devices on their network. Illegally tethering other devices is a breech of contract. Be happy they didn't just terminate the contract and send you a bill-per-megabyte. Yes they could do that.

Also...

One cable provider where I live
One electric company
One water source
One.... get it yet?

I think big business abuses their powers just a little, don't you think?
Put all cell phones on one technoogy and let them compete for our business, not price gouge us to death when they have the best of something.




I should not have one electric company. Electricity is traded on the stock market for science sakes. I should have my choice of electric company. ISP too!




Speaking of this. Where can I opt out of social security tax?
I mean it's not gonna be around when I need it anyway so why do I have to pay for it?
(I hope you get the point! There's little choice and you make it sound like we have never ending choices on this tiny planet)

You are starting to sound like you are off your meds now. None of this has anything to do with people abusing the loosely controlled network we HAD. Congratulations. Now you can tether or whatever all you want but once you hit a cap you will pay even more. Now had people been more reasonable with it and followed the terms of the contract....it might have been different....
 
Last edited:
I believe you're right. Here's this months data usage for me. My cycle ends on the 20th.




I was mainly just trying to see how high I could get my data usage this month using my phone tethered with PdaNet 3.0 as my main connection. Above is the results. I could've gotten more but the speed was the problem. Too slow browsing speed while downloading stuff.

The highest speeds I ever saw was 325 KB's. It averaged around 175KB's though.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank you for being part of the problem and the reason why this tiered data shit is happening. :mad:
 
Ok. let's just say that people like J32P are basically the digital equivalent of the type of people who go to an "All you can eat" buffet and manage to clear out the buffet, and get pissed when the owner comes out and tells them not to come back, or no you can't have a doggie bag to feed someone at home too.

Verizon is seeing what AT&T was seeing a year ago, but most people here and other places was cosigning because they heard their service was the worst. I never understood how some people could have that attitude and then gloat how they used 60gb of bandwidth last month.

If rooting and the like stayed fringe then maybe it could be overlooked, but anyone can look this up and getting services like tethering for free is the benefit. Does this not sound like Napster did in 1999? It's not as easy as going to a site and installing a program but could be some day and then it's a major issue. Best to stop it when it's 2% of the people doing it instead of 50%
 
I guess my qestion is, I signed a contract with verizon on 1/5/2011 of this year, but my qestion is can they limit the data i use, after i signed the contract or can they pretty much do what they want? because if thats the case. then i am going to rasie hell.

is it nomal, i have to call #228 every week just to reprogram my phone? because if i dont, when i try to sent a text message out nobody will get them, and i have called them countless time's about it. and they dont seem to care. i am almost ready to tell them to gofo
 
Unless there's a clause where 'unlimited' has a max rate, or a rate in which you will be throttled then no there's not much they can do. But they could force you to give it up the next time you upgrade however.
 
I guess my qestion is,

1. I signed a contract with verizon on 1/5/2011 of this year, but my qestion is can they limit the data i use, after i signed the contract or can they pretty much do what they want? because if thats the case. then i am going to rasie hell.

2. is it nomal, i have to call #228 every week just to reprogram my phone? because if i dont, when i try to sent a text message out nobody will get them, and i have called them countless time's about it. and they dont seem to care. i am almost ready to tell them to gofo

1. They have always had the ability to limit anyone on the network. They just never were hardcore about it. They did stuff like throttling heavy users and the like.

per the contract we signed:

Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?
We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee.

That statement is very ambiguous. For good reason. It pretty much means they can do anything they want with their network as long as they notify you in writing. A simple letter sent to the address on file is all they have to provide.

2. no thats not normal. can you provide more details. you might just need to have the device re provisioned on the network (DMU key reset), easiest method is to swap ESN's between two devices and right back...it's like registering your device on the network for the first time again...it has fixed some issues including 3G connectivity/speed issues i had on my Fascinate


Unless there's a clause where 'unlimited' has a max rate, or a rate in which you will be throttled then no there's not much they can do. But they could force you to give it up the next time you upgrade however.


you should read the contract terms......there's almost nothing they cant do. its their network.....why do people act like VZW needs anyone elses approval to do anything...???

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?
We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (1) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) resell your Service; (c) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (d) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission; (e) steal from or lie to us; or, if you're a Postpay customer, (f) pay late more than once in any 12 months; (g) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (h) provide credit information we can't verify; or (i) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; or (2) if you, any user of your device or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...GREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgreement.jsp
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top