Verizon CEO: Get Ready for Tiered Data Plans

I'm at 3.5GB and I wasn't really doing anything important this month. Just doing some streaming flash video trying out the new Flash 10.1 player and downloading some ROMs using ROM Manager.

I haven't paid for a single app yet on the android market....

You must be easy to please, or ?, but a lot of the "best" Android apps are paid apps, and the developers deserve our measly dollars. It's amazing that so many smart phone users (Android and iPhone), who pay nearly $1,000 dollars a year for their smart phone hardware/service are so hesitant to spend a few dollars for an app.

if your phone supports browsing all it takes is hitting the wrong website, which may have lots of embedded images, animated gifs or so forth. Try going to a photography site or open a photo thread.

I still dont understand why people with "smart" phones text? Every phone has an email address you can email for free (assuming you have a data plan). No need for a texting plan. I caught onto this long ago.

I very rarely text also. I usually IM. Faster than either text or email. But the fact that anyone charges for texting is absolutely ridiculous. It has never, ever cost the cell companies money to send SMS traffic over their networks. They just don't have their customers in mind. They only care about your money and new ways to rid you of it. Greed!

Oh, and to answer your main point. I have friends that don't have smart phones and so they text. It is still cheaper to go with a low end texting add-on than to pay per text because they charge you for incoming and out going. See: GREED!

I just checked and Ive used 279MB total this month with only 2 days left in the cycle. Thats a lot lower than I thought cause Im telling you Im on this thing constantly! Several hours a day whenever Ive got downtime. Browsing several forums mainly but also checking out NASCAR.com, Fox Sports, Fox News and the occasional Youtube video.

If I remember right, AT&T had a $15 plan for 200MB and $25 for 2GB. If this is the case, Id actually be saving $5 a month and still not even using 1/4 of what Im allowed. How the hell could you use more than 2GB a month? I suppose if you were running it 12-14 hours a day streaming HD video or something.

How could you use 2GB?!

This was nothing new.. we all knew it was coming... not that it is fair... and not that it becomes and anti-trust issue for price fixing amongst the largest monopolies... thats overlooked and not pursued by the justice department...

So what are we to do? Simple... when walmart rolls out their new services without contracts.. drop your smart phones.. and stick with unlimited talk/text... you dont need anything else for personal use...

If you are in the business world where your employer requires access to these things... WRITE THEM OFF YOUR TAXES!!!!! Even in my line of work, i need access to my unions web site.and i need the ability to be called in the event of a riot at the prison.. so i can write off my smart phone if i choose...

If you double check with your employer about whether you need a phone or not for them to get ahold of you.. you can probably also write off your cell phone bill each year... it sucks that you only get a percentage.. but it more than makes up for the data use...

I'm extremely happy with my $30/month prepaid plan from PagePlus that gives me 1200 minutes, 1200 texts, and 50mb of data. PagePlus uses the Verizon network and as far as I know the only Verizon phones you can't use with them are Verizon prepaids and BlackBerrys.

Personally I use a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone, the HTC Ozone, and it does more than I would ever need it to do (though a higher resolution screen would be ideal). I'd be happier with around 100mb, but most of the time staying under 50mb is easy. Of course I don't stream video using data, but use it for internet, e-mail, etc. I use WiFi at home and when available elsewhere. If I needed to go over the pay as you go rates that kick in aren't terrible.

Well this is the one thing that could stop me from coming back when my droid can be upgraded. They may be able to get away with this now but it is only a matter of time before one company breaks rank and a pricing war brings everything down. As more people start using mobile internet the outcry will become much louder.

I think that when 4g becomes more common that these phone companies may end up getting there payback for screwing around with people.

At first, I thought this was about internet landline plans getting tierded. Then I noticed people were talking about mobile phones.

I'm so glad I have my dumbphone. I appreciate that business can use mobile data, but as a consumer, I really have no interest in paying to do something that I would much prefer to do in the comfort of my home.

Back