Venting Steam...

Well, I went to the dark side, bought a new drive and downloaded XP64 (free, thank you MSDNAA!). The first thing I decide to do is install Steam and get some CS:S on, but that means downloading it at a whopping 3.6gb if I saw those numbers correctly. Now that wouldn't be so bad if it was downloading at full speed on my Internet (~400-500kb/s), but instead its going at a mere 5-30kb/s. I was under the impression that Steam was blazing fast! Is there some way to improve the speeds?

:mad:

the msdnaa thing is neat, too bad im not anywhere that uses it =\

yea it sucks dling all that stuff, dunno why its going so slow, it'll probaly speed up though~!

Would quitting/restarting steam help at all? Opening up some ports? Doesn't it use torrent technology to download stuff? Overall I'm pretty upset I just blew $60 and it's going to take me like a week to play anything :(

Iv never had steam download at my full internet connection, Iv always had about the same speeds as you, I just let it download overnight.

Arent you able to start playing while its downloading? At least thats what I do while CS 1.6 is downloading. Also what I would do is just leave it on overnight and it should be close to half way at least

Goran said:
Arent you able to start playing while its downloading? At least thats what I do while CS 1.6 is downloading. Also what I would do is just leave it on overnight and it should be close to half way at least

This is the initial install I think, it won't let me play while updating. It's at 4% now but the whole point is I was under the false assumption that they were providing fast pipes, but my guess now is that they arn't. I guess I'll just have to go and download enemy territory or something else to play while I'm waiting for this to download and do all my work on the the laptop.

*grumble* :mad:

Those speeds are normal.

I think they divide up the allotted bandwidth, so everyone gets the same speed and no one hurts anyone else's download. Regardless, Steam's a pretty cool concept, and I like how it downloads my updates and games.

Good luck!

Yeah I like the idea of Steam as a package manager, and the end content seems to be really fun. But I'm super jealous of my roommate who is playing these games now whereas I'm stuck downloading them and hes 15 feet away!

Mutter!

Eh, sometimes it does go fast, sometimes they don't. I think there was a recent CS update too? If so, the servers would be getting raped pretty bad.

Sometimes I've had it go at 400-500k, othertimes at 10. It depends on their network congestion. What I do it just backup steam using the option it gives. Saves me a lot of time and headaches.

No, but that wouldn't be a bad idea for people interested in lending bandwidth. . .

try deleting clientregistry.blob and making sure your internet speed is set in the steam settings

The only thing that raised download speeds was just waiting. I guess their servers were raped pretty bad because now its downloading ~ 200kb/s which is fine I guess. downloading the other 13gb or whatever it is data is going to be a real bitch though! :eek:

hokatichenci said:
Well, I went to the dark side, bought a new drive and downloaded XP64 (free, thank you MSDNAA!). The first thing I decide to do is install Steam and get some CS:S on, but that means downloading it at a whopping 3.6gb if I saw those numbers correctly. Now that wouldn't be so bad if it was downloading at full speed on my Internet (~400-500kb/s), but instead its going at a mere 5-30kb/s. I was under the impression that Steam was blazing fast! Is there some way to improve the speeds?
:mad:

Now pretend your hosting a LAN of 10 people who need to update steam... See my thread. Steaming up a connection at 10x the load, its sure to bring headaches and rants.

The idea of steam is good, but its far too much of a pain in my butt when it comes to playing. It would be nice if the steam program told you, that your version is out of date, and provided you with a Ftp/http link to download it whenever conveinent to you. No, steam has to update as if it was some life-saving emergency.

Real easy trick to avoid downloading:

Go to your equivalent of:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps

OR

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps

(The first if you installed Steam, the second if you installed it from the CD, IIRC)

and copy over all .GCF files the same folder on the other computer.

These are the compressed game packages that Steam uses.

your lucky when I had MSDNAA, hardly any of the software i downloaded work.

I downloaded windows XP 4 times and every copy had a bad file...Same with many other programs...

It sucks because I had 2 legal copies of Xp at that point and neiter would install so I went backed to my hacked copy...Grrr

Screw you MSDNAA! What a scam...

BTW I downloaded it from 3 different computers and multiple times...Ended up with a bunch of coasters! And if the downloading and burning wasen't enough wasted time I had to write a paper that night and spent hours installing these copies to jsut get a file missing error every time at the END of the install...I still have that junk and a valid serial number on my computer but the ISO does not work.

Pisses me off to this day.

In your Steam options, check to see that your internet is set to like LAN/T1/ or whatever the proper setting is.

L1ght said:
Iv never had steam download at my full internet connection, Iv always had about the same speeds as you, I just let it download overnight.
Same here

It hauls as for me most of the time. I usually get around 5000kbps from Steam on the rare occasions that I have to download the GCF files again.

Copy your roomates Steam install to your PC, launch it and enter in your login and pass and you will be all set. Make a shortcut to it if you want, but I just enable launch with Windows and don't worry about it.

Yeah, I ended up copying all the gcf files and it works great. Eventually it started downloading @ 200kb/s overnight which is I guess how it was able to finish by the time I woke up. It was horrible when I was getting 5kb/s download rate on my cable modem! Must have just been a freak incident... oh well, now I can get all the cs:s I need.

Back