Velociraptor temps are great!

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not sure what the point of the big old block of Aluminum is, at this point - possibly just to make sure the 2.5" drive fits in a 3.5" form factor? The top side of the drives, under very heavy use, are just warm to the touch. Much cooler than my old 150g or 74g raptors.

Anyone pull the heat sink off yet? Ended up doing business travel for a few days, so won't have the chance to open and photograph mine yet.

Chances are it wont fit in most laptops since the drive is bit thicker than standard 2.5in laptop drives.

if laptop hard drives continue the trend that they have had for years there will be variable drive heights and OEMs will make room for it. while it may not fit in YOUR laptop I'm certain that we will see some OEM put this drive in their machine. dell XPS maybe?

if laptop hard drives continue the trend that they have had for years there will be variable drive heights and OEMs will make room for it. while it may not fit in YOUR laptop I'm certain that we will see some OEM put this drive in their machine. dell XPS maybe?

I agree with that, but for now it cannot be done, if it could dont you think we would have seen a lot about this?

Vraptor is twice the height of a standard drive.
wdv08.jpg

I agree with that, but for now it cannot be done, if it could dont you think we would have seen a lot about this?

Vraptor is twice the height of a standard drive.
wdv08.jpg

I handle plenty of laptop hard drives daily that are twice and some times 3 times the height of the average drive... of course most of these drives are quite dated. This wouldn't be the first time the industry has seen larger than avg height drives. Again, these will be geared towards high end laptops due to the speed and likely battery use they would have due to higher rpms.

I handle plenty of laptop hard drives daily that are twice and some times 3 times the height of the average drive... of course most of these drives are quite dated. This wouldn't be the first time the industry has seen larger than avg height drives. Again, these will be geared towards high end laptops due to the speed and likely battery use they would have due to higher rpms.

Yea, but if you go grab your laptop and try to put it in there its not gonna fit. Im just warning people so that they dont run out and buy $300 dollar drive and take it apart, void the warranty only to find out that the drive wont fit in their hp, dell, mac laptop. I never said that they have never made or will not make laptops to handle drives of different size. But any off the shelf laptop at bestbuy, or from the major oem's currently dont have hard drive slots that will support this drive.

Nope.

I doubt if I will, because it voids the warranty.

WD has yet to respond to my warranty inquiry on this subject. Drives I received were OEM, with no statement on warranty in regards to removal of heatsink, nor could I find one online. Markings on drive only indicate removing stickers/tampering/opening drive cover will void warranty. Anyone get a definitive answer from WD themselves?

WD has yet to respond to my warranty inquiry on this subject. Drives I received were OEM, with no statement on warranty in regards to removal of heatsink, nor could I find one online. Markings on drive only indicate removing stickers/tampering/opening drive cover will void warranty. Anyone get a definitive answer from WD themselves?

How 'bout.....
Something else that needs to be pointed out is that Western Digital does not want the hard drive to be removed from the IcePAK. Removing the drive out of the IcePAK will VOID the 5-year warranty. For those that want to remove the four torx bit screws on the bottom, please keep this in mind. Western Digital said that the warranty voiding is because hardly any desktop cases accept 2.5" hard drives and they will likely be improperly mounted.

Now, Legit Reviews and everybody else may be lying to us, but I don't think so.

Markings on drive only indicate removing stickers/tampering/opening drive cover will void warranty

Well, my VR has three screws with free access, the fourth is covered by a sticker. Maybe it would be OK to remove the three screws and try to use a thin saw to cut the fourth srew?

About the claim that the VR would not get too hot: Did you notice the pads between the harddisk and the heat sink? Some sources quote 4°C more without the heat sink, but that will depend a lot on the environment. I doubt that installing it in a 15mm laptop bay will lead to an increase of only 4°C...

I had read the legit reviews review already, but once again, unless I get official statement from WD, I am not inclined to believe the claim that warranty will be voided. And since WD does not seem to want to go on record by responding to my inquiry, I have to wonder.

The 4 torx screws on the bottom of my icepaks are free of stickers, though the pads are another matter, as far as them even being able to tell you removed the drive.

I had read the legit reviews review already, but once again, unless I get official statement from WD, I am not inclined to believe the claim that warranty will be voided.

Yep, I just knew they're all lying to us! :rolleyes:

Haha, no, not lying... but I'm a grain of salt kind of guy, so I keep my options open until I see official statements... which I have just found. I suspect this will be in the mythical "retail kit" for the VR, but for now, I guess it is presumed by WD that we know to go and download the user/installation manual when we get our bare (retail kit advertised) drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/4079-705019.pdf

Page 1. Unpacking and Drive Handling

"*Important: The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor is
enclosed in a 3.5-inch mounting frame heat sink that
maintains drive temperature. Disassembling these
components will void the warranty."

Now if these reviews or posts would have just directed me to such an official statement in the first place, or if WD would have responded to my ticket, then I wouldn't have had to keep up my skepticism and hope for being able to remove the icepak w/o voiding my warranty.

Boo! Ah well...

Back