VelociRaptor...Broken? Help?

Sob Rogue

Limp Gawd
I read all over the internet that the velociraptor was surprisingly quiet. I'm not sure what this quiet level is suppose to be...but I just purchased one, and the seek and write sounds like a jackhammer. Idle is barely audible, but the second the HDD light turns on, I feel like there's a construction site outside my window. The noise overpowers 6 cheap..loud fans. The drive passes the HDD test, but doesn't sound right. I'm curious how this compares to other peoples and debating whether or not I need to return it for another.

Thanks,
Rogue

I read all over the internet that the velociraptor was surprisingly quiet. I'm not sure what this quiet level is suppose to be...but I just purchased one, and the seek and write sounds like a jackhammer. Idle is barely audible, but the second the HDD light turns on, I feel like there's a construction site outside my window. The noise overpowers 6 cheap..loud fans. The drive passes the HDD test, but doesn't sound right. I'm curious how this compares to other peoples and debating whether or not I need to return it for another.

Thanks,
Rogue

Absolutely defective. Jackhammer? Is it really loud? I have one and the vented front of my case means all the noise escapes. The VelociRaptor is whisper quiet in my opinion. A faint clicking, but nothing like my old 74 gig Raptors. You'll hear some sound along with that HDD light, but you shouldn't hear much, even in a quiet room.

noise is very subjective. other's definition of quite is actually pretty loud for me since all fans on my PC run below 800rpm. my velociraptors are the loudest thing in my case. do you have anything for comparison? for example, is it louder than a normal 7200rpm HD? if so, it should NOT be louder and it's probably defective.

Unmount it from the case after shutting down the computer and set it down on a foam pad or carpet (beware static!). Does it get signifigantly quieter or louder? Most hard drive noise is actualy the case amplifying hdd vibrations. Maybe your case is more susceptible to the ones the velociraptor produces.

I think Velociraptor's seek is pretty loud. Its louder than my two 640GB samsung F1 and WD Blue 500GB.

It's almost silent when idle, but the seek is loud, but certainly not "jackhammer" loud! Did you check the drive with Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics?

noise is very subjective. other's definition of quite is actually pretty loud for me since all fans on my PC run below 800rpm. my velociraptors are the loudest thing in my case. do you have anything for comparison? for example, is it louder than a normal 7200rpm HD? if so, it should NOT be louder and it's probably defective.

Way louder then a 7200rpm drive. I have a 500AAKS, 1TBBlack, and and old 160,SE16 in the same case. The Velociraptor on seek and write dilutes all those drives out.

Unmount it from the case after shutting down the computer and set it down on a foam pad or carpet (beware static!). Does it get signifigantly quieter or louder? Most hard drive noise is actualy the case amplifying hdd vibrations. Maybe your case is more susceptible to the ones the velociraptor produces.

This did not help. The drive still makes lots of noise.

It's almost silent when idle, but the seek is loud, but certainly not "jackhammer" loud! Did you check the drive with Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics?

The drive passes the LifeGuard Diagnostic...however the computer occasionally freezes now. The only change I made was the new HDD.

Despite the drive passing the diagnostic tests, I think I'm going to return it for another. This drive is much too loud imho.

i have one also and i have no complaints about noise from mine. if you are getting lock ups it is probably getting ready to bite the dust. send it back if you can and get new one. out of curiosity where did you buy it? newegg?

i have one also and i have no complaints about noise from mine. if you are getting lock ups it is probably getting ready to bite the dust. send it back if you can and get new one. out of curiosity where did you buy it? newegg?

I purchased this drive from MicroCenter.

Back