VelociRaptor 300GB available at Newegg!

LOL you need some paxil or something to chill out. RAID 0 has its benefits which is more than 10% when writing large files for video editing, like you stated. Im not just talking about loading for games, etc. I want to see benchmarks to backup what your saying, thats all. My point is if there is MINIMAL performance gain over RAID 0 Raptor 150s it doesnt justify going out and spending $300 for the same capacity/similar performance.
I agree, for write intensive applications or video editing, RAID 0 is significantly faster.
But if that's what you're doing, you'd be better served by getting several 320 GB platter drives and putting them in RAID 0 than just a couple of Raptors.

I'm fine, just kinda passionate about storage :p

So just to be clear here... I am not going to be running any kind of full boat testing or full on review here. I am primarily concerned with single user/app performance, so it is likely that what you will get out of me has this focus in mind, though if I can, I will try to get some large file copy type stuff in there.

Also, this testing will be on an Areca ARC-1222 raid controller. This of course will give different results than you might get out of an on-board Intel or nVidia controller.

Just want to set expectations that YMMV. :p

So just to be clear here... I am not going to be running any kind of full boat testing or full on review here. I am primarily concerned with single user/app performance, so it is likely that what you will get out of me has this focus in mind, though if I can, I will try to get some large file copy type stuff in there.

Also, this testing will be on an Areca ARC-1222 raid controller. This of course will give different results than you might get out of an on-board Intel or nVidia controller.

Just want to set expectations that YMMV. :p
That Areca looks pretty cool.
How does it compare to the Highpoint 3520?

Regarding 1 Velicoraptor VS 2x Raptor 150s:

I've currently got 2 Raptor 150s and am planning on throwing them in an ICH9R system in the next month or so. I'll be using a 20GB Raid 0 slice for Vista Ultimate, and using the rest of the space as a Mirror for storage of infrequently accessed items, such as Pictures, text documents, etc.

I'm highly doubting that 1 Velicoraptor is going to be faster than the Raid 0 slice, but I suppose I could be wrong. Is there any chance the Velicoraptor is faster than Sliced Raid 0?

Just picked one up. I hope this improves the "snappiness" of Vista, especially in development apps like visual studio.

I am disappointed that I haven't been able to find a review of the new vRaptor that addresses whether the system feels more responsive when using one of these bad boys.

I guess I will find out on saturday.

Comparing my HD Tune scores to the ones on anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3303

Anandtech VR300 scores (Single drive)
Minimum: 73.9/MBs
Max: 123.3/MBs
Avg: 102.0MBs
Access Time: 7ms
Burst Rate: 184.5MBs
CPU: 3.5%

My Raid0 Raptor 150s (2x Raptor150)
Minimum: 84.9MBs
Max:140.8MBs
Avg: 118.2MBs
Access Time: 8.3ms
Burst Rate: 103.9Mbx
CPU: 8.2%

Big difference in the burst rate but from my comparisons, to me, it doesnt pay to buy one velociraptor to replace 2 RAID0 raptor 150s. Very impressive for a single drive though. I guess ill wait until i save some cash to buy two of these.....Damn....between this and the new Nvidia/ATI cards soon to arrive i dont know what to do but gas is owning my wallet right now.

.Damn....between this and the new Nvidia/ATI cards soon to arrive i dont know what to do

HEh, go with the graphics card. These will only drop in price, and faster than the new nvidia monster.

Mine is on the way, but its coming from Kahleefohneeya. I was hoping NJ. :(

Nice looking hockey pucks you got there. :D

I'm still waiting for my four drives to show up. Hopefully I'll have them in my hot little hands by the middle of next week.

Nice Jason!

UPS is estimating delivery of mine tomorrow (30th).

I was thinking my wife would be at work.....she has just informed me, she took a vacation day tomorrow....:eek:

Uh-Oh! Could be trouble!

F*CK it, i got the email that newegg will be charging tax to NYS residents. That was enough for me to bite the bullet and order 2 of the VRs, itll be cheaper now than if i wait. F*CK NYS. I wrote david patterson a letter of disgust but i know it wont do jack but i had to vent:mad:

Just installed and running vista 64

and WOW :eek::eek::eek: Its so quiet just the noise level alone justify's the cost for me!!!!

Very happy customer !!! no more raptor noise!!! :D:D:D:D

F*CK it, i got the email that newegg will be charging tax to NYS residents. That was enough for me to bite the bullet and order 2 of the VRs, itll be cheaper now than if i wait. F*CK NYS. I wrote david patterson a letter of disgust but i know it wont do jack but i had to vent:mad:

Hmmm not a bad idea! I may do as well!

Nice Jason!

UPS is estimating delivery of mine tomorrow (30th).

I was thinking my wife would be at work.....she has just informed me, she took a vacation day tomorrow....:eek:

Uh-Oh! Could be trouble!

Did you get the three day shipping? Mine is scheduled for Monday. :mad:

Ninja: I'm in central Ohio, not all that far from you. :mad::mad:

Did you get the three day shipping? Mine is scheduled for Monday. :mad:

Ninja: I'm in central Ohio, not all that far from you. :mad::mad:

I just checked and mine has been rescheduled for Mon! All Right! My spouse will be working! :D

I'm also in Ohio.....Massillon/Canton area.

Got one on order, it already shipped and will be here on the 3rd (tues). Also ordered a 4Gb kit of pc800 ddr2 while I was at it I hear 6Gb of memory is a nice number on Vista 64, I guess I'll find out soon.

$%^$&%^ Lian-li... my new V1000Z case did not come with screws for the hard drive cage... can't mount my drives... may be a while before I get those benches guys, sorry to say.

$%^$&%^ Lian-li... my new V1000Z case did not come with screws for the hard drive cage... can't mount my drives... may be a while before I get those benches guys, sorry to say.

Bummer!

I'm still looking forward to the comparison. I'll just put my "patience cap" on and be good to go.

Sorry guys, I got the screws, installed the drives and OS. Have not gotten to the benches yet, and being busy with work, will likely not get them to you until Friday night. Stay tuned.

Here are my benches using HD TUNE. These things are no doubt FAST and QUIET!!

Abit ix38 Quad GT (intel x38 ICH9R)
Old benches (2x Raid 0 Raptor 150)
Minimum: 84.9MBs
Max:140.8MBs
Avg: 118.2MBs
Access Time: 8.3ms
Burst Rate: 103.9Mbx
CPU: 8.2%

Same Set up (2x Raid 0 300GB Velociraptor)
Minimum: 145.0MBs
Max: 197.0MBs
Avg: 170.7MBs
Access Time: 7.1ms
Burst: 167.8MBs
CPU: 9.7%

Just ordered 2 of these babies for Raid 0, hoping to get them before the weekend. Going to be swapping out some hard drives from my main and setting up a raid 5 for server computer and put the 2 velociraptors and a wd 640gb aaks in my main. I'm amazed at what an improvement they are over the raptor 150's

Thanks for the benchmarks. That is certainly a detectable gain!

EDIT! removed thread irrelevant questions.

Thanks for the benchmarks. That is certainly a detectable gain!

I have a couple of noob questions to you storage gurus. First, does Lightroom work qualify as Raid 0 worthy? I understand that video editing will benefit as you specify. Lightroom consists of two types of work: Reading hundreds of files pr. folder between 15 - 25MB and creating previews, that are then written to disk. The second type: Writing adjustments to disk on a pr. file basis. What and how much exactly is written to RAM and disk is beyond me, but its a lot of successive alterations, that my current machine really dislikes.. it chokes.

I also do rendering and compositing, compositing is analogous to video editing so I guess thats a yes, but rendering is mostly memory intensive as far as I understand..? Finally, how about working on 1GB+ files in Photoshop?

Is Raid 0 what I need with this kind of usage? Again, sorry for asking such noob questions, but I know nothing about Raid and intend to read up on it very soon, as I am about to hit the checkout button on newegg for two of these seemingly great drives.

Last thing. Is there any justification in buying an add on RAID controller card for me? I do not intend to use SAS, but plan on a hotswapable 5 TB array for backup *Im aware I need a different RAID config for this, but I do need those last drops of performance for my work. Your insights are much appreciated. Any good comprehensive links for RAID noobs are very welcome.

You should create a seperate thread for this as it really has nothing to do with the VelociRaptor, and also, you'll get more responses.

Damn you all! In for two. Looks like I'll have a bit more room on that main OS / app drive!

I feel your pain bruh. I'm in NYC myself and now that there's sales tax on etailers I'm less enthusiastic about upgrading anything. Wish there was more that we can do besides write a letter. :mad:

I feel your pain bruh. I'm in NYC myself and now that there's sales tax on etailers I'm less enthusiastic about upgrading anything. Wish there was more that we can do besides write a letter. :mad:

All we can do is bend down further and keep taking it by the man.

Ordered one at newegg today :) Excited after reading peoples reactions here! Sorry for the off topic post earlier btw...

Back