VelociRaptor 300GB available at Newegg!

Err... ahhh... I just bought 4 to put on my new Areca ARC-1222. :D

To RAID-10 or to RAID-0, that is the question. Thoughts? Doing RAID-1 of 1TB WD GPs for data save.

Thx for the heads up.

Yeah, I snapped 'em up at that price, since most other sites were listing up to around $330. Pleasantly surprised to see Newegg not go overboard this time.

did it show free shipping earlier?
it does now - might call in if you paid for it

ahh fuck, New Zealand suppliers (Synnex, Ingram Micro) web site still lists them as "Overdue". From their data base there's only going to be 100~ available for the whole of New Zealand too.

Still no luck here in Canada :(

My system needs a format and I've been waiting to get one of these first ... so tired of waiting. Baw

I really hope Micro Center gets these quickly now that they are in the channel, I have $300 in store credit there earmarked for this drive.

I heard there are issues with putting this in normal sized hard drive bay anyone have it confirm/denY?

I heard there are issues with putting this in normal sized hard drive bay anyone have it confirm/denY?

why would there be. for all intents and purposes, it's a normal sized drive. I wonder how one of these would compare to my 1TB RAID0 set up.

Err... ahhh... I just bought 4 to put on my new Areca ARC-1222. :D

To RAID-10 or to RAID-0, that is the question. Thoughts? Doing RAID-1 of 1TB WD GPs for data save.

Thx for the heads up.

Do RAID 0 for testing and post results, then do whatever your final setup will be!

No, the issue is that the Velociraptor does not conform to 3.5" SATA spec, and thus will not work with SATA hot-swap backplanes (the connectors do not line up). So, these will not work with most (all?) NAS products out there, and they will not work with some of Lian-li's new cases like the PC-V1000Z which have a SATA backplane.

I will be getting the V1000Z and Velociraptors, so I am going to see what I can do about possibly off-setting the backplane to make it work, but I don't have high hopes. I will probably just end up reversing the drives and using regular cables.

Well, since the raptors would be my OS drive (new system build), I'm not sure that I want to build it twice. Ideally anyway, you would test these as a non-OS drive.

Anyone remind me what the name is of the company that makes the imaging software? Not Norton Ghost, the other one? Maybe that would make things easier, been meaning to pick that program up, but keep forgetting the company.

Well, since the raptors would be my OS drive (new system build), I'm not sure that I want to build it twice. Ideally anyway, you would test these as a non-OS drive.

Anyone remind me what the name is of the company that makes the imaging software? Not Norton Ghost, the other one? Maybe that would make things easier, been meaning to pick that program up, but keep forgetting the company.

Acronis True Image?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Acronis trueimage? :confused:

No, the issue is that the Velociraptor does not conform to 3.5" SATA spec, and thus will not work with SATA hot-swap backplanes (the connectors do not line up). So, these will not work with most (all?) NAS products out there, and they will not work with some of Lian-li's new cases like the PC-V1000Z which have a SATA backplane.

I will be getting the V1000Z and Velociraptors, so I am going to see what I can do about possibly off-setting the backplane to make it work, but I don't have high hopes. I will probably just end up reversing the drives and using regular cables.
you might also consider the Scythe Quiet Drive

Hmm... V1000Z = not enough 5.25" drive bays (I'd need 4 just for the VR's... so technically it does, but...), and 3.2dB less not worth + 6C heat... may as well remove the Velociraptors from the icepaks and use a Q14SS to house them.

I saw the new velociraptor pop up on Newegg last night and I immediatly searched around hardocp and other websites to look for reviews. Ive been holding off buying parts for a new cpu to get this drive but I want to see some reviews of the drive first.

I understand that there are reviews of the drive from a while ago, but those were early models and not the finished product....
Anybody find any reviews of the "real" velociraptor?

Anand had an update to its review with newer firmware that fixed some performance issues, but to my knowledge, there has yet to be a retail version review.

Hmm... V1000Z = not enough 5.25" drive bays (I'd need 4 just for the VR's... so technically it does, but...), and 3.2dB less not worth + 6C heat... may as well remove the Velociraptors from the icepaks and use a Q14SS to house them.

oh, didn't know you were getting 4 of them
why not get the V1010 or something?

F*CK cant spend $600 now to replace my existing Raptor 150s!!! I still have 161GB free on my existing Raid array...WHERE ARE THE 150s!??!?!

'cus the V1000Z was already delivered to my door today. And I had ordered it before I realized that my intended HDD, the Velociraptor, would not work with the backplane.

Sanitarium (appropriate name? :p), why not $300 to replace two Raptor 150's? Am I wrong that the Velociraptor 300GB is going to be faster than your current raid-0 setup? Why does everyone want these as 150GB drives? IMO, the 300GB drives will be the lowest cost per GB, since you can't expect dropping one platter to equate to half the cost of the drive and icepack. Seriously, I can already imagine/foresee you guys screaming bloody murder once WD tells you that the VR 150GB will cost you $175-200 vs. the 300GB for $300.

'cus the V1000Z was already delivered to my door today. And I had ordered it before I realized that my intended HDD, the Velociraptor, would not work with the backplane.

Sanitarium (appropriate name? :p), why not $300 to replace two Raptor 150's? Am I wrong that the Velociraptor 300GB is going to be faster than your current raid-0 setup? Why does everyone want these as 150GB drives? IMO, the 300GB drives will be the lowest cost per GB, since you can't expect dropping one platter to equate to half the cost of the drive and icepack. Seriously, I can already imagine/foresee you guys screaming bloody murder once WD tells you that the VR 150GB will cost you $175-200 vs. the 300GB for $300.

If anything one VR300 is going to be the same or a little slower than my RAID0 Raptor 150s so it would be pointless.

If anything one VR300 is going to be the same or a little slower than my RAID0 Raptor 150s so it would be pointless.
Wrong. Your 2 x 150 GB Raptor RAID 0 is about 10% faster than a single drive.
A single VelociRaptor is 30% faster than a single 150 GB Raptor.

Wrong. Your 2 x 150 GB Raptor RAID 0 is about 10% faster than a single drive.
A single VelociRapter is 30% faster than a single 150 GB Raptor.

RAID 0 raptors are more than 10% faster than a single raptor 150 drive. Until we have benches showing a VR300 vs Raid0 150s your talking out of your ass

RAID 0 raptors are more than 10% faster than a single raptor 150 drive. Until we have benches showing a VR300 vs Raid0 150s your talking out of your ass
RAID 0 only provides performance benefits in very specific scenarios such as write starved applications or when manipulating large files (eg. video editing).
Application and game load times will be largely unaffected.
Don't accuse me of talking out of my ass, unless you have some evidence to back up your bullshit.

Why does everyone want these as 150GB drives? IMO, the 300GB drives will be the lowest cost per GB, since you can't expect dropping one platter to equate to half the cost of the drive and icepack.
Because I only need @ 35GB for my OS and programs, and that's all this drive is used for?

We're talking Raptors here and low $/GB is not on the radar as a consideration.

I'd much rather pay $200 for a 150GB unit, rather than leave 1/2 to 2/3 of the 300GB go to waste.

RAID 0 only provide performance benefits in very specific scenarous such as write starved applications or when manipulating large files such as video editing.
Application and game load times will be largely unaffected.
Don't accuse me of talking out of my ass, unless you have some evidence to back up your bullshit.

LOL you are talking out of your ass! Where is your proof that a single VR300 is faster than Raid 0 Raptor 150s? Until i see proof that there would be a big benefit of upgrading to a single raptor 300 it wouldnt make sense for a single VR300 replacing existing Raid0 Raptor 150 arrays. What bullshit do i need to back up lol i just stated facts

Well, I have my trusty old 2x Raptor 150's, and the Velociraptor's coming Friday. So, hopefully, I can provide you guys with some direct comparison benchmarking this weekend. :D

I'll call 1x VR300 beating 2x R150 right now, but I know, I know... pie charts or it didn't happen.

Well, I have my trusty old 2x Raptor 150's, and the Velociraptor's coming Friday. So, hopefully, I can provide you guys with some direct comparison benchmarking this weekend. :D

I'll call 1x VR300 beating 2x R150 right now, but I know, I know... pie charts or it didn't happen.

Thanks, very interested to see how it does. It will probably beat it in most tests but my point is if its minimal it really doesnt justify spending $300 for a single drive the same size as the existing raptor RAID

LOL you are talking out of your ass! Where is your proof that a single VR300 is faster than Raid 0 Raptor 150s? Until i see proof that there would be a big benefit of upgrading to a single raptor 300 it wouldnt make sense for a single VR300 replacing existing Raid0 Raptor 150 arrays. What bullshit do i need to back up lol i just stated facts
You claimed your 2 Raptors in RAID 0 are more than 10% faster than a single Raptor. They are not.
You are not stating facts, you're stating your opinion which is based on all the RAID 0 hype and nothing else.
There are dozens of articles showing the limited benefits of RAID 0, do some research and educate yourself so you don't look like such a fool.
I'm not going to waste my time correcting you. If you want to go on thinking your RAID 0 is twice as fast as a single drive or whatever the hell you think, go right ahead, I couldn't care less.
But for anyone else who is wondering the same thing, I urge you to look at the actual benefits of RAID 0 and youi'll see they are very limited.
Most people would be better served with a VelociRaptor, which is around 30% faster than a single WD1500ADFD.

This exact same idea came up with the ADFD Raptors came out and people were saying
Twice the price of a 74GB? For that much money I could get 2 WD740GDs and RAID them for much better performance!!

It's bullshit, pure and simple
http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=21621&view=findpost&p=221874
Keep in mind the performance increase from the ADFD Raptors to the VelociRaptor is even greater than the increase from the GD to ADFD Raptors was.

COOL! I'll be looking forward to it!

If ya need an "Official Observer", I'll come over with some beer and......:D

You claimed your 2 Raptors in RAID 0 are more than 10% faster than a single Raptor. They are not.
You are not stating facts, you're stating your opinion which is based on all the RAID 0 hype and nothing else.
There are dozens of articles showing the limited benefits of RAID 0, do some research and educate yourself so you don't look like such a fool.
I'm not going to waste my time correcting you. If you want to go on thinking your RAID 0 is twice as fast as a single drive or whatever the hell you think, go right ahead, I couldn't care less.
But for anyone else who is wondering the same thing, I urge you to look at the actual benefits of RAID 0 and youi'll see they are very limited.
Most people would be better served with a VelociRapter, which is around 30% faster than a single WD1500ADFD.

LOL you need some paxil or something to chill out. RAID 0 has its benefits which is more than 10% when writing large files for video editing, like you stated. Im not just talking about loading for games, etc. I want to see benchmarks to backup what your saying, thats all. My point is if there is MINIMAL performance gain over RAID 0 Raptor 150s it doesnt justify going out and spending $300 for the same capacity/similar performance.

Back