Vega's Heavyweight display and computer; edition 2012

On the subject of showing firearms....my old, old bedroom setup just after I finished college.. I know its an old pic cause there were no handcuffs on the headboard ;)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/?action=view&current=IMG_30971.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/l88bastard/102320073481.jpg

Killer teddy bear!

Here is my proposed simple cooling system. Let me know if you guys can see any way to make it more efficient.

Kepler.jpg

Here I have started the Geo-thermal drilling. This is the top 3 feet (17 feet underground). I've drilled near the home slab foundation and in a year-round shaded area to maximize Earth temperature stability. So far it looks like the ground water level is 5-6 feet below the surface which is GREAT. Finally a positive about living in the South. :eek:

SANY00022-1.jpg

Wow - I actually have been wondering what it would take to use geothermal cooling on a hot PC.

How deep do you think you will need to go?

the geothermal cooling is pretty damn ambitious. the whole setup is ambitious.

Last edited:
Woops, I just realized I placed the RAM slots like X79 and not Z77. Actually, Z77 will even be easier to set up the cooling loops.

You and your crazyness Vega. Bet this will be a bit lighter on the power bill then the a/c compresor setup :). Can't wait to see this as my server rack is in my basment with easy acess to outside. Thought you were going with 6 gig 7970's.

You and your crazyness Vega. Bet this will be a bit lighter on the power bill then the a/c compresor setup :). Can't wait to see this as my server rack is in my basment with easy acess to outside. Thought you were going with 6 gig 7970's.

Only nVidia can do 3x FW900 analog signals. SLI is much better designed in where you connect a monitor to each individual card, versus AMD they all have to be connected to card #1. ;) Not to mention I think Kepler will be faster. I just hope nVidia doesn't screw it up with low VRAM quantity.

I still say you need to go with projectors. I have my gamming rig in my rack now hooked up to my 1080p dlp in my theater. I really happy with my dlp a lot less input lag then my dell 3007hc really didn't realize how bad it was till I gamed on my projector. Also gamming on a 120 inch screen is a lot of fun :)

I still say you need to go with projectors. I have my gamming rig in my rack now hooked up to my 1080p dlp in my theater. I really happy with my dlp a lot less input lag then my dell 3007hc really didn't realize how bad it was till I gamed on my projector. Also gamming on a 120 inch screen is a lot of fun :)

I took the whole projector thing farther then humanly possible (with multiple DLP projectors and edge blending software) and they cannot compete with vegas proposed build. Check out the ten second mark in this video to see the scale of my colossal double 1080p projector 4'x12' curved Herculean screen setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfvK9f9eMI

The projectors were limited to 60hz refresh rates and inferior motion control versus Vegas CRTs. However, the size was really BIGGEM!

Last edited:
Man thats just sexy :) Where you running 3 projectors? I know the CRT's are sexy I would still be using mine if it hadn't died on me..I so miss the sony 24inch crt. I'm sure it's going to be nice It's a Vega build lol.

Ya, projectors are a no-go like I88 said for many many reasons. I've looked into it thoroughly.

For those interested in the Fesnel display setup: whenever you add a lens, some degradation will occur. Although, during my proof-of-concept testing, I've found the trade-offs well worth it. You will get a slight decrease in image clarity with regard to slight chromatic abberations and on bright scenes seeing some of the circular grooves cut in the lens. But you gain magnification and the ability to eliminate bezels. It has actually done quite well in my testing and allowed me to go into full project mode.

Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TrhGiVl1RNs#t=337s

Now if he were to position the camera exactly where his eyesight was, there would be virtually zero gap between the images as you can see in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnNM-N_1ve8

If done properly, the gap between images will be 1mm or less.

Got a few components in:

SANY0005-10.jpg

XSPC Raystorm full copper CPU block. Looks and feels like an awesome piece. Watercool MO-RA3 Pro radiator with 9x 140mm XSPC fans for my ambient loop section. This thing is built like a tank and has traditional German quality.

I've gone with EVGA Ultra Classified 580's until Kepler releases. Who know's, I might even be able to use EVGA's 90-day step up program on Kepler. I've always liked EVGA in the nVidia camp. Also tossed in there a Bitspower reservoir for my silver kill coils, fluid level viewing and fluid access port. I plan to run distilled water with silver kill coils, IandH Dead-Water Copper Sulfate and Water Wetter.

Been looking at getting one of those Watercool MO-RA3 Pro radiator's to mount in my rack. Can't wait to see how well it works. Really wanted some feed back on one before I ordered one. What Res are you going to be running the CRTs at ?

I want to be like you someday.
Awesome stuff as usual!

Thanks.

Been looking at getting one of those Watercool MO-RA3 Pro radiator's to mount in my rack. Can't wait to see how well it works. Really wanted some feed back on one before I ordered one. What Res are you going to be running the CRTs at ?

If this baby cools as well as it's built, I think I'll be more than happy. Granted I will really only use it when it's cool in the winter to heat the house. Then today I just realized if my Geo-thermal loop does really well with that 11-14 C water, I could amend my loop setup to run the cool water through the radiator and my computer during the summer to help the HVAC system cool the air at the same time I'm cooling my computer. I'm going Eco-Chique!

The great thing bout the CRT setup is that I can run many different resolutions and refresh rates and it would still look great.

I just tested the FW900 and it can run 2560x1600 @ 78 Hz. So some possible configurations:

4800x2560 @ 78Hz
4320x2304 @ 85Hz
3600x1920 @ 100Hz
3000x1600 @ 115Hz
1800x800 @ 140Hz
1440x640 @ 160Hz

For some reason the nVidia driver's lets me go a lot higher refresh rates than AMD, even with custom resolutions set. AMD will only let my FW900 do 2304x1440@80Hz. If I set it to 81Hz, the monitor gives the standard "Out of scan range" message. If I set 2304x1440@90Hz in nVidia, it actually works and I don't get the out of scan range message. I thought that "out of scan range message" was delivered by the FW900's circuitry. So I am not sure how I am getting refresh rates way above the specs of the monitor. Another example is I can get 107Hz at 1920x1200, when with AMD the max is 96Hz and the default Sony driver is 85Hz.

I know higher Hz will wear the monitors faster, but I think it's up in the air if it's a small percentage or a significant reduction of life. I'd hate to ruin my 3x expensive A+ calibrated Vito FW900's, so maybe I will find a nice middle ground. But like I said, I am scratching my head as to why the FW900 can run such high refresh rates with nVidia custom resolutions.

Last edited:
I think 3600x1920 @ 100 would be a sweet spot. I use to run mine at 1920x1200 @ 100hz if I remeber right. Been a few years now though.

I think 3600x1920 @ 100 would be a sweet spot. I use to run mine at 1920x1200 @ 100hz if I remeber right. Been a few years now though.

I agree, that will be a very nice resolution/refresh combo for gaming. Although I am using 2560x1600 right now at 78Hz and it is looking pretty sweet lol.

On another note, I just finished my custom reinforced 7 foot stainless steel desk to hold my monster display setup. I stood on this right in the middle on one of my feet (180lb) and it didn't even flex a hair.

SANY0006-8.jpg

Welding stainless steel is harder than you think! (just kidding). Time for the old glass desk to go!

Also, might wanna reinforce your floor while your at it :) Dont wanna go crashing through your floor now.

its amazing of what you can do with imagination. sweet setup. youve mentioned about the fresnel lens, are you going to use them?

what's the drill bit by the soda can for?

I'm guessing it was to core drill outside, but you mention the CRT's at some point and how they might break.

Got a few components in:

SANY0005-10.jpg

XSPC Raystorm full copper CPU block. Looks and feels like an awesome piece. Watercool MO-RA3 Pro radiator with 9x 140mm XSPC fans for my ambient loop section. This thing is built like a tank and has traditional German quality.

I've gone with EVGA Ultra Classified 580's until Kepler releases. Who know's, I might even be able to use EVGA's 90-day step up program on Kepler. I've always liked EVGA in the nVidia camp. Also tossed in there a Bitspower reservoir for my silver kill coils, fluid level viewing and fluid access port. I plan to run distilled water with silver kill coils, IandH Dead-Water Copper Sulfate and Water Wetter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

its amazing of what you can do with imagination. sweet setup. youve mentioned about the fresnel lens, are you going to use them?

Yes.

what's the drill bit by the soda can for?

I'm guessing it was to core drill outside, but you mention the CRT's at some point and how they might break.

Yup, for drilling the cores for the Geo-thermal cooling. I was just goofing around when I related them to the FW900's. ;)

Does anyone have experience working with any of these materials: acrylic, polycarbonate, CR-39 or polyurethane? I have contacted my Fresnel lens manufacturer to see if he could tell me what material they are. I am interested in trimming them to fit my display setup perfectly. Curious if the "score and snap" method would work or is cutting involved.

I could dig up my old 19" lens and try it.

I only use it to start fires and get into trouble.

Would love to know what kind of company you had to contact to get the stainless steel desk.

A commercial kitchen contractor?

Do you mind giving us a ballpark of what it cost? (I would guess 2500ish for the surface) I've been wanting a SS desk forever...

Thanks

Does anyone have experience working with any of these materials: acrylic, polycarbonate, CR-39 or polyurethane? I have contacted my Fresnel lens manufacturer to see if he could tell me what material they are. I am interested in trimming them to fit my display setup perfectly. Curious if the "score and snap" method would work or is cutting involved.

Acrylic (cast) is east to snap after a few scores w/a box cutter, we do it all the time to get larger sheets small enough to fit on our laser cutters. Wouldn't want to rely on that for any kind of precision though.

I could dig up my old 19" lens and try it.

I only use it to start fires and get into trouble.

I have a cheaper Fresnel that I think I will use to practice on rather than return it.

Would love to know what kind of company you had to contact to get the stainless steel desk.

A commercial kitchen contractor?

Do you mind giving us a ballpark of what it cost? (I would guess 2500ish for the surface) I've been wanting a SS desk forever...

Thanks

http://www.advancetabco.com/?reloaded=true

Really high quality and USA made. It really isn't that expensive, cost me $800. The whole desk around $1000 and this thing will last a lifetime. It has exceeded my expectations in both looks and strength.

SANY0008-6.jpg

So thats what a naked CRT looks like lol, see your running it with BNC. That desk is really sexy. 800 really isn't bad at all for that nice of a desk.

Back