Vega Rumors

If you mean beyond adding ACEs, hardware scheduling, scalar like behavior with the INT pipeline, and the memory model I suppose you could be right. Just think, Paxwell was so successful Nvidia decided to wholesale abandon the architecture for Volta. It was simply that amazing!
Ah, the fanboy is revealed! Paxwell? evolution is abandoning architecture? WTH? NVIDIA innovates and changes course all the time, Fermi to Kepler to Maxwell to Pascal. And it pays off, unlike AMD who got stuck with GCN for far too long, now they are left with a cadaver of a power hungry water cooled nuclear mess!

Namecalling is not allowed. -Oldie

Last edited by a moderator:
This rumor thread needs more pics and less arguing!

Here's mine:

AMD Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Limited Edition
Gigabyte Ultimate Gaming G1 X99
I7 6850K - @4.3Ghz - cooled by 360mm Deep Cool Captain
G-Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
Corsair 1000x power supply
Thermaltake P3 case
img_0590-jpg.34975

Here's mine:

Thermaltake P3 case
img_0590-jpg.34975

It's like staring at the sun. It's beautiful but it kind of burns.

Nice and clean.

So for rumors what do we have left? Still some chance of miracle drivers or is that completely debunked by now?

It's like staring at the sun. It's beautiful but it kind of burns.

Nice and clean.

So for rumors what do we have left? Still some chance of miracle drivers or is that completely debunked by now?

:) miracle driver - no probably not....
--- slow, continuous, modest improvements over the next few years --- for sure!

Here's mine:

Thermaltake P3 case
img_0590-jpg.34975

What case is that? open top and bottom or enclosed? Edit: Oh you stated P3 cool!

Looks good btw!

What case is that? open top and bottom or enclosed?

Looks good btw!

Thermaltake P3

Open top and bottom, and side if you want. It's a case that can pretty much be anything you want it to be....(except enclosed) :)

Tweaktown gave it a 100% and said it was the best case they'd ever reviewed.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7794/thermaltake-core-p3-atx-wall-mount-chassis-review/index.html

Bonus, it only cost $75 at newegg right now (after rebate --- for the next four hours anyway)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3&cm_re=Thermaltake_p3-_-11-133-313-_-Product

Thermaltake P3

Open top and bottom, and side if you want. It's a case that can pretty much be anything you want it to be....(except enclosed) :)

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7794/thermaltake-core-p3-atx-wall-mount-chassis-review/index.html

Bonus, it only cost $75 at newegg.

nice price, cool, been looking for a new case, using a cm scout right now, kinda sick of the black box thing lol.

Thermaltake P3

Bonus, it only cost $75 at newegg right now (after rebate --- for the next four hours anyway)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3&cm_re=Thermaltake_p3-_-11-133-313-_-Product
I have that case coming for mining rig, it may be used for another project if that doesn't work out. Great price!

I would ask want constitutes a failure in regards to Vega. I think it is a failure as far as market viability goes. It costs too and much too late. Calling something a failure is hard as it is going to be different for everyone, but I think there was a general perception that Vega was going to be AMD answer to top of the line Pascal and it can go toe to toe with a GTX 1080, but it makes massive sacrifices in heat and efficiency to do it. At this point, it seems like the only people who are likely to buy it, outside of miners, is AMD diehards who won't buy NVIDIA for whatever reason. As far as defaming anyone goes there has been a back and forth between downright delusional assertions and others, myself included, probably enjoying the show too much.

lol, you're assuming too much. Bought Vega 64 LC - also bought 1080 Ti and own some 1070's. hmmm mining - I might test it out there but that is not what I bought it for, well at least at first. The 1080 Ti is a mining beast! I would be very surprised if Vega 64 is better but one can hope. Besides, mining looks like it is shifting to Nvidia cards mostly due to how efficient they are and they do produce good hash rates.

Here's mine:

Thermaltake P3 case
img_0590-jpg.34975

I would be careful with that DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 360EX.

It is known to leak

I have that case coming for mining rig, it may be used for another project if that doesn't work out. Great price!

lol, you're assuming too much. Bought Vega 64 LC - also bought 1080 Ti and own some 1070's. hmmm mining - I might test it out there but that is not what I bought it for, well at least at first. The 1080 Ti is a mining beast! I would be very surprised if Vega 64 is better but one can hope. Besides, mining looks like it is shifting to Nvidia cards mostly due to how efficient they are and they do produce good hash rates.
What exactly am i assuming?

What exactly am i assuming?
"At this point, it seems like the only people who are likely to buy it, outside of miners, is AMD diehards who won't buy NVIDIA for whatever reason."

You did write that didn't you? Anyways the Vega 56 I would think most who did any research would conclude it is better than the 1070. Not all but it does indeed have better performance and looks to be more forward looking in the end.

"At this point, it seems like the only people who are likely to buy it, outside of miners, is AMD diehards who won't buy NVIDIA for whatever reason."

You did write that didn't you? Anyways the Vega 56 I would think most who did any research would conclude it is better than the 1070. Not all but it does indeed have better performance and looks to be more forward looking in the end.
I think that is an assumption, but we won't be able to know for certain till prices settle to a point where we can deduce what the actual price difference between the two are. I still believe DX12 and Vulkan are long way off from becoming the more popular API to see games on and NVIDIA owns DX11 and OpenGL performance.

you didn't give any data point, only stated a baseless conclusion.

So what you are saying is that even though 1/4 of its reviews on Newegg talks about it leaking, you don't think that's not a big enough sample?

Or are you saying that there's a sampling bias because those who experience leaks are more likely to write reviews?

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that even though 1/4 of its reviews on Newegg talks about it leaking, you don't think that's not a big enough sample?

Or are you saying that there's a sampling bias because those who experience leaks are more likely to write reviews?
Still no data points/graphs/facts just anecdotal. I have no stake nor opinion or any knowledge of this cooler, but reviews on ANY site need to be taken with a grain of salt. I always look at the 5 star and then the 1 star reviews to see if there is a trend or typical issue, however it doesn't mean it actually has the issues or the great performance either.

Still no data points/graphs/facts just anecdotal. I have no stake nor opinion or any knowledge of this cooler, but reviews on ANY site need to be taken with a grain of salt. I always look at the 5 star and then the 1 star reviews to see if there is a trend or typical issue, however it doesn't mean it actually has the issues or the great performance either.

Reports of catastrophic failures that can take out multiple components don't need to have statistical significance in my book.

I actually don't know anywhere that arguement would work for failures at 25%...

Reports of catastrophic failures that can take out multiple components don't need to have statistical significance in my book.

I actually don't know anywhere that arguement would work for failures at 25%...
Well the point is he didn't link anything for backup or support of his assertion. And honestly some reviews the poster is obviously a bit shy of the expertise needed for even turning a screw. I am not making any claim here only pointing out he has not linked any proof and gauging his other post here I don't deem him reliable for factual information.

Well the point is he didn't link anything for backup or support of his assertion. And honestly some reviews the poster is obviously a bit shy of the expertise needed for even turning a screw. I am not making any claim here only pointing out he has not linked any proof and gauging his other post here I don't deem him reliable for factual information.

True.

This are these thing called search engines.

Anyhow after the long diversion back on topic. I recently read a vega rumor on either the twitter or WCCFTECH or Videocarzor whatever that there will be a driver release in 2018 that enables Vega to do Vega like things. Yeah, this thread has probably run its course.

Anyhow after the long diversion back on topic. I recently read a vega rumor on either the twitter or WCCFTECH or Videocarzor whatever that there will be a driver release in 2018 that enables Vega to do Vega like things. Yeah, this thread has probably run its course.

You can't say it's run it's course in the sentence after you give us a new rumor in the Vega rumor thread!! Volta Titan killer incoming with new drivers!

This thread jumped the shark looooong ago.

There will be driver updates which improve things and enable features. The reality of how much that matters is a huge wildcard.

On one side, you have an individual implying there is an aggregate +85% performance just waiting to be unlocked. I think that's just a level of optimism far in excess of what even the most starry-eyed newbie marketer at AMD could muster. Saying it could hit 5-20% overall is probably more realistic, with titles release or in development now hitting the lower end and new titles from superstars like iD hitting the higher end.

I don't care if someone is happy living in a world of optimism, but I do get a little concerned that might encourage people to buy something which is actually pretty unlikely to pan out (to put it mildly). As we always say - don't preorder, right?
Same thing here. Don't buy a dream of what could possibly be. Buy what actually exists and works at the time of purchase. Ironically the person mentioned above describes people being stupid and buying into forum marketing. I'll agree with that statement - don't do that! Don't buy based upon what someone posts. Buy based upon what people like Kyle actually measure.

If you're leaning AMD but will only buy it if it reaches a certain performance, wait it out. See if it really hits that level. Then buy, or don't. Be a shrewd consumer.

Most haters are those through intropection determine outlieing forces are the blame for their consternation., Outlieing, is that the way you spell it? Spell chezck, Kyle, Bueller?

It looks like you need a break from the forum, name calling isn't allowed.
Do you understand how statistics works?

You have to have a large number of data points to be able to make a conclusion.

Apparently you don't understand someone making a statement, rather than being a dick, go back to googling shit.

I would ask want constitutes a failure in regards to Vega. I think it is a failure as far as market viability goes. It costs too and much too late. Calling something a failure is hard as it is going to be different for everyone, but I think there was a general perception that Vega was going to be AMD answer to top of the line Pascal and it can go toe to toe with a GTX 1080, but it makes massive sacrifices in heat and efficiency to do it. At this point, it seems like the only people who are likely to buy it, outside of miners, is AMD diehards who won't buy NVIDIA for whatever reason. As far as defaming anyone goes there has been a back and forth between downright delusional assertions and others, myself included, probably enjoying the show too much.
Do we have any evidence it does cost too much beyond rumors? Even with a higher BoM, that's offset by lower development costs. We've already seen Vega56 matching up to 1080 and anything above that (30% from DICE with RPM) will obviously push it above. The higher margin server products are getting used as well and we haven't seen APUs yet. APU alone will drive significant share as Ryzen seems well accepted.

Buy what actually exists and works at the time of purchase. Ironically the person mentioned above describes people being stupid and buying into forum marketing. I'll agree with that statement - don't do that! Don't buy based upon what someone posts. Buy based upon what people like Kyle actually measure.
Couldn't agree more. We've seen Vega56 against 1080 and what just RPM provides. Don't even need to account for the rest of the features AMD has said aren't enabled.

On one side, you have an individual implying there is an aggregate +85% performance just waiting to be unlocked. I think that's just a level of optimism far in excess of what even the most starry-eyed newbie marketer at AMD could muster. Saying it could hit 5-20% overall is probably more realistic, with titles release or in development now hitting the lower end and new titles from superstars like iD hitting the higher end.
Not the first time that would have happened though. Just look at 780ti. It's known DICE managed about 30% with RPM. All those other features in aggregate will do something and even 85% isn't required. Part of that already happened from when FE released with higher clocks and better cooling.

I'm not sure AMD actually has any marketers. Every AMD thread is largely people talking about Nvidia and trolling. Just look at the size of the AMD and Nvidia threads on this forum. Interest in products seems reversed from current share.

Not how it works. The one making the claim has to back up their own assertions.

When I said "1/4 of its reviews on Newegg", that is being specific.

I didn't post the link, but I figure the folks here can handle that.

Last edited:
More delusional talk.

Not really he is right, look at the size of some of the topics there really large and sometimes the only thing that tends to be on topic if it is on topic is the 1st post the rest derails so fast and these threads are only on the AMD videocard forum not in the Nvidia section ....

Not really he is right, look at the size of some of the topics there really large and sometimes the only thing that tends to be on topic if it is on topic is the 1st post the rest derails so fast and these threads are only on the AMD videocard forum not in the Nvidia section ....

Check out the Volta thread in the nVidia forum. It's discussing AMD GCN.

LOL him right, come on, I have linked enough articles and proof to show what he stated in the last 100 (can go back to early last year, every single post he made about GCN, polaris, and vega pretty bad track record) posts he has done is utter nonsense.

No fine wine with Vega, its severely bandwidth limited.

Even if "all those features" were not "functional" which is pretty much BS, still have the bandwidth limitations to get around. Vega is badly bandwidth limited.

As I said and showed videos how chips are designed and how drivers are done and ready to go before tape out. All functionality is ready to go when the chip comes back. So unless there is a problem in the silicon which there shouldn't be cause they have already emulated the silicon........ Something isn't adding up right? I don't think they activated some of the features because there are negative aspects to them, like increased power draw or dropping performance without special application/ driver needs. Something has to be detrimental enough to not enable them all the time.

Last edited:
Back