Vega Rumors

How much will 8GB of HBM2 save on power over 16GB? Any idea?
If I had to guess maybe 15W? It's the interface and transmission that can burn a lot of energy on memory systems and that won't change.

I wonder if the 4GB (2x) stacks will be at full speed for the fastest gaming card?
Speculating here, but I think the speed might be a result of Infinity Fabric clock dividers like Ryzen. 800MHz/1600MHz memory and core respectively. Or 600/1200. That simplifies the memory subsystem, but requires the even clock multiples.

If I had to guess maybe 15W? It's the interface and transmission that can burn a lot of energy on memory systems and that won't change.

Speculating here, but I think the speed might be a result of Infinity Fabric clock dividers like Ryzen. 800MHz/1600MHz memory and core respectively. Or 600/1200. That simplifies the memory subsystem, but requires the even clock multiples.
Infinity fabric on Ryzen isn't tied to core clocks, just memory.

Once again. They bullshit so much. I absolutely can not believe how obvious their articles are. They do very deceptive reporting. Title Vega competitive with 1080, and when you read the article his source said it will be faster then 1080. Title was all about getting fanboys go at one another lol. And then rest if the article everything rehashed from previously what we already know about Vega. It's fun going there and he knows it too, it's like Trump knows he will get hits even if he says something outrageous and without any facts. This site gets hit regardless of him having facts or not and they know it very well.

I cant say I don't admire their way of getting hits and making money. It works! lol

Last edited:
Infinity fabric on Ryzen isn't tied to core clocks, just memory.
True, but it would simplify the design. The wide IO of HBM is more like a cache than external memory. If they knew certain domains were multiples they could be some hardware and keep latencies fixed.

Someone just pre-ordered Radeon Vega Frontier Edition (liquid cooled model)

We should ask him/her for benchmarks

So it's confirmed to not launch this month?

Are we still expecting official spec before the end of the month?

It's US, if there's one thing i know about US is that there will always be a man filing a lawsuit for anything.

And it just so happens AMD promised investors an 1H availability :p

but but there is a version of vega launching in 1h. Called Vega frontier edition lol. They said Vega will launch in 1st half which technically it did. So lawsuit is out the window already.

Amazon says in stock july 23rd.
I'd avoid Amazon for PC hardware pre-orders after it took them 3-4 weeks longer (if not more) to get their first batch of pre-ordered RX480's out than Newegg.

Also, that's some other vendor selling through Amazon if I'm looking at the listing correctly.

Vega isn't even easy to find on Amazon or Newegg... seaching AMD Vega on either comes back with rubbish. How did these people find it?

Really? Cuz they think so? Expected ship date? No retailer is going to guarantee a ship date if they don't have them until june 27th or day before. Its available on 27th, People have already ordered it and neweggs initial inventory is already exhausted. So stop holding on to this dream lawsuit. Really you are going to link pc perspective in court? lol. This is ridiculous. So if you could order one on june 27th and you didn't get it until the 1st or the 3rd in your hand I guess you could call it second half lol.

Really? Cuz they think so? Expected ship date? No retailer is going to guarantee a ship date if they don't have them until june 27th or day before.
And that particular date is based off of what? No, seriously. I have seen July 3rd even before the pcper's article, no information on that 27th June date of yours. Except maybe AMD's claim but fairly certain they limited themselves to "late June" in their statements.

And that particular date is based off of what? No, seriously. I have seen July 3rd even before the pcper's article, no information on that 27th June date of yours. Except maybe AMD's claim but fairly certain they limited themselves to "late June" in their statements.

Are you serious? AMD said June 27th straight out as availability date it will be on shelf since their analyst day and even on . May be you are choosing not to look? this is straight off google, "Vega Fe Launch date"

Jeez I wonder what the top 4 links say. No info on the 27th date of mine? SMH

upload_2017-6-23_17-42-17.png

Yeah, i was, indeed, they mentioned June 27th, i am wrong, always remembered it like end of June.

maybe you're confusing it with when they are expected to be shipping ? it was always june 27th launch date, im just unsure what launch date means these days

Yeah, i was, indeed, they mentioned June 27th, i am wrong, always remembered it like end of June.

no worries. They kinda dragged their feet with it. First talked about it without giving a date and then gave the date at analyst day. Thats the day they said they are announcing it and it will be available starting june 27th. So they gave it almost a month time to availability. Yea give or take a few days until people get it in their hands but given that newegg and amazon sold out of the preorders I think people should have them soon.

I still am scratching my head though people are grabbing these for what again? IDK i think may be the colors are too nice. lol

no worries. They kinda dragged their feet with it. First talked about it without giving a date and then gave the date at analyst day. Thats the day they said they are announcing it and it will be available starting june 27th. So they gave it almost a month time to availability. Yea give or take a few days until people get it in their hands but given that newegg and amazon sold out of the preorders I think people should have them soon.

I still am scratching my head though people are grabbing these for what again? IDK i think may be the colors are too nice. lol

I bet some ebay resellers brought them all.

https://videocardz.com/70480/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-preview

Anarchist4000 They have confirmed this is in fact running pro drivers, which is something you have been adamantly denying from the outset in an attempt to validate the clearly invalid comparison to Titan Xp. Just wanted to point out that they have confirmed your theory to be false, I am not entirely certain how this will distinguish itself from the later Radeon Vega WX or whatever the hell it's called with certification for CAD/CAM but i don't expect major differences at this point.

Vega with pro drivers vs Titan with gaming drivers. Really fair comparison eh ?

https://videocardz.com/70480/amd-radeon-vega-frontier-edition-preview

Anarchist4000 They uhave confirmed this is in fact running pro drivers, which is something you have been adamantly denying from the outset in an attempt to validate the clearly invalid comparison to Titan Xp. Just wanted to point out that they have confirmed your theory to be false, I am not entirely certain how this will distinguish itself from the later Radeon Vega WX or whatever the hell it's called with certification for CAD/CAM but i don't expect major differences at this point.

Vega with pro drivers vs Titan with gaming drivers. Really fair comparison eh ?
Where did I deny that? Regardless my comparison was accurate.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3202...vega-frontier-edition-vs-nvidia-titan-xp.html

Here’s the disruptive thing
That brings us to the disruptive part of AMD’s push: Although powerful, Titan Xp is limited to consumer drivers. To approach the performance of the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition with an Nvidia product, you’d have to step up to at least a $2,000 Quadro P5000. A P6000 card, which is kind of the professional equivalent of a Titan Xp, is nearly $6,000.

AMD blames these high prices for driving many prosumers to order workstation-class systems with lower-end professional cards so they can replace them with faster consumer GPUs. AMD believes the Frontier Edition can end this madness and give the company a triumphant return to the professional workstation card game.

Note that the Frontier Edition will do so with pro-optimized software support, though the drivers for the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition won’t actually be fully certified. AMD contends the new GPU design and the HBM2 memory matter as much as the drivers in making Radeon relevant for workstations again.

What about gaming?
AMD didn't show us all this out of kindness. The company is reasonably concerned about how gamers are sizing up the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition. AMD cautions that drivers are a work in progress, and at the risk of repeating itself, the Frontier Edition isn’t a GPU for gamers. AMD does, however, expect Frontier Edition buyers to use the card for gaming within the context of work. A game developer, for example, would want good performance when testing the game he or she is building. Game performance in VR for professional visualization will also matter, the company says.
Is that not precisely what I said made sense?

Back