Vega Rumors

I do know and no one has mentioned using Nvidia for mining at all except you, thus why I asked. 1070 is in stock everywhere so I dont buy they are a hot thing, but if it's new maybe it will change but not until Zcash is valuable enough. ETH mining is where everyone is at right now. Now I am a AMD loyalist thats funny since I am selling my 290x cards since they go for stupid amounts of money and getting a Nvidia 1080, guess I got confused... I hate Intel and they are a unethical company and wont deny that, but I am not loyal to any 1 video card company. You spent a crazy amount of cash hoping the market doesn't collapse on ETH before you make your money back and I am sure AMD thanks you for your cash investment in them. I just find it funny since you hate AMD to almost illogical comedy. Now I hear that AMD and Nvidia are going to make mining cards that cant be used as video cards.. interesting times, but I have a feeling ETH will crash just like Bitcoin did and the massive fire sale will begin then.

Zcash is just as valuable as Eth, Zcash coin goes for 250 bucks or so, same as eth. And just found out Krakan exchange and wallet will be adding Zcash to direct to money tranfer, Coinbase should be to as one of the owners of Coinbase is one of the founding partners of Zcash. But until that happens I won't mine Zcash (well won't sell it).

And I just found out about it a week ago, about a month or two ago, nicehash and another guy made cuda versions of their zcash miner and its blows away AMD cards with open cl. I'm sure Claymore will be doing one as well, cuda based its very recent, that is why I'm saying the mining craze this time around will last a year at least.

Last edited:
Zcash is just as valuable as Eth, Zcash coin goes for 250 bucks or so, same as eth. And just found out Krakan exchange and wallet will be adding Zcash to direct to money tranfer, Coinbase should be to as one of the owners of Coinbase is one of the founding partners of Zcash. But until that happens I won't mine Zcash (well won't sell it).

And I just found out about it a week ago, about a month or two ago, nicehash and another guy made cuda versions of their zcash miner and its blows away AMD cards with open cl. I'm sure Claymore will be doing one as well, cuda based its very recent, that is why I'm saying the mining crazy this time around will last a year at least.

Zcash has a fraction of the market cap.

ETH has 24 Billion vs 376 million :p

You guys are just talking. It is difficult to believe that anyone would settle for 30% lower performance when the next generation of cards come. Unless it something like that :
$300 for 100%
Or
$100 for 70%.

That is true, so unless nV and AMD do something about these supply constraints, its going to tough on gamers!

You guys are just talking. It is difficult to believe that anyone would settle for 30% lower performance when the next generation of cards come. Unless it something like that :
$300 for 100%
Or
$100 for 70%.

I know, the bullshit is flowing. Apple is going to buy cards that are more power hungry and give less performance than the last gen in computer cases that are already anemic in terms of being able to move heat.

I'm not expecting miracles, but the idiots are working hard and so is the iggy button.

If I have one more shot of shine @El Chingón is going to ban me for trolling while calling out the trolls.

And I just found out about it a week ago, about a month or two ago, nicehash and another guy made cuda versions of their zcash miner and its blows away AMD cards with open cl. I'm sure Claymore will be doing one as well, cuda based its very recent, that is why I'm saying the mining crazy this time around will last a year at least.

Hey a reasonable answer, thanks for the added info. A cuda version is very new and will be interesting to see how it compares, most of what I know was through bitcoin years ago. Problem is mining is directly linked to the value of the coin being mined so if it values stays low for to long people will unload the hardware until it rises back up again. Eventually bitcoin just became to hard to do by gpu power and people had to buy dedicated equipment for it. Eventually it led to 290x cards being dumped on the used market big time. So what is the hash rate on Nvidia compared to AMD?

for Zcash 450h/s for the 1070 (cuda) (300 h/s with open CL) overclocked using around 150 watts and 330h/s for the rx580 using around 150 watts (open cl).

its all dependent on the type of algorithms that the cryptocoin is based on too, so Zcash seems to like compression and vram settings over core clock speed. Eth is a mix of both but more so on memory timings. Pertty fun to fool around with em and see what you can get.

I'm hoping Vega will be really good, but with HBM that is a big question mark right now. But Fiji did well so....

Tfw rumor thread devolves into mining discussion right when first proper leaks should start coming.

Though i must admit i am surprised with how hard Vega was delayed ultimately.

https://videocardz.com/newz/hp-omen-desktop-pc-to-ship-with-amd-vega-10

Late q2 2017 or does that C mean half?

AMD-Vega-10-HP-Omen-1000x557.jpg

Last edited:
yeah hp hasn't been know for good case designs lol, even their omen cube just can't ever think about it as a computer.....

Tfw rumor thread devolves into mining discussion right when first proper leaks should start coming.

Though i must admit i am surprised with how hard Vega was delayed ultimately.

Not really AMD's fault on that, but yeah the HBM delay is killing them. I was content to wait until the mining thing exploded again and made my old 290x cards super valuable again, I will take a free upgrade any day.

I'm just hoping Vega is not only a good card but great for mining as well. It feels great getting to spend money on my hobby and legitimately call it investing .

I wish I would have kept my dual 290x rig running all this time even if it was just break even back then.

Have there been any new rumors on vega's speed? I've read everything from between 1080-1080ti to faster than 1080ti to between 1070-1080. Needless to say that's a pretty huge range.

1080 and 1080ti performance I think most are expecting, we would like to see better but it is what it is, GCN has been pushed a long ways.

That seems about right when I got my second 290x since they went down so much in price on the used market.
They are not even selling at 150 USD here, most don't know about mining and electricity isn't so cheap. I may grab another 290x for short term mining (quick payback) and xfire fucking around though.. if it pays for itself it can stay. Also might skip vega10 and go for vega10x2 then...

ok juicy info on Vega on mac pro site

more than 3 x performance over the r9 395x (which was the previous iMac GPU)

So lets take that as 3 x over in synthetics. That puts it at 1080 or just above in performance in synthetics.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Nice.
They will be thermally limited and using slower HBM. Bit like the thermal throttling stock profile FE 1080s. So we can expect at least that speed and probably quite a bit more on decent cooling. I'd guess Ti or better is not impossible with all things in mind.

Nice.
They will be thermally limited and using slower HBM. Bit like the thermal throttling stock profile FE 1080s. So we can expect at least that speed and probably quite a bit more on decent cooling. I'd guess Ti or better is not impossible with all things in mind.

The power of wishful thinking doesn't bring the Gigahurtz.

Step back with expectations until we see a card, I have zero faith this will compete at any given level until we see one in action.

In other words, I believe you are putting too much into this.

They are not even selling at 150 USD here, most don't know about mining and electricity isn't so cheap. I may grab another 290x for short term mining (quick payback) and xfire fucking around though.. if it pays for itself it can stay. Also might skip vega10 and go for vega10x2 then...

Nice.

I don't know man the card it replaced used around 250 watts.....

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M395X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

TDP of the m r9 395 was 250

ok juicy info on Vega on mac pro site

View attachment 27001

more than 3 x performance over the r9 395x (which was the previous iMac GPU)

So lets take that as 3 x over in synthetics. That puts it at 1080 or just above in performance in synthetics.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/
Of all companies out there I have the least amount of trust in anything Apple or AMD has to say.

well that is best case scenario for the apple version of that card :)

Well my 1080 arrived and runs good. Now I get to find out if Vega will end up faster or not, not often you get to upgrade for free to a better video card.

I don't know man the card it replaced used around 250 watts.....

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-M395X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

TDP of the m r9 395 was 250

Jeepers, didn't think they'd cram that in such a form factor..

The power of wishful thinking doesn't bring the Gigahurtz.

Step back with expectations until we see a card, I have zero faith this will compete at any given level until we see one in action.

In other words, I believe you are putting too much into this.

Fair enough.

I have no idea what you are talking about. PR is bullshit I never pay attention to.

Thanks for proving my point about being clueless
It started around 22nm:
6deformation.jpg

Now a lot of companies claim they do "14nm", "10nm" or "7nm"...but it's not based in reality of old metrics.
IT's PR....I love the way you made an owngoal.....good job!

May I suggest you read up...and skip the PR?

A good place to start:
https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/3884-who-will-lead-10nm.html

Last edited:
If I understand correct, mining is back and AMD cards are wanted again?

I have a Sapphire Tri X 290X New Edition and a Tri X R9 -280 .. should I sell them? I have a 770GTX 4Gb I can fell back to if needed.

If I understand correct, mining is back and AMD cards are wanted again?

I have a Sapphire Tri X 290X New Edition and a Tri X R9 -280 .. should I sell them? I have a 770GTX 4Gb I can fell back to if needed.

yeah this is the point at which you will realize the very best return on those cards, put the money into a 1080 or something.

thought about selling my 390X, but decided to let it mine instead. Getting ~600 KH/s mining FTC. Nets me about $100 a month after power and pool costs. Not a lot of money, but otherwise the card is just sitting idle since the rig runs 24/7 anyways.

I'll wait for Vega to come out then decide which direction I want to go.

thought about selling my 390X, but decided to let it mine instead. Getting ~600 KH/s mining FTC. Nets me about $100 a month after power and pool costs. Not a lot of money, but otherwise the card is just sitting idle since the rig runs 24/7 anyways.

I'll wait for Vega to come out then decide which direction I want to go.

I'm thinking very few people who want a Vega as a GPU for gaming will actually be able to nail one as they get tossed out the backdoor to the larger miners.

I'm thinking very few people who want a Vega as a GPU for gaming will actually be able to nail one as they get tossed out the backdoor to the larger miners.

Do you think Vega will be cheap enough for that? I'm asking simply because I don't know. How many people bought Fury/Fury X to mine? You'd have thought with the Fury being a compute monster that it would have been even more popular for miners.

Do you think Vega will be cheap enough for that? I'm asking simply because I don't know. How many people bought Fury/Fury X to mine? You'd have thought with the Fury being a compute monster that it would have been even more popular for miners.

It's not about total compute, it's about efficiency at compute, even a 290x is more efficient when tweaked than a Fury (all types). The Polaris chips can be tweaked so readily and so nicely that despite the 1070 being "faster" at some types of mining (they're not really once they're tuned to match the tuned Polaris efficiency, they're still worse) that they are most in demand followed by last gen 290/390x and dual variants... but people are buying up Fury as well is as it's next in line for efficiency, more on par with 1070 though. I'd just buy 1070's instead of Fury if I was at that second tier.

If the Vega TFLOPs count is true, they will be mining monsters unmatched per watt by anything out there. The unknown factor is going to be how exactly HBM reacts to being mined on.

It's not about total compute, it's about efficiency at compute, even a 290x is more efficient when tweaked than a Fury (all types). The Polaris chips can be tweaked so readily and so nicely that despite the 1070 being "faster" at some types of mining (they're not really once they're tuned to match the tuned Polaris efficiency, they're still worse) that they are most in demand followed by last gen 290/390x and dual variants... but people are buying up Fury as well is as it's next in line for efficiency, more on par with 1070 though. I'd just buy 1070's instead of Fury if I was at that second tier.

If the Vega TFLOPs count is true, they will be mining monsters unmatched per watt by anything out there. The unknown factor is going to be how exactly HBM reacts to being mined on.

Completely agree. Great Post! I would like to add in there the only other benefit of the 1070 in mining though is that is can do other coins faster (cuda based mining programs), like Zcash than radeons for now, I don't know if the radeons can catch up to this, cause I haven't tried to mine zcash yet, it might be something to do with the cuda algorithm. So once the Eth crazy goes which should be early next year when they shift over to POS, the 1070's have options to go to more coins.

Reactions: NKD
like this
Back