Vega Rumors

AMD doing the exact same thing with Bulldozer:

The AMD Blind Reality Check Challenge

The next challenge given to gamers was two high-end systems that were both running AMD Radeon HD 7970 ‘Tahati’ DirectX 11 graphics cards running an Eyefinity display setup. The Intel system was powered by an Intel Core-i7 2700K ‘Sandy Bridge’ processor with an ASRock P67 Fatal1ty motherboard and 8GB of AMD DDR3 performance memory. The AMD system was powered by the FX-8150 ‘Bulldozer’ processor an ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty and the same 8GB of AMD DDR3 performance memory. The key to this demo was focused on processor performance and not graphics performance. The Intel Core i7-2700K retails for $369.99 and the AMD FX-8150 retails for $269.99, so the question here was if gamers could tell a difference between the systems.

The AMD Reality Check Results:

• System C (Intel Core i7-2700K): 40 Votes
  • System D (AMD FX-8150): 73 Votes
  • No Difference: 28 Votes
It appeared that AMD was looking for a no difference win here with the setup, but the gamers voted for system with the AMD FX-8150 ‘Bulldozer’ processor in it.

test-systems.jpg

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-reality-check-at-fx-gamexperience_1838#Hc71mld4EcZJvekS.99

Great, i have expected that exact link. Now go ahead and deal with the fact that you are comparing drivers that do not have SPEC-related optimizations and drivers that do have SPEC-related optimizations. That's first. Once you deal with it, try to claim with straight face that Vega FE is competition with Titan.
Next, theoretical numbers don't mean jack, you know that too.

I don't seem to be the one in denial here.
When someone claims driver improvements of such scale, that's somewhere between denial and bargaining on the 5 stage ladder. I believe we have depression and acceptance left, right?

P. S. That image with Bulldozer vs Sandy comparison up in the thread is 10/10, actually.

I don't think I've seen a video card getting bashed this much leading up to it's release. It's seriously over before it even begins. RX Vega is DOA except for fire sales.

So the idea is the product is inferior but hey you probably can't tell the difference on our cherry-picked test bench, so why pay extra? Not a good look.

Not only cherry picked but with Freesync enabled. There's no way to quantify performance using framerate smoothing.
We all know raw framerate minimums and averages determine overall performance. I, like the majority, don't own a freesync or gsync monitor, so a smoother freesync experience doesn't matter.

I just bought two 1080 Ti.

I've had it with AMD......no more......last cards I bought were R9 290X......they were pretty good, but that's just not good enough anymore.

I doubt anything will ever top the Nvidia FX series. Now that was a disaster. I can not find an article or image for the life of me but I do remember that it got so bad, the FX 5900 series & higher came with around 6 free PC games & another disc that was full of demos. Not sure if it was limited to the 5900 cards but I do recall seeing the promotion at Comp USA for a FX 5900 XT :ROFLMAO:. Plenty of images & articles floating around showing the cards coming with at least three full PC games though.
Hey, now. The 5900XT was a pretty good mid-range card. I remember it took me a long while to decide whether or not to get it or a 9600XT. But I will admit that getting all those free games was the deciding factor ;).

lol,

What is wrong with waiting? Bought a 1070 after the AIBs versions became available and then a second one later for SLI. Now I have a 1080Ti which was worth a wait. As for Vega one has no choice except to wait or buy the well Named Vega FE (Nvidia got bad press with the whole FE thing, of course AMD had to use those letters too). If Vega Nano is a decent upgrade to a Nano then I will probably get one (not sure how in the hell power will be less than 200w to even make it somewhat viable for a SFF case, will have to wait and see on that).

I am wondering how many of the AIBs that also make Nvidia cards will just say nope to Vega cards? If any. Maybe we may just see a reference design with slapped on coolers from like MSI or ASUS. Will there be any custom designs for the board? When?

Waiting is a reward by itself.
Think of all the money you save.

Well I'm certainly saving on my electric bill right now running my RX470 instead of Vega.... but by the time I can get my hands on Vega it'll be time for temperatures to be falling and I'll need the space heater.

lol,

What is wrong with waiting? Bought a 1070 after the AIBs versions became available and then a second one later for SLI. Now I have a 1080Ti which was worth a wait. As for Vega one has no choice except to wait or buy the well Named Vega FE (Nvidia got bad press with the whole FE thing, of course AMD had to use those letters too). If Vega Nano is a decent upgrade to a Nano then I will probably get one (not sure how in the hell power will be less than 200w to even make it somewhat viable for a SFF case, will have to wait and see on that).

I am wondering how many of the AIBs that also make Nvidia cards will just say nope to Vega cards? If any. Maybe we may just see a reference design with slapped on coolers from like MSI or ASUS. Will there be any custom designs for the board? When?

The worst thing about waiting is that you can get very little use out of a card before being succeeded by the next gen.

I can't imagine buying a 1080Ti *now* knowing maybe in a quarter or two there'll be a Volta successor that's even better for cheaper.

I'd hate to be that dude that bought the cream of the crop 2 weeks before next gen is released.

The worst thing about waiting is that you can get very little use out of a card before being succeeded by the next gen.

I can't imagine buying a 1080Ti *now* knowing maybe in a quarter or two there'll be a Volta successor that's even better for cheaper.

I'd hate to be that dude that bought the cream of the crop 2 weeks before next gen is released.
Having a better card coming out later does not affect my experience with current card. It will perform the same or better if better drivers are available. I doubt Volta will be out for consumers this year anyways, more like 6-8 months out is my humble guess. So I will have the benefits of the 1080Ti vice 1070SLI all during that time and beyond. Everyone just has to decide when it is the right time for them for what ever reason.

Volta may be better however the 1080 I picked up a month ago after I sold my 2 290x's and it does everything I need and works well since I am at 1080p. I figure to upgrade at some point to a 1440p setup but thats a bit of a ways off yet. So Volta may be super impressive and yet I wont care cause I wont upgrade my card unless the frame rate is lower then I like. I find only benchmark junkies need to have the latest stuff all the time and thats a small niche. Best part about waiting is the price came down on the 1080 and the price sky rocketed on my old 290x cards, I upgraded fro free and kept some change. So yes waiting can be a good thing. Only people I see caring about volta are benchmark junkies and 4k guys, past that I dont think many will be in a rush to upgrade.

Volta may be better however the 1080 I picked up a month ago after I sold my 2 290x's and it does everything I need and works well since I am at 1080p. I figure to upgrade at some point to a 1440p setup but thats a bit of a ways off yet. So Volta may be super impressive and yet I wont care cause I wont upgrade my card unless the frame rate is lower then I like. I find only benchmark junkies need to have the latest stuff all the time and thats a small niche. Best part about waiting is the price came down on the 1080 and the price sky rocketed on my old 290x cards, I upgraded fro free and kept some change. So yes waiting can be a good thing. Only people I see caring about volta are benchmark junkies and 4k guys, past that I dont think many will be in a rush to upgrade.
I'm looking forward to Volta precisely because I would like to eventually make the jump to 4k. But I've only now bought a 1440p monitor, so no rush.
Which is ultimately the big problem Vega faces - even if it's a little bit faster, why should I be interested when I already had this level of performance in 2016?

I'm looking forward to Volta precisely because I would like to eventually make the jump to 4k. But I've only now bought a 1440p monitor, so no rush.
Which is ultimately the big problem Vega faces - even if it's a little bit faster, why should I be interested when I already had this level of performance in 2016?

I dont disagree it will face the same issue as will Navi, unless games start pushing the hardware more.

Yeah but then if you know you'll get extra performance for only 60-70% of the price, if you waited a couple of weeks/months more, that devalues your current purchase.

I would rather overpay upon release than paying less, but getting less time before it's replaced. Once you get into the waiting game it gets harder and harder to justify when to stop waiting, lol.

Yeah but then if you know you'll get extra performance for only 60-70% of the price, if you waited a couple of weeks/months more, that devalues your current purchase.

I would rather overpay upon release than paying less, but getting less time before it's replaced. Once you get into the waiting game it gets harder and harder to justify when to stop waiting, lol.

I upgrade when I feel the need, not when new hardware comes out. By the time I replace my video card it's usually not worth much so I always get some mileage on them. I am not like some on here that replace every generation, hell the 290X and the 8800GT were the only cards I ever bought at launch. Right now my 1080 is getting me well over 80 fps and most times even higher so I dont see why Volta will matter to me at all even if it has double the performance. Plus there is always something better coming, I just buy when I feel the need.

I don't think I've seen a video card getting bashed this much leading up to it's release. It's seriously over before it even begins. RX Vega is DOA except for fire sales.

I wouldn't even buy it on fire sale.

It would kill my power supply.

Where did they that? They NEVER said that. They just picked a Titan because they can win in a couple of Pro benches against it, because it lacked pro drivers. they didn't even have the guts to compare to a Quadro P5000 which manhandles Vega FE.

Yeah a 500W power consumption advanced!

A stupid and unneeded comparison, which you very well know! Yeah lets do a research on gsync and freesync right before Vega launches! what a brilliant idea. Wake up man, they only do this because they have nothing better to talk about for Vega. This is their only trump card.

You know when was the last time AMD did something like that? The FX series

Caplj3O.png

Or they failed badly, and the new features are a bust. When was the last time you saw a driver boost performance and reduce power consumption? Disney land?

Yeah now you are day dreaming!

AMD knows they have a bad product on their hands, they released videos of ThreadRipper performance TWO WEEKS before launch, they never did the same for RX Vega because it sucks! plain and simple!

This shit made me lol IRL.

They like to make sure anyone with remotely any interest in a product is solidly pissed off before they launch.

One more week... this is the fun part. Seeing who predicted right!
The sad thing is, unless Vega is the second coming, I don't think it's hard to see who predicted right.

A more fun game would be who predicted wrong, and have them march in shame, game of thrones style.

But, as per usual, I will hold my final judgment until it actually gets out (even if it smells like a turd and sounds like a turd, I'd only call it turd when I see it), even though my opinion of it is basically "everything points to it being turd, it's just a matter of revealing it now".

I wouldn't even buy it on fire sale.

It would kill my power supply.

LOL that is overblown. RX vega cards seem to be rated at 275W total board power out of the box, think I saw that at videocardz.com I am sure you could push it beyond 275w and blow up your power supply. Then again you can do that with everything.

I don't think the intended market for Vega really cares about power consumption, however I'm not sure if AMD hit the right performance numbers to actually price it into that market...

When two cards are similar in power, the power consumption becomes make or break not because of actual power consumption (depending on electricity costs of course), but rather whether it'll be compatible with their PSUs. But if PSU is not in question, I agree with the statement.

Generally speaking, a GPU that consumes 100W less than the other will obviously work in more systems without risking PSU failure. Also, the compulsary AIO might not fly with everyone.

The way I see it, it's Fury X vs 980ti all over again, except this time it's Vega vs 1080 while 1080ti has been out for a good season.

its like everything with AMD hype and wait.
yep you just wait we will bla bla bla

june then july then august....when will we hear sept, oct, first of year

People use power consumption as a metric to compare along with a given level of performance. The lower power card is seen as more advanced since it can do the same work with less power. If AMD shows up a year late with a 1080 level card that uses 100w more than a 1080, that's a failure by AMD.

I have a 1250W PSU, bring on the 300w cards. :p

But seriously, too much and the room starts to heat up. My 980 Ti and Titan X run very noticeably cooler than my 290X CFX setup did.

I have a 1250W PSU, bring on the 300w cards. :p

But seriously, too much and the room starts to heat up. My 980 Ti and Titan X run very noticeably cooler than my 290X CFX setup did.

My single XFX 290 made my room hot, I would have hated rocking xfire lol.

I don't think the intended market for Vega really cares about power consumption, however I'm not sure if AMD hit the right performance numbers to actually price it into that market...

Rather, Vega itself has narrowed its own intended markets. Can't do SFF, can't do notebooks, can't do enthusiast... But it can compete against the competition's #3 best!

Rather, Vega itself has narrowed its own intended markets. Can't do SFF, can't do notebooks, can't do enthusiast... But it can compete against the competition's #3 best!
#3?

#4... (Titan Xp, 1080ti & Titan X)

Officially one generation behind.

Anyone here have a nagging feeling that AMD should have just gone with GDDR5X instead of being delayed HBM2?

Less than 5 days away from the paper launch and the best Fire Strike score still lags behind a 1+ year old aftermarket GTX 1080. Huge die compared to GP104, more expensive memory solution, 50-100% extra power and zero threat to NVIDIA's next-generation lineup expected to be available sooner rather than later despite an ill-intentioned ''Poor Volta'' FUD campaign. This has to be the biggest failure in the GPU world since R600.

Back