Geronemo3

Weaksauce
Hi.
So I got the Vega 64.
Other specs
Core i7-6700
16GB RAM
SSD

My Current power supply is EVGA GS 550 Gold+.

The Vega 64 box says I need a 750W power supply :(
Using kill a Watt and playing FIFA, tomb raider 2003 the max power draw is 375-385W.
This was at resolution of 11520x1600 using eyefinity.

As soon as I pause the game it drops down to 150W.
Idea PC power draw is between 35-50W.

Do I really need a 750W power supply for the Vega 64 since I am already using a good one not generic PC power supply.

Please let me know.

as per the other thread about vega in SFFs, you may have issues. there is a reason 750w is listed as the minimum. if you have any sudden lockups or black screens that is probably the issue. but as stated, you might be fine if you don't try to oc it.

edit: its on this page 2/3 down:
https://hardforum.com/threads/rx-vega-owners-thread.1941944/page-18

Last edited:
I'd say get a larger power supply, you've already spent the money on the 64, why not spend a few more bucks for the PS it requires? There might be some decent Cyber Monday deals coming up.

If you are not having an issue then it should be fine. If your looking at 385 watts at the wall its about 345 watts (psu's are rated at what they can supply). The GS is capable of supplying 540 watt's on the 12 volt line.

yes it might be fine, it might not. others have had issues with a 600/650w. so OP, if you have ANY issues swap the psu and that includes if you HAVE to downclock to get it to work without powering off. like some others around here...

The power draw of the video card is dependent on the load (obviously). This means you will draw more power as you increase resolution, turn on more eye candy in your games, or play a game with a more modern game engine. These situations can also cause increased CPU usage which will also add more load to the power supply.

The power recommendations are not there just to put something there. Granted, the specs provided may ave been in peak rather than continuous load, but a good power supply should be able to handle close to 80% continuous load of your peak rating. That puts your max load at 440W on a good day in ideal conditions. Long story short is you should invest in a larger power supply.

Ok thanks.
I am looking at the EVGA supernova 750W G2 gold+
I like EVGA silent mode when the fan didn't kick in at all during normal usage.

Will I be able to overclock using 750W. I am thinking of I am getting a new power supply it might as well be able to overclock the card. Keeping that option open.

Let me know.

Ok thanks.
I am looking at the EVGA supernova 750W G2 gold+
I like EVGA silent mode when the fan didn't kick in at all during normal usage.

Will I be able to overclock using 750W. I am thinking of I am getting a new power supply it might as well be able to overclock the card. Keeping that option open.

Let me know.

I'm a huge fan of the EVGA Supernova lineup especially the G3 models. Oklahoma Wolf over at Jonny Guru reviewed one a while back and basically gave it a perfect score. I bought a G2 model based off his review of it and it's been flawless so my next one will be a G3. They're about $30 more expensive than the Seasonic but worth it I think. Can't go wrong with either tho.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=500

Last edited:
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/10/24/seasonic_focus_plus_gold_platinum_750w_review

The Seasonic Focus Gold is selling for $89 at the egg:
Seems like a very good choice as well - With HardOCP testing it will most likely be a ten year plus power supply.

The EVGA 750w g2 gold, I might be able to get that for $69 with MIR.

Is this seasonic focus gold 750w overall better and have silent mode?

Thanks

The EVGA 750w g2 gold, I might be able to get that for $69 with MIR.

Is this seasonic focus gold 750w overall better and have silent mode?

Thanks

Based on reviews, they're both excellent and about as good as you can get. I'm partial to the EVGA cause I've always kinda been an EVGA and Superflower (the OEM) fan boy and like the looks of these but we're honestly comparing Ferraris to Lamborghinis with these 2 so if you don't have a preference either way, get the cheapest one and you'll be set.

Some recent evga power supplies switched from superflower to another OEM.

Update:
It was the B3 series of power supplies from evga that switched from superflower to RSY.
https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/...lden-samples-of-the-supernova-b3-to-jonnyguru

G2 and G3 should still be great. One thing to keep in mind is the Seasonic Focus is smaller in size. 140mm in length which can be nice depending on your case. For me it means I can fit a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case.

Last edited:
Some recent evga power supplies switched from superflower to another OEM.

Update:
It was the B3 series of power supplies from evga that switched from superflower to RSY.
https://www.techpowerup.com/237767/...lden-samples-of-the-supernova-b3-to-jonnyguru

G2 and G3 should still be great. One thing to keep in mind is the Seasonic Focus is smaller in size. 140mm in length which can be nice depending on your case. For me it means I can fit a 120mm fan on the bottom of the case.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that, that is pretty shady especially from a name like EVGA that has always been pretty well known for taking care of their customers.

I still like the "uniqueness" of the G2 and G3's. Seems like everybody and their brother has a Seasonic PSU. The G2 and G3 are a little more rare but still use a top notch OEM.

It's the seasonic have silent mode. Pls let me know. I might just pick that over EVGA.

Thanks

Seasonic's website shows it will run fanless up to 30% load, silent up to 50%, and then the fan will ramp up from there. They say fan mode activation points are estimates. Also to get fanless mode there is a toggle switch on the PSU, if it isn't on you will just get silent mode instead of fanless.

Both EVGA and Seasonic are excellent choices. You could also throw Corsair in there too (high end models are Seasonic). Seasonic and Corsair have modes where the power supply will run silent (without fan) if you have it configured that way. I have both Seasonic and Corsair models and they work great.

I am looking at 750W seasonics too now. They seem to have lower fan noise around 20db compared to EVGA 35db.

Also what's funny is Seasonic website "which power supply u need" is telling me to get a platinum 550W after I put in all my PC components.

EVGA is telling me to get 550W Gold with all my PC components.

those are just estimates. people really need to use at least the minimum recommended to ensure no issues.

What's the difference between Seasonic:

Focus
Focus Plus
Prime
Prime Ultra

Also a 750W or 850W will only draw what's required right?

Pls let me know.

Thanks

Also a 750W or 850W will only draw what's required right?

Pls let me know.

Thanks

Yes they both will work, the 750 may be slightly more efficient at idle as it's closer to 20% capacity but the 850may be slightly more efficient at load as it's closer to the 50%capacity

I know the Prime Ultra is just a newer updated Prime and they got rid of the inline caps (I think they are caps) that were on each wire. Some of them are smaller in size as well.

Focus is semi modular, Focus Plus is fully modular. Not sure if there are other differences.

I missed the Seasonic Focus Plus 850W.

Got the Seasonic Focus Plus 750W today for $79 + $20 MIR.

Total cost coming out to $59 after rebate. No tax. Free shipping.

Back