Variable USB 2.0 port current? connected fan changes the speed randomly

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello, the laptop has USB 2.0 port, and sometimes happen than the connected fan speed change. I notice 2 speeds only (nothing in between).
Do not know if the issue is computer or the USB fan peripheral. Fan has no way switch to define different speed.
I checked Windows 10 Device manager properties of the USB hubs, power tabs and it does not display any current drawing USB device and its mA, only 0mA.

How can i decrease current to a computer USB 2.0 port or even particular port on a USB hub? I am on Windows 10.

The spec is 0.5 amps. The fan (not sure what kind you have?) is most likely pulling less the half of that. I would try to see if their are some power settings causing the USB ports to power savings mode and disable those, that would be my guess. Most likely the ports are being put to sleep or low power because there is no "device" plugged in.

Your post was not much helpfull, issue remains.

Explanation: Yes, i know USB 2.0 port is 0.5 Amper and the fan needs 0.1 Amper. Fan type is mentioned under the link i already posted. Issue is how to exactly do what you suggest on Windows 10. That is my target - what to exactly do on W10.

Power options -> USB settings -> USB selective suspend, then change it from enabled to disabled and see if that makes a difference.

Ready4Dis i do not think this will do. I am having non english windows, so i went to Control panels, Power options, next to my current power scheme clicked for advanced power settings, found USB setting which had both options (battery/mains) disabled/forbidden already.

Ready4Dis i do not think this will do. I am having non english windows, so i went to Control panels, Power options, next to my current power scheme clicked for advanced power settings, found USB setting which had both options (battery/mains) disabled/forbidden already.
Sorry, I'm not.that familiar with the USB options, but it for sure sounds like it's powering down for some reason. I wish I was able to help but I'm not sure where else to look.

Maybe someone will know how to do it.
I have found another problem with this fan. it seems to have very low power at times that it do not spin at all and at that moment the thin (2mm) USB cable start being warm. And when i turn off the power switch on the fan, the cable cools down. I have pushed the fan a bit forward and it started going now, and do not change speed last several hours. So i guess it is just a cheap and bad chinese motor.

Back