Vapochill worth it?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Well i am across some money, a large amout.. say 3600 ish... maybe more... before you tell me how to spend it i have already decided...

anyway...

Im gonna sell my PC and build a new box... P4EE or Prescott, SCSI etc etc... anyway to get the most out of my processor.... i wanted to vapochill it... are these bad boys really that good? who has them and what results you get?

thanks

I've heard the prommy's are a lot better than Vapochill.

you may want to check out over at xtremesystems.org...there's a LOT of vapor-phase change folks there.

If you don't mind uninstalling it and taking it to your local A/C to get it recharged now and then then I'd say go for it. But I'd say invest your cash in a nice next gen vid card if you really want to get the most of out your system.

HEy,
Why are u building a new computer? Yours is already powerful enough: "P4C 2.8 @ 3.2, Abit IC7, 1GB DDR400, Dual WD Raptors in Raid 0, ATi 9700 Pro, SB Audigy 2, 48X CDRW, 16X DVD, Antec True Power 550, CTX 17' LCD (16ms)" Your computer can handle all games and all applications. All you really have to do is maybe upgrade your video card to the NV40 or something and then you will be set. However if you wish to upgrade and get a vapochill, i havent seen one for real but i have seen it used on the internet.
You can watch a video on it at TOMSHARDWARE.COM The video is called the 5GHz Project. So.............. Good luck with whatever way you choose
:)

Personally, I say screw the vapochill and put the money to a nice water setup (proc, vid card, north bridge, hdds, etc) and then splurge on the video card and monitor. Your current proc probably still has potential OC power with a good water setup, as does any new video card. And you can't have a good enough monitor, maybe say a 20in 16ms LCD... or 2 ;). The new Radeons are coming out in a few months (I believe june), or if you don't want to wait, the new Geforce'll be out next month. Kicks the crap out of the 9800xt. Go have fun with that $3.6k!!!

Originally posted by knyghtryda
Personally, I say screw the vapochill and put the money to a nice water setup (proc, vid card, north bridge, hdds, etc) and then splurge on the video card and monitor. Your current proc probably still has potential OC power with a good water setup, as does any new video card. And you can't have a good enough monitor, maybe say a 20in 16ms LCD... or 2 ;). The new Radeons are coming out in a few months (I believe june), or if you don't want to wait, the new Geforce'll be out next month. Kicks the crap out of the 9800xt. Go have fun with that $3.6k!!!

i agree. vapochills get you really huge OCs but you will never need that. with a good WC system youll get 3.8 ghz, and you really DONT need anymore

Who cares what he NEEDS. This is hardforum, not BestBuy :p

Pentium 4 EE is NOT worth the extra money for what you're getting, IMHO. However... A 3.2 ghZ prescott, plus a Prometia Mach II with an IC7-MAX3 should make you happy. Throw in watercooling for the video card/north bridge, and you've got it made. Pick up some Mushkin Level II off of eBay... I'm drooling already. There should be enough left over to get a 2001FP... Or maybe dual 2001fp's :eek:

Prometia > Vapochill

My vote goes for Prescott with Vapochill(the best edition) :eek:
thats what i WOULD have bought... of course if i had more money...

If you want to overcloak, dont bother watercooling a prescott.

watercooled prescott at stock speed temp = northwood air cooled temp

well... pretty much
good luck

well the mach2 ST is about the same price as a high end water cooling kit.

btw check out the vapochill LS. i have one and its great, better performance than a mach2:)

i am enjoying my vapochill, and the main reason i got it was the portability to lans compared to water or a promethia. Also i dont have to worry about leaks or anything like that and its nice and quiet.

Originally posted by RS3RS
Who cares what he NEEDS. This is hardforum, not BestBuy :p

Pentium 4 EE is NOT worth the extra money for what you're getting, IMHO. However... A 3.2 ghZ prescott, plus a Prometia Mach II with an IC7-MAX3 should make you happy. Throw in watercooling for the video card/north bridge, and you've got it made. Pick up some Mushkin Level II off of eBay... I'm drooling already. There should be enough left over to get a 2001FP... Or maybe dual 2001fp's :eek:

Prometia > Vapochill

But you have to admit, no matter what he gets, he needs to get those dual 2001fps right ;)

i agree. vapochills get you really huge OCs but you will never need that. with a good WC system youll get 3.8 ghz, and you really DONT need anymore

Well I had REALLY GOOD water cooling, and am MUCH happier with the Vapo. As far as need.... who the hell around here cares about need??? It's a "I WANT A $HIT FAST PC" crowd around here. We are not using our 4Ghz rigs to play PONG. Ok enough rant. I have a Vapo PE and am happy with it for an out of box soloution. But If I had to do again I would probably have picked up a Mach unit. Not because of the performance as the top units from both companies have similar performance. I'm not really hot on the case the Vapochill comes in. Going from a Lian Li PC75 to the Vapo case felt like a downgrade. There were not enough 5.25 bays available(only 3) for all my stuff. Although you need to do some cutting for a Mach unit, at least you get to keep your existing case. My2c

I totally feel with you my man, i had a pc75 case as well and went down to a vapo xe in fact we have similar systems.

Some guy got his prescott to 5.1 GHz, but then, he was running it at -100C with some freon cooling system he built (mush like a freezer at home). I can't remember what vcore he used though, but you could find it in the cool cases forum (or this one) if you flip a few pages.

in fact we have similar systems

Wow, no kidding there. I jut pulled the Antec True Control 550W PS out and put my Enermax EG651P-VE back in. When I added the 80W Pelt to the GPU I started getting "brown outs". The Antec only supports 24A on the 12v line the Enermax supports 36A, no more random reboots :) Are you using the stock cooler on that XT? What temps is that XE system getting you under load?? With my PE my CPU spikes to 22~24c at first 100% load, then normalizes to 16~18c. I have the hold temp set to -15c.

WD Raptor >>>> All SCSI drives. Dont' get SCSI if you already have raptors.

What!!?? Put the glue down man..! I'll take my 15k U320 to a pair of Raptors any day of the week..

15c idle and load temps at around -3c, i am using stock heatsink for my video games at the moment, i plan to sell it and get a 6800 or the new ati card.

You guys are nuts lol

Listen i know i dont need a better computer.. I am a entusiast.... every 6 months i sell my computer and build a completly new one... its what i do..
i have 4000$ now and i want to throw it all down on a new system. my system is already sold "as is" as soon as i build my new one.

People saying dont get SCSI if i already have raptors... well my raptors are considered sold... so i dont want to spend money on the same tech, i want something faster... SCSI is the only alternative correct.

i have made up my mind... 4000$ im gonna get a new CPU, and OC to about 3.8 ish or higher... more faster ram, GeForce 6 ultra, the works... i just wanted to know about cooling... is the Vapochill worth it for the processor?
I have enough money to watercool the northy and GPU... all i am asking is the processor.. should I vapochill it... or will a good watercooling setup be enough to achive my 3.8 - 4Ghz goal...

thank you...

jesus... a simple question gets off track on how to spend my money....

many people have stated that watercooling will get you to 3.8-4.0 if you have a good setup. however, you could easily get to 4.0 or higher with the vapochill. its your choice.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
WD Raptor >>>> All SCSI drives. Dont' get SCSI if you already have raptors.

Dude, do you even know what SCSI is? SCSI >>>>> than ANY raptor.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
Some guy got his prescott to 5.1 GHz, but then, he was running it at -100C with some freon cooling system he built (mush like a freezer at home). I can't remember what vcore he used though, but you could find it in the cool cases forum (or this one) if you flip a few pages.

Yeah, that was pretty cool. He was running dual cascade phase change cooling, and I believe the vcore was 1.7 volts (could be wrong though).

Originally posted by USMC2Hard4U

thats what you asked us, how to spend your money. to me spending that much every 6 months is a huge waste, but if its your thing...weve already given the facts

keep your old rig to test out your cooling solution.That way if you furball anything it won't really matter.

Oh by the way my birthday is coming up:D hint hint

I am really looking for responses from people who use Vapochill or Petromedia here at the [H]

Then they can tell me if its worth it or not, because they know first hand...

I am really looking for responses from people who use Vapochill or Petromedia here at the [H]

Then they can tell me if its worth it or not, because they know first hand...

I have had a vapo pe ti for some time now and I like it a lot but there are some minor things I would have done differently - so I started building my own phase change boxes from the ground up. :)

anyway, vapo and prom. have both made a lot of improvements and many of the quirks from the PE series have been removed with the latest versions.

if you want the best of the best (commercial versions) at the moment here are your options:
Vapochill LS
(approx. US $850-900 )

MACH II GT
(approx. US $ 1,250-$1275)

the Vapo LS is prolly more bang for the buck -- the mach II GT performance is still relatively uncharted territory and it is a good deal more $$....with that price tag, it should be a little colder than the LS. Still, the vapo LS comes with an aluminum kit as standard gear, it uses R507 for the refrigerant and the evap is based heavily upon baker18's evap (so it should work damn well)
so much for the commercial versions.

if you really want cold, contact one of the custom phase change builders (capt cascade, bowman1964, chilly1, etc). the coldest temps you will see on a factory model are in the -50 to -60C range -- some of the custom built models will go down to -150C. :)

Get both an awsome WC setup AND the Vapo/Prommy...then put a bit of antifreeze in the WC mix...and put the Vapo/Prommy on the water resevoir...that way you can cool CPU, NB, GPU with those ultra low temps :)

....anyone ever tried that???? Would it even work??? I would think so as long as the water was kept moving and had some antifreeze...but I could be wrong. Closest I've been to watercooling was pissing on an old Compaq EN.

Using the Prommy to cool water would be a complete waste. It would be much better to use it for the proc, and then maybe make a water chiller out of an old AC unit if you really wanted to.

Originally posted by amohedas
Using the Prommy to cool water would be a complete waste. It would be much better to use it for the proc, and then maybe make a water chiller out of an old AC unit if you really wanted to.

Why would it be a waste if the water is chilled to the temp of the prommy and used to cool the CPU, NB, and GPU all at the same time???? Efficiency loss from the waterblock(s)/water lines????

Why would it be a waste if the water is chilled to the temp of the prommy and used to cool the CPU, NB, and GPU all at the same time???? Efficiency loss from the waterblock(s)/water lines????

No, because the Prommy will more than likely begin to freeze the water! Seeing as how most of them can maintain a proc at close to freezing, all it would take is for some ice to form in the tube and theres bound to be some sort of blockage. A prommy on water is just a bad idea.

You guys are nuts lol

Listen i know i dont need a better computer.. I am a entusiast.... every 6 months i sell my computer and build a completly new one... its what i do..
i have 4000$ now and i want to throw it all down on a new system. my system is already sold "as is" as soon as i build my new one.

People saying dont get SCSI if i already have raptors... well my raptors are considered sold... so i dont want to spend money on the same tech, i want something faster... SCSI is the only alternative correct.

i have made up my mind... 4000$ im gonna get a new CPU, and OC to about 3.8 ish or higher... more faster ram, GeForce 6 ultra, the works... i just wanted to know about cooling... is the Vapochill worth it for the processor?
I have enough money to watercool the northy and GPU... all i am asking is the processor.. should I vapochill it... or will a good watercooling setup be enough to achive my 3.8 - 4Ghz goal...

thank you...

I just noticed that you're in Yuma. You at the marine base?

Sorry for going off topic.

A quick look at the nv40 reviews will clue you into how CPU limited newer games are, and the review boxes are generally 3.0Cs or athlon64 3200+s.

Originally posted by knyghtryda
No, because the Prommy will more than likely begin to freeze the water! Seeing as how most of them can maintain a proc at close to freezing, all it would take is for some ice to form in the tube and theres bound to be some sort of blockage. A prommy on water is just a bad idea.

That's why I mentioned the Antifreeze.

But whatever, I think it would be an interesting experiment for someone with some cash to burn anyway.

Originally posted by Drinnit
I just noticed that you're in Yuma. You at the marine base?

Sorry for going off topic.

Yes I am here for WTI until april 23rd ish

Originally posted by Drinnit
Oh yeah, and I'd spring for an AthlonFX if I had that sort of cash.

lol....

(I am an intel fanboy)

Hyperthreading for ever :p

thanks for the suggestion tho

Ah well, can't expect anyone else on the [H] to be from Yuma and stay for very long.

Anyways -- all the power to ya. I'm an AMD fanboy, but whatever floats yer boat.

Back