Valve to Release Own Console-Like PC for the Living Room

Linux is locked down? :confused: I'm pretty sure that insane Stallman guy would like to speak with you.
Someone has reading comprehension issues.

Windows 8 is not locked down, and the posts here indicated that Valve is suggesting creating a locked down linux box with their own proprietary (shit) interface, and that somehow this would be something that people would actually WANT.

That would be absolutely idiotic.

If its proper gaming PC it will be expensive (expense is relative) regardless.

I don't think Valve wants an open platform because that would mean you don't have to use Steam, which would be counter productive for them.

Yeah, but that's not what they will be competing against.

They will be competing against existing consoles, in which case an AMD Trinity APU would be all that's needed in order to keep up.

They don't have to use high priced components. Factor in mass b2b component discounts when you factor in high volumes, and I think these things will be priced rather competitively.

Windows 8 is not locked down, and the posts here indicated that Valve is suggesting creating a locked down linux box with their own proprietary (shit) interface, and that somehow this would be something that people would actually WANT.

Again, it wouldn't be competing with PC's. It would be competing with consoles.

We would reap some of the benefit from it though, as it would add a larger user base to Steam, likely giving game developers more of an incentive to develop for the platform.

Zarathustra[H];1039414045 said:

We would reap some of the benefit from it though, as it would add a larger user base to Steam, likely giving game developers more of an incentive to develop for the platform.

I think Steam already has upwards of 30,000,000 million registered users .... if they don't have the incentive yet I am not sure how many more they need to add :eek:

Zarathustra[H];1039414045 said:

I think he, rudy, and others believe that for some reason Steam would somehow quit offering Steam for the PC and completely lock everything down on all form factors.

First, a few things to understand here:

- There's no way in hell Steam will be using DX or MS for their console when the point of the console was to steer clear of MS in the first place.

- The Steam "console" is more of a locked hardware PC / console hybrid. It's going to offer HTPC and gaming in one, just like your average console.

- These will be decent buys for those looking to get into PC gaming but don't build their own PCs. It's a gaming PC in a Steam box.

- They likely won't be the only big game studio and game distribution service to look at other options.

Whether it retains PC functionality depends on whether Steam locks the thing's bootloader and just what Linux distro they end up using. If you recall the PS hacking then you know what I mean

I think Steam already has upwards of 30,000,000 million registered users .... if they don't have the incentive yet I am not sure how many more they need to add :eek:

I'm hoping that it gives existing AAA developers the incentive to use OpenGL over DirectX, as it should make porting for each particular system/OS a cheaper and easier process. If this steambox uses linux, and developers flock to it, it gives PC gamers a lot more options than we previously had. I see this as nothing but a WIN-WIN for everyone.

I'd grab one for the living room (and perhaps my bedroom as well) if it had better media streaming capabilities than Xbox/PS... which it surely will considering how locked down they are.

We don't really know anything about it yet aside from the fact that the Valve people have announced they're going to make a big-screen friendly PC. It's a little early to get upset about the user interface, the operating system choice, the specifications, and how awful it will make gaming on a PC yet. In fact, even after it comes out, it's probably not really worth getting too excited about since it's just a games thing and games are for fun, not for using as a catalyst for inventing reasons to be upset with people online. Doing something like that really would be idiotic. :p

You mean a proprietary interface with a locked down box like the XBox 360 and PS3? You're making an awful lot of assumptions not only about what people want(since what you've described has sold tens of millions of units), but about what the final product will be on the Steam Console. All you've seen so far is the newly released "Big Picture" mode that is probably only a beta of what will actually be released when the console is made available to the general public.

You need to simma dawn naw.

I'm hoping that it gives existing AAA developers the incentive to use OpenGL over DirectX, as it should make porting for each particular system/OS a cheaper and easier process. If this steambox uses linux, and developers flock to it, it gives PC gamers a lot more options than we previously had. I see this as nothing but a WIN-WIN for everyone.

I'd grab one for the living room (and perhaps my bedroom as well) if it had better media streaming capabilities than Xbox/PS... which it surely will considering how locked down they are.

Since the vast majority of games use licensed graphics engines don't they already have some of that incentive already. Don't the Id, Source, Unreal, and other engines support Open GL as well as Direct X? If the engine makers code in Open GL I am sure the developers will use it (the "if you build it he will come" approach :) ) ... and that is probably independent of the Valve box ;)

No but the Windows Store is the default shoved in your face store. And Smartscreen can make non-windows store software seem like it will infect your computer, steal your bank account and get your daughter pregnant.

Average user, which is what matter here, will fall for the nudging into the Store and warnings about non-store software.

Just give me HL3 damnit!!! >.<

29908559.jpg

Back