Valve Office Tour In Virtual Reality

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think virtual reality tours like this will eventually be everywhere. It's kinda neat to be able to take a virtual tour of Valve's offices from the comfort of your own home and feel like you are actually there, wandering around their offices.

Seriously hope some headcrabs pop out and chase you around the office.

This is going to be the wave of the future for real estate. Be rad to be able to look at a bunch of homes without having to visit them.

Might be. You also have the Ikea experience. Could take off for businesses.

It might answer a question that have plagued some [H] members: to roomscale or not to roomscale, thats the question (or, do I only want to sit on my ass doing this?). :nailbiting:

That little intro from Gabe, wonder why it says "I work at Valve", does somebody else own it now? Or is something to do with the no bosses thing?

Well, it does sound better than, "I'm the owner of Valve, which I own." :p

And this is also a great tool for robbers/terrorists/etc to use in order to plan their attacks.

Full access without even having to go there.

First time they are there they can carry out an attack. No casing the joint whatsoever. You already know the entrances/exits/check points/etc.

Only thing they would need to know in addition is if there are any guards.

And this is also a great tool for robbers/terrorists/etc to use in order to plan their attacks.

Full access without even having to go there.

First time they are there they can carry out an attack. No casing the joint whatsoever. You already know the entrances/exits/check points/etc.

Only thing they would need to know in addition is if there are any guards.

Nobody said they had to be 100% accurate. Conversely, you could upload intentionally inaccurate tours and create your own "truths".

Your world is scary, bro.

Nobody said they had to be 100% accurate. Conversely, you could upload intentionally inaccurate tours and create your own "truths".

Your world is scary, bro.

Better to be realistic about stuff than to turn into a "snowflake" and think we live in a utopia and then freak out when anything happens to even slightly disrupt my dream world.

Better to be realistic about stuff than to turn into a "snowflake" and think we live in a utopia and then freak out when anything happens to even slightly disrupt my dream world.

There is nothing realistic about saying photogrammetry of real world locations will be used to plan ocean's eleven style heists or terrorist attacks.

Unless it is a location that has never been otherwise photographed, you're not going to learn anything that can't be inferred from existing information. Building plans would be much more valuable to plan the kind of caper you're imagining.

"Casing the joint" for terrorists is necessary because they need to see where the major flows of people are. It's easy to blend in since attacks are usually in very public places, so that isn't a concern. Nobody's going to use an empty recreation of Grand Central to plan a bombing. It's unnecessary and stupid.

Robbers would still need to "case the joint" because of the one thing you mentioned that is critical for George Clooney & Co. to be successful. Knowing where guards are, what their routines are, how to get past locks, etc. Also why would anyone publish a VR model of a sensitive area? I can't even take pictures of the luggage carousels at JFK. You think someone is going to be able to take the hundreds of pictures necessary for a VR recreation without authorization?

Worrying about this kind of stuff leading to terrorist attacks or robberies is pure illogical hysteria.

The kind of terrorist I'm worried about is the kind that builds bombs with plans found on the internet and puts them in random spots around the city I live in.

The kind of robber I'm worried about is the kind that kicks in doors and stabs people if the house isn't empty.

Last edited:
pj-, I have a buddy, prior Army intel, that would have responded in a similar fashion. There would have been a lot more cursing, but the content would have been similar :)

Valve office = dead empty... no wonder there are no games anymore...

Back