Valve is trollin... (HL2 update)

I could care less if valve releases HL3 now. They will NEVER EVER be able to make a game that lives up to the hype and expectations of all these years they have been trolling/teasing us. Now they are irrelevant to me as game devs. I dont really care for portal and L4D was decent with friends, DOTA 2 though is terrible. My good will for valve as a developer has almost died but I love what they have done with steam.

There is no hype for a HL3 game from anyone, especially Valve. Hype would be releasing some info, which Valve simply refuses to do.

Also, its "couldn't care less" ;)

be great if Valve just released HL3 with no advanced notice or marketing...just BAM! here it is for download...since it's not coming as a launch day release for the next-gen consoles (which would have made the long wait make some sort of sense) I'm not expecting it until late 2014 at the earliest

be great if Valve just released HL3 with no advanced notice or marketing...just BAM! here it is for download...since it's not coming as a launch day release for the next-gen consoles (which would have made the long wait make some sort of sense) I'm not expecting it until late 2014 at the earliest

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.

I didn't even think HL2 was that good. Never got through it.

<ducks>

I agree, I dont see all the hype. It was a decent game at best. Then again its probably all the nostalgia that people look foward to.

For its time I think it was a great game, the story kept you immersed and wanting to move ahead. It too bad they have left us off at such a cliffhanger for so long.

I've been a Valve and Blizzard fan for so long that I'm used to the "when it's finished" mantra. I will eagerly play all their games when released but have plenty of others to keep me busy in the mean time. Plus I have a feeling when "finally" HL3 is announced it will not disappoint.

HL2 was no Doom 3 but it was still a good game. Ep1 was also good. Ep2 was was just a wank for people who don't really like to play games but enjoy "stories".

I still bust out HL2 on occasion. With the graphics cranked, it honestly still looks good. While missing some modern engine features, some things actually look more realistic than Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and the like.

A lot of the acclaim that The Last of Us has gotten reminds me a bit of what Half-Life 2 did well.

I couldn't care less if valve releases HL3 now. They will NEVER EVER be able to make a game that lives up to the hype and expectations of all these years they have been trolling/teasing us. Now they are irrelevant to me as game devs. I dont really care for portal and L4D was decent with friends, DOTA 2 though is terrible. My good will for valve as a developer has almost died but I love what they have done with steam.

FTFY. My inner grammar Nazi comes out with that particular mistake.

In other news, nothing to see here folks, take your dreams of Half Life 3 somewhere else.

I agree, I dont see all the hype. It was a decent game at best. Then again its probably all the nostalgia that people look foward to.

They pretty much left it hanging at the end of Episode 2. So, it's more than just nostalgia, they need to complete the story.

HL2 was no Doom 3 but it was still a good game. Ep1 was also good. Ep2 was was just a wank for people who don't really like to play games but enjoy "stories".

You're right. It wasn't boring at all like Doom 3 and the infinite labs and bogeymen behind every door to the point where it was utterly predictable.

HL2 was no Doom 3 but it was still a good game.

what? Doom 3 was awful. I was so excited for that game...only to be greeted by...just ugh. And the supposed ID4 Tech was a joke. Q3 polys with high res textures and fancy lighting effects /twirlsfinger.

what? Doom 3 was awful. I was so excited for that game...only to be greeted by...just ugh. And the supposed ID4 Tech was a joke. Q3 polys with high res textures and fancy lighting effects /twirlsfinger.

It was clear that Doom 3 was trying to emulate System Shock 2 in a lot of ways, but failed the creepy and suspenseful part. In the end, it didn't capture enough Doom or enough SS2 to really shine, but was pretty solid otherwise.

It was clear that Doom 3 was trying to emulate System Shock 2 in a lot of ways, but failed the creepy and suspenseful part. In the end, it didn't capture enough Doom or enough SS2 to really shine, but was pretty solid otherwise.

SS2? Double-what?

the internet will explode the day they actually announce HL3...all this viral marketing is probably for another Left 4 Dead game

who cares anymore.. i bet it will suck anyways so many years they really dont seem to care for us either why should we then... all fat gabes fault.

be great if Valve just released HL3 with no advanced notice or marketing...just BAM! here it is for download...
+1 or release it under a different name and company... and you only find half way through that it's actually the HL3 game we were all waiting for... that would be slick... of course now I just spoiled it for everyone and Valve has to trash 5 years of work and start over again... sorry valve :p

Maybe the Borealis (at the end of HL2 episode 2) ended up in Korea? probably just language pack tweaking though....

if they had released Episode 3 or HL3 within a reasonable time people could forgive but now it pretty much needs to be the greatest game ever made to justify the long wait and people's inflated expectations...if this game doesn't use a virtual reality interface or advance graphics 10 years into the future this will be considered a disappointment

Haven't you figured it out yet? The fat man is secretly a sadist who hates gamers,the whole episodic idea and cliffhanger ending is his master plan to torment them. A few false clues here,a few cryptic teases there,he probably laughs maniacally every time these rumors start up. The truth is the game will never be made.

Because Valve makes quite a bit of moneys off of Steam, and they are not a publicly traded company, they really have no incentive to release Half Life 3. There's noone keeping tabs on their rate of growth or quarterly profits, so really Half life 3 is like a 'get out of jail free' card for them. If at any point they encounter financial strife, just announce Halflife 3 and BAM back in the black for them.

This had me fooled. I was installing windows 8 on a machine and had the entire steam library on another drive. But when I reinstalled steam it did not find all games, so normally I just tell it to install and it find the files and is done. But HL2 downloads, I keep cancelling it thinking something has to be wrong. I know I have the gcfs for HL2 right? In the end I gave up and let it install.

Back