UT3 timed exclusive for 2007 PS3/PC .

This month's magazine of EGM states that Sony's PS3 does not run UT2007 engine very well and that Sony is tipping Epic a "money hat" to ensure it works well on the PS3 by the time of release.

In the interview above Rein says its running better than GoW on the 360 was at this point last year... So either he or EGM are lying...

Of course this months articles were written last month. Wait to see the finished product.

Just saw the new trailer -- it's looking good. :) Hopefully they're doing a lot of in-house play-testing to tweak the multiplayer balancing.

hold up...

That article ^ you mentioned says nothing about running better or worse on the PS3 - only that the PS3 is not a "closed system" and so it's "ideal" for UT2007 since it will support the mods and downloads that the community produces without having to have microsoft approval on everything.

That's a total different statment then whether it runs better or not on PS3 vs. Xbox 360.

Check out this month's EGM. I tossed mine or I'd give you the page number. It says UT2007 isn't running like it should on the PS3 and Sony really wants that not to be the case --- so they are basically giving epic green to make sure that the PS3 version shines...

Check out this month's EGM. I tossed mine or I'd give you the page number. It says UT2007 isn't running like it should on the PS3 and Sony really wants that not to be the case --- so they are basically giving epic green to make sure that the PS3 version shines...
They pretty much said that in the Sony conference though. It's not really news and if you've seen the multiplatform games that use UE3 it's not really a surprise. That said, I know that if they put in the effort they'll get it running real nice.

That's a total different statment then whether it runs better or not on PS3 vs. Xbox 360.
Thats not the point of my post. We haven't even seen x360 version to make those kind of comments.

Your article on EGM seems to say it's running rather poorly on PS3 yet current hands on previews say otherwise.

This first-person shooter appears to be running quite well on the PlayStation 3, with plenty of graphical detail from top to bottom, all running at a good, firm frame rate.......the PS3 version looking to be on par with the PC version....

from http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6174560&pid=928371&tag=top_stories;title;4

And in the article i just posted is says:
We saw alternating gameplay sequences between the PC and PS3, and the PC version looked just a little bit crisper

"A little bit crisper" sounds closer than I expected. I would guess Epic is aiming for 720p 30 fps with "high" but not "ultra" detail on PS3 ?
The limited vram of both consoles will probably hurt the ultimate texture quality compared to PC.

What did gears of war run, 30 or 60 fps ?

Was going to get it for PC anyway. A twitch reflex game like UT should only be played on a PC if you're expecting to get the most out of it.

Was going to get it for PC anyway. A twitch reflex game like UT should only be played on a PC if you're expecting to get the most out of it.

since the ps3 ver has kb/m support, isn't that point kinda moot? right now the only difference between the 2 versions is the pc will more than likely look better (not to say the ps3 ver is gonna look like ass).

i was gonna get it for the pc, but it woulda been months after its released so i can build a decent pc. now i can get the game at launch and experience the game the way its meant to be played. feel sorry for 360 owners on this one tho. theyre really getting gimped

Feel the same way about it. The best experience most likely will be on the pc since thats what the series was made to be on. Without a keyboard and mouse on the ps3/xbox it will suck most likely. Limited motions and controls wouldn't be the true unreal. The game play would be slower with less action like counter strike. Some things just can't be done on a controller.

Feel the same way about it. The best experience most likely will be on the pc since thats what the series was made to be on. Without a keyboard and mouse on the ps3/xbox it will suck most likely. Limited motions and controls wouldn't be the true unreal. The game play would be slower with less action like counter strike. Some things just can't be done on a controller.

Ps3 is supporting mouse/kb play for this game.

since the ps3 ver has kb/m support, isn't that point kinda moot? right now the only difference between the 2 versions is the pc will more than likely look better (not to say the ps3 ver is gonna look like ass).

i was gonna get it for the pc, but it woulda been months after its released so i can build a decent pc. now i can get the game at launch and experience the game the way its meant to be played. feel sorry for 360 owners on this one tho. theyre really getting gimped

I should've rephrased that. It's not only the twitch reflexes (and I don't have interest in buying some expensive bluetooth addons just to play UT on PS3) it's also that the engine has potential for some great mods (which the PC can bring).

I should've rephrased that. It's not only the twitch reflexes (and I don't have interest in buying some expensive bluetooth addons just to play UT on PS3) it's also that the engine has potential for some great mods (which the PC can bring).

Pretty much any standard headset works with the PS3 including those cheap $14.00 USB headsets

edit:
I think it's safe to say that a PS3 will run better then that pc in your sig. or hello 800x600

You don't have to buy any Bluetooth add-ons; just use that USB mouse you're using right now at your computer. Plug it into your PS3 and go. Same goes for keyboard -- any USB keyboard should work.

The PS3 version will have support for user-created mods in the same way the PC version does. Mods created for the PC will be able to be played on the PS3 without any changes -- just download, install, and go. No need to create a "PS3" version of the mod or anything.

I suppose if I had a high-end 8800 I could get a little better PQ on my PC than on my PS3, but I don't feel like dropping a bunch of cash getting a new video card when I need to upgrade my POS PSU and CPU also (UT's infamous for being CPU-intensive). So for me, PS3 version at launch. Maybe PC version eventually, after I upgrade (whenever that is).

The PS3 version will have support for user-created mods in the same way the PC version does. Mods created for the PC will be able to be played on the PS3 without any changes -- just download, install, and go. No need to create a "PS3" version of the mod or anything.

Some peoples idea of a mod; is a new map or skin, others think of taping a flashlight to the end of their gun like Doom3, and other think of full conversions like CS or Red Orchestra.. All can be called mods I suppose..

Whatever they are saying about transferring mods from one platform to the other..
I am thinking that:
Maps and skins--- Yes, easily transferable..
New game types--- Maybe, sometimes..
Full conversions--- Prolly not, at least not without direct intervention from Epic, or Sony..

I guess we will have to see just how transferable these things are..

Some peoples idea of a mod; is a new map or skin, others think of taping a flashlight to the end of their gun like Doom3, and other think of full conversions like CS or Red Orchestra.. All can be called mods I suppose..

Whatever they are saying about transferring mods from one platform to the other..
I am thinking that:
Full conversions--- Prolly not, at least not without direct intervention from Epic, or Sony..

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161186

Straight from Mark Rein's mouth. Pretty much any mod created for the PC can be be played on the PS3. :)

I am thinking that:

Bingo, I said that earlier in the thread. I don't think we'll be seeing anything thing other than the basics.

My idea of mods is like you were saying the full conversion. I don't really see maps and add ons as mods. To me the full conversion mods will have trouble converting over. If sony doesn't setup servers for those full conversion mods then its pointless if they lock out the pc vs ps3. We already know they might have a few adds on servers and stuff or not even that just the plain game. The only way i see ps3 getting any type of content from the pc is if the ps3 can connect to a pc server. Not so sure about the mods for the ps3. For mods there usually always has to be different versions made for each platform. Theres always a windows version then they have to recode it for the mac or linux. I can understand if ps3 was running windows but it isn't so i think in order for any mod to come to the ps3 it will have to be redone for it most likely. From the looks of it from the past with lots of full conversion mods i played on quake 3 and ut and others. It takes along time to convert over. Most don't even make it from my experience.

Don't modders creating mods with Unreal Editor use a proprietary high-level Unreal scripting language? If that's the case, the Unreal Script interfaces with the Unreal engine at a high level, using abstractions to represent lower-level hardware functions that would automatically be taken care of by the different versions of the Unreal engine that interface with the different types of hardware.

So while there would be a 360 version of the Unreal engine, a PC version of the Unreal engine, and a PS3 version of the Unreal engine, each of which would give different outputs to the different lower layers of their respective hardware clients, all versions of the Unreal engine could be set up to take identical inputs in the form of a uniform Unreal Scripting language.

It's certainly do-able, and would act something like a hardware abstraction layer used for portability (sorta like SDL or GLUT acts, but probably different in implementation).

Well anyway, we know maps have already been confirmed to be transferable, so let's cross our fingers for the other stuff too eh? ;)

Bingo, I said that earlier in the thread. I don't think we'll be seeing anything thing other than the basics.

We could be wrong..

But the tools used to make full conversions usually go past just using Unreal Ed, (though it is one of the most powerful/useful modding tools ever included for free with the purchase of a game).. Some full conversions use a separate .exe.. Which would require porting to be done to move it to a different platform or OS..

We will have to see...

lol what i meant was like if they don't allow pc vs ps3 gaming then the ps3 might not see servers for a full conversion mod since sonys servers are most likely going to run the default game with no mods. I'm not sure if its like dreamcast for the ps3 where u can be the server but if they don't allow pc/ps3 to play against each other then the full conversion mods are screwed. Usually the miniature mods that only modify the code alittle allow you to play a modified server with no need to download the mod so we might see those for the ps3 if it doesn't allow full blown access to pc servers.

The full conversion mods is what drove the engine and the games of UT basically :)

Most mods go deeper than Unreal Ed? Perhaps Unreal Ed is not as powerful as I thought. :confused: So this must be what Epic is working on.

The separate .exe is not a problem for portability. :) Editing engine parameters, levels, character models, etc. should be able to be done inside Unreal Ed, and depending on the target platform, it will create the appropriate binary file. No matter how much the mod has changed, it is still the Unreal Engine at its core, and so as long as each platform can interface with the Unreal Engine (of course they all will ;) ), the mods should transfer over nicely. This is the function of the abstraction layer I was talking about in my last post.

Now if modders are actually going down into the source code of the Unreal Engine and modifying the structure of the engine (like say, Doom 3 -> Quake Wars), not just modifying engine parameters (HL -> CS), then that's a pretty big problem. :O It's no longer the Unreal Engine. It's some kind of... new mutant engine. :D LOL no just kidding. But Epic will have to make the Unreal Editor more powerful so that modders aren't forced to dive to such a low-level approach.

I wonder if there will be a server build that allows you to host a server from any PC like WARHAWK.

Should be dedicated server files for both linux and windows most likely. I remember all the unreals had them :)

I'll probably play it on the PS3, just because I can't afford to build a new PC for this game. I don't understand why people think you can't use your PS3 like a PC. Its smaller than most PC towers, can sit in the space of your CPU and hook up to your moniter, KB&Mouse and you basically have a PC with a Sony logo on it. I see no problem playing a PS3 like a PC.

You mean using any keyboard and mouse that they happen to have around the house?

so you're saying i should sit on my floor about 3 ft. away from my 55" dlp to play UT3 on PS3?

no thx. i'll just play it on my PC

so you're saying i should sit on my floor about 3 ft. away from my 55" dlp to play UT3 on PS3?

no thx. i'll just play it on my PC

Is your PS3 magically glued to your DLP?:D I guess if you hooked up your pc to your DLP, that would be the same problem, right?

Jesus. At that distance, the game would cover... ~70 degrees field of vision. Sensory overload. :D Primary visual cortex... BSODing... :eek:

I'll probably play it on the PS3, just because I can't afford to build a new PC for this game. I don't understand why people think you can't use your PS3 like a PC. Its smaller than most PC towers, can sit in the space of your CPU and hook up to your moniter, KB&Mouse and you basically have a PC with a Sony logo on it. I see no problem playing a PS3 like a PC.

So it's like a Vaio? :p

Having a bluetooth keyboard and mouse is awesome. I could play it up to 30 feet away from the TV... not that my TV is big enough to do that...

I will be getting this on my PS3 since I do not do the PC gaming with desktop thing anymore. I might have to look into that playing with bluetooth keyboard 30 feet away since i have the means to do it, haha

both should be pretty similar consider both will have M&KB support and mod support. PC most likely better graphically though, but that will probably cost more money.

Hmmm, I doubt the pc version of the game will cost more than the ps3 version.

PC versions are usually 50 dollars so i'm sure about it being more expensive. It might be cheaper. Not sure yet :)

Back