• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UT3. So how is it?

I don't buy into the whole "there are too many AAA titles, Unreal gets overlooked". Bullshit, that may be the case on some lesser known, non huge franchise games, but this is Unreal Tournament we're talking about here. This is the game that helped define online FPS's, this is the franchise where every PC gamer has fond memories of.

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, to see that at this moment, according to serverspy, UT 3 has only 496 people playing? Halo has more people playing online... hell, UT 99 AND 2004 have more people playing online!!

I think there is nothing wrong with the timing of the launch, I think it's just that Epic rushed this game out, and they felt the Unreal name would simply buy them some time to fix it while everyone rushed out to get it.

Call of Duty 4 flattened and annihilated this game, and I don't think UT 3 will ever recover. Years from now we will look at UT 3 as one of the biggest disappointments of the year.

And FYI, I enjoyed the demo, but this game seems dead in the water and I'll just get CoD 4.

Also, it seems Crysis MP sucks too, only 433 people playing lol.
I dont know about the game being rushed, it seemed like the game kept getting pushed further and further back. The game also looks and runs beautifully, the problem is nobody got this game for whatever reason. The casual fan doesn't know about ut3 but they are all over call of duty. Also maybe the fact that its more of the same but i think for the ut fan, that is a good thing.

The game is extremely difficult, it has always been a top tier skill game. However now that very few are playing, it seems like the ones that do have it are all pros. Which I think would be a heavy turn off for the noobie.
 
I dont know about the game being rushed, it seemed like the game kept getting pushed further and further back. The game also looks and runs beautifully, the problem is nobody got this game for whatever reason. The casual fan doesn't know about ut3 but they are all over call of duty. Also maybe the fact that its more of the same but i think for the ut fan, that is a good thing.

The game is extremely difficult, it has always been a top tier skill game. However now that very few are playing, it seems like the ones that do have it are all pros. Which I think would be a heavy turn off for the noobie.

If anything its most of the pro's who are refusing to pick up UT3 because of the multitude of issues people have with this latest iteration.
 
If anything its most of the pro's who are refusing to pick up UT3 because of the multitude of issues people have with this latest iteration.
Besides the user interface and maybe the change from onslaught to warfare, what problems?
 
I dont know about the game being rushed, it seemed like the game kept getting pushed further and further back. The game also looks and runs beautifully, the problem is nobody got this game for whatever reason. The casual fan doesn't know about ut3 but they are all over call of duty. Also maybe the fact that its more of the same but i think for the ut fan, that is a good thing.

The game is extremely difficult, it has always been a top tier skill game. However now that very few are playing, it seems like the ones that do have it are all pros. Which I think would be a heavy turn off for the noobie.

The casual fan wouldn't really have a PC capable of running UT 3 ;)

I feel the game was rushed... Epic changed the name because they seemed pretty sure the game wouldn't ship in 2007, and yet, lo and behold, they seemed to have rushed out an incomplete version that is missing little features like ping.

Almost every Epic interview was "Don't expect to see this in 2007!" yet it seems they rushed it out at the last minute for whatever reason.

Honestly, UT 3 should be drawing bigger numbers than all of it's competitors, but it's not, it's not even drawing bigger numbers than Halo in terms of people playing, or even UT 99 or 2004.
 
It does sadden me that I only see 10 servers with 3-8 people playing on each at a time. I thought the UT fanbase was going to grow even larger with this game, but it seems to have turned off Epic fans. I myself, love the game! It really sucks I keep playing the same people over and over.
 
If anything its most of the pro's who are refusing to pick up UT3 because of the multitude of issues people have with this latest iteration.

Exactly. Hop on a server right now, and try to play a game of CTF. There's hardly anyone on, and the ones that are have no clue what they are doing. They are running around trying to death match, and asking questions like "What key brings out my translocator?". It's nothing but noobs.

Tons of people bought this game... and tons of people were heavily disappointed and are not playing it because of all the issues, especially the "Pros". All the competitive players I've talked with from my clan, and other clans, have went back to UT2k4 already, or are playing CoD4 like I am doing instead.
 
have you tried vehicle capture the flag...

I see plenty of 24 / 32 player games, and other servers for those that prefer smaller teams.
 
Besides the user interface and maybe the change from onslaught to warfare, what problems?

I have to agree I don't see too many problems with the game. The only problem I see is they took away assault. The change from onslaught to warfare isn't really a bad change in my eyes. I also couldn't care less about the user interface, I see it for a whole 10 seconds before I load in a server....i don't see how it could kill the enjoyment of a game.

I'm having a blast playing ut3 just like i did the other 3, and I actually noticed more people and full servers this weekend than previous since the game released. So the community is growing, albeit slowly.
 
I was going to pick up UT3, but instead decided upon Orange Box.

Damn TF2 is hella fun. And this is coming from a die hard TDM/TAM player from UT2k4
 
I was going to pick up UT3, but instead decided upon Orange Box.

Damn TF2 is hella fun. And this is coming from a die hard TDM/TAM player from UT2k4

I just got paid last friday and for the first time in a while had a little cash to spend. I just picked up the Orange Box a few days ago, and just played Portal for the first time last night. I know I'm late to the party, but tis a lot of fun!
 
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41038

Surprise surprise....the PS3 version has the exact same UI as the PC version. :rolleyes:

And for an update on player count.....200 people worldwide are currently playing UT3. The online community is shrinking at an exponential rate

lol you posted that at 3am EST on a Tuesday morning, that takes out most of the US - it's a school night, it's college exam week, and I work for a living. I played from 8pm-11pm last night and there were plenty of servers and people. And at the times I play, I only see the number of people playing increasing.
 
Excellent, a patch! Hopefully we'll get some more servers up too...I still believe UT!! :p:p
 
The 1.1 patch is now out.

Yay, now my Dedicated Server works behind my Router. Wonderful, just wonderful.

If anyone was curious to know what the patch changed...


Code:
Gameplay:

- Fixed scaling of certain player meshes (increased in size some human and robot meshes).  Addresses meshes being smaller than collision box, as well as eyeheight issues.

- Fixed feigning death into/through ForcedDirVolumes.

- Fixed grenade effects in water.

- Increased hellbender rear turret damage.

- Reduced Goliath machine gun spread, plus slight damage increase.

- Fixed warfare scoring for locking down a prime node not called "prime node".

- Slightly increased momentum taken from damage by mantas and vipers.

- Flak, Rocket, and Shock do slightly more damage to manta and viper.

- Made sure Hellfire SPMA cannon can't fire through walls.

- Increased incoming SPMA fire sound radius.

- Fixed impact jumping with hoverboard.

- Fixed bot Pawns losing their PRI at the end of the match, causing them to, among other things, be invisible

- Fixed being able to switch away from the rocket launcher in the delay between the third rocket being loaded and the weapon autofiring.

- Players now stop moving when they fire the Redeemer guided warhead

- Fixed weapon crosshair incorrectly turning red when hit enemy on the client, but not on the server.

- Disabled attenuation/spatialization on mission briefing sounds.

- Fixed stats being recorded for spectators

 

AI:

- Improved bot AI with darkwalker.

- Tweaked bot voice message frequencies.

- Bot aiming tweaks.

- Fixed bots attacking friendly player in rare cases when that player recently stole an enemy vehicle.

- Fixed bots not handling the "Hold This Position" order correctly when the player giving the order is in a multi-person vehicle.

 

Demo playback:

- Fixed demo playback not ending/looping correctly when the demo ends due to the DemoRecSpectator being destroyed before the end of the file is reached.

- Demos can now be paused.

- By default, demo playback now runs at full speed and interpolates in between demo frames using the normal client simulation code. The old frame-locked method is still available by passing ?disallowinterp. Timedemos are unaffected by this change.

- Fixed demoplay URL parsing counting the options as part of the filename unless an extension was specified in the demo name

- Added a "Delete Demo" button to the demo playback menu.

- Demo playback now properly handles rotation when viewing a Pawn in first person.

- Fixed looking around while spectating a vehicle.

 

Server Browser:

- Implemented "Server History" tab page in server browser, with ability to "lock" favorites on that page.

- Added 'Join as spectator' feature.

- Server browser uses smaller font to display more servers.

- Fixed custom mutators not appearing in server browser.

- Fixed custom gametypes not displayed in server browser's window.

- Fixed server browser's listed MaxPlayers being incorrect.

- Added filter option for dedicated servers.

- Fixed server browser showing an incorrect goal score and time limit when the .ini values were used.

- Fixed incorrect mutators appearing in server browser details if client & server are not using the same language

 

User Interface:

- Can now save settings/progress even if have never created a profile.

- Added ping and connect time to scoreboard.

- Removed annoying confirmation menu when starting a game.

- Removed unnecessary top settings page (can use tabs at the top of the settings to navigate).

- Added a Messages tab to the mid game menu.

- Friends messages now saved until explicitly deleted.

- Finer control over mouse sensitivity, using an edit box instead of a slider.

- Added framerate smoothing and FOV options to the advanced video menu.

- Increased max players/bots in menus to 32.

- Fixed auto switching to vote menu at end of match.

- Improved mid game menu performance (don't render world behind it).

- Added version number to main menu.

- Fixed binding gamepad/joystick keys (you must set AllowJoystickInput=1 in the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] of your UTEngine.ini to enable gamepads/joysticks).

- Filter settings are now saved to the .ini file

- Pure and Locked filter options now default to "Any"

- Fixed flickering when downloading files

- Fixed up the GDF project for Vista

 

HUD:

- Added the killer weapon to victim messages.

- Fixed flag and orb scaling in minimap at high resolutions.

- Fixed node teleporter not showing "You can't teleport with orb" message on clients.

- Fixed situations where "get in vehicle" pictograph wouldn't work correctly.

- Still draw the clock on the scoreboard after the game is over.

- Fixed Duel HUD issues.

- Added the ability to specify custom simple crosshair coordinates for weapons, with new config properties bUseCustomCoordinates and CustomCrosshairCoordinates.

     To change the crosshair used for all weapons, add the following lines to the [utweapon] section of the UTWeapon.ini file:

     bUseCustomCoordinates=true
     CustomCrosshairCoordinates=(U=276,V=84,UL=22,VL=25)

     where the CustomCrosshairCoordinates have U and V as the offsets into the crosshair texture (UI_HUD.HUD.UTCrosshairs), and UL and VL specify the size of the texture area to use.

     To use a different crosshair for a specific weapon, simply add those two lines to the appropriate weapon specific section in UTWeapon.ini.

 

Networking:

- Implemented STUN support (Simple Traversal of UDP Through Network Address Translators) to enable clients and servers to connect from behind a NAT. 

- Fixed team scores very rarely not updating for a client.

- Fixed bot faction option when running a listen server.

- Fixed link setup not reset correctly when going from a map with a custom link setup to one using the default.

- Fixed a case where Duel would place an incoming player on the wrong team when some players were still travelling.

- Bullseye stats are now properly recorded.

- Fixed clients not travelling to downloaded maps correctly.

- Fixed the client and server getting into a loop sending each other close messages in some situations.

- Quick match incorporates player rating into search decision.

- Fixed issue where Vista clients would not receive all servers from a server browser search.

- Applied proper fix to suppressing voice on dedicated servers.

- Fixed issues with players not getting on right team in Duel and Duel+Survival if a player leaves in certain timing windows during map transitions.

- Fixed previous level PRIs showing up on the scoreboard/leaderboard after the client travels (making it look like players have already scored lots of points when those clients are in fact still loading)

- Fixed losing your custom character mesh after changing teams during a match.

- Fixed HTTP redirection for mod autodownloading

- Fixed autodownloaded mods not being loaded correctly in some cases

- Fixed orb rebuilding not being played correctly on clients if the orb was destroyed by an enemy player 

- Implemented DUEL match stat reporting for gamespy ladder

- Fixed "open" console command not working when an Internet server address is specified

- Added "BecomeActive" exec to switch from spectator to player

 

Server Administration:

- Reduced tick rate for dedicated servers with no clients (saves CPU on idle servers).

- Dedicated servers do not require CD keys.

- Added -configsubdir= command line option to cause .ini files to be loaded/saved from the specified subdirectory of Game\Config\

- Added QueryPort configuration and command line option.

- Added an "AdminChangeOption [option] [value]" console command for server admins. This allows changing most simple .ini values (e.g. GoalScore) from the client. This command will not override URL options. The change will take effect after the next map change.

- Added an "AdminPublishMapList" console command for server admins. This overrides the server's map list for the current game type with the one on the client that used the command.

- Uses GameReplicationInfo.ServerName if set for the name of the server on the server browser.

- Added "AdminForceVoiceMute" and "AdminForceVoiceUnMute": Stops/Starts a player from sending voip to others 

- Added "AdminForceTextMut" and "AdminForceTextUnMute": Stops/Starts a player from send text messages to others

- Updated AdminPlayerList to show the PlayerID of the players on the server.

- Updated Kick/Ban to allow for using either the player name or the id

- Fixed servers advertising as the wrong gametype if the gametype is changed without restarting the server

- Added new IdleServerTickRate property to IpDrv.TcpNetDriver. If not set, IdleServerTickRate defaults to MaxTickRate. Can be set to lower values to reduce server CPU utilization when 0 players. Reported ping will increase if set lower.

 

Map Specific

- Fixed WAR-Avalanche terrain LOD popping issue on high end PCs.

- Fixed bots rarely getting stuck in mid air in DM-Gateway in the city section.

- Fixed some VCTF-Suspense pathing issues.

- Fixed issues with circular lift on DM-Deimos.

- Fixed translucent mesh sorting issues in DM-Gateway.

- Fixed various map collision bugs

- Improved bot AI with Leviathan in Torlan

 

Campaign/Co-op:

- Fixed a bug that could cause too many bots to be added to co-op matches in some cases.

- Added support for seamless travel interrupting a travel to start another travel. This fixes single player breaking if the host selects the next mission before the clients have finished travelling to the mission selection level

- Fixed extra copy of a character when a human player leaves a co-op game at the right time.

- Changed network loss during single player to result in player signed in locally.

 

Modding:

- Added a SupportedGameTypes field to UTUIDataProvider_Mutator. If some entries are in this array, the mutator will only be visible in the menus if the selected gametype is found in the array.

- Fixed custom gametype midgame menus not being used correctly.

- Shipping script compiler now allows localized/config defaultproperties because otherwise autodownloaded mods have no way for their localized/config variables to work.

- Added Get/SetSpecialValue() stubs to Object to allow mods to expose values that can be modified without creating a dependancy.

- Added support for custom gametypes showing up on their own in the server browser. The game class needs to implement UpdateGameSettings() and call GameSettings.SetStringSettingValue() to set CONTEXT_GAME_MODE to CONTEXT_GAME_MODE_CUSTOM. Then, in the gametype's menu .ini data, set GameSearchClass to "UTGameSearchCustom".

- Fixed cooking a map sometimes deleting all other mod files in the Published directory

- Fixed bPostRenderIfNotVisible flag
 
I tried playing this game again today, and I can barely make it half an hour before getting bored or tired or something.
 
I had a 1305 "replace the broken disc copy" error so I loaded up CoD4.

I'm not really a fan of single-player missions but I played this one just about straight through.

Great cinematics, fun weapons / combat / movement. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Now back to Microcenter to trade out the defective disc (I hope).
 
Wait til you try COD4's multi!! :eek:

Had a mini LAN w/ 4 guys yesterday and it's def going to be on my playlist for some time.
 
I tried playing this game again today, and I can barely make it half an hour before getting bored or tired or something.
The only thing I find boring about this game is that all the f****** Manta noobs appear to have migrated from UT2K4. Takes Manta noobing to a whole new level when they're off before you can grapple, let alone jump on the f***** :p F****** assholes. *And exhale*.....

On a positive note, I'm beginning to love Warfare - after quite some time of hating it for not being ONS.
 
I was a little disappointed in the game simply because it's so much like the previous version I didn't feel like I was playing anything new.
 
I personally loved Unreal 2K3 and 2K4 for there fast gameplay extreme twitch gameplay. Since the dodge jump is gone, the game feels just like any other mediocre game. The lightning gun is gone as well, but i can live without that.

I've stuck with UT2K4 until i have a reason to switch.
 
It plays pretty much like all the other UT games. It can be either good or bad depending on how you look at it. I had a blast with 2K3, and this seems to be just as good, with much, much more visual panache and flair.

Now when are you going to do Unreal 3, Epic (and not those tossers at Legend that ruined U2)? :D
 
I personally loved Unreal 2K3 and 2K4 for there fast gameplay extreme twitch gameplay. Since the dodge jump is gone, the game feels just like any other mediocre game. The lightning gun is gone as well, but i can live without that.

I've stuck with UT2K4 until i have a reason to switch.

Gonna reinstall 2k4.
 
If patch 1.2 doesn't fix the game's major flaws unfortunately the amount of players and servers will gradually go down. It's really too bad because I'm really having a blast playing it. Unfortunately as others have said you usually know everyone you play and their skill level because the community is so small. The servers seem unstable though, crashing at least 1-2 times a day in my experience which can get annoying. Comon Epic we're all waiting..
 
I posted the link to the beta patch in the other UT3 thread... so when you say "come on epic, we're waiting" you could be playing with the new patch and providing feedback =)

it was leaked last friday around midnight.
 
Why beta test when I can just load up COD4?

I'm a huge fan of UT2K4, but UT3 just felt incredibly unpolished compared to GoW...
 
The game feels much smoother with the new patch. However the interface is still shit, chatting in game is a joke, you might as well alt+tab out and use MSN. I never got into UT2K4 that much but now that I know the omission of "dodge jump" seems criminal. I do however remember the flak gun owned in 2k4 and it seems pretty wimpy in UT3 as others said. Still it is UT and for some reason there's nothin like ownin it up and hearing that booming announcer boost your adrenalin. Here's to hoping they continue to fix the interface
 
After playing World In Conflict for the first time last night I was pleasantly reminded of what a UI should be like, navigating their menu was simple and easy and it was functionally complete. (more than complete actually, they even have a toggle for colour blind people)

My 2nd most predominant thought besides how good it was, was the contrast to how fucking awful the UT3 one was, and then proceeded to uninstall UT3 out of disgust for getting the most basic things so utterly wrong.

Epic if you're reading this you've shamed yourself by going from the masterpiece of UT99 to this complete rubbish, just sever your ties with PC gaming all together and bog off to console country, you will not be missed.
 
Why beta test when I can just load up COD4?

I'm a huge fan of UT2K4, but UT3 just felt incredibly unpolished compared to GoW...

we get it, you like COD4. for everybody bitching about the interface... do you actually play the game, or just sit around crying over the menu ? I probably see the interface all of 30 seconds before logging in multiple hours of game play. I loved the gran tourismo series back when I played consoles, now that was a bad interface. It took exactly 13 button inputs just to stop and replay the same track again. But I didn t jump on the internet and cry, I said to myself "wow this interface could be better" and got on with my life, enjoying the game... which was awesome. As is UT3.
 
we get it, you like COD4. for everybody bitching about the interface... do you actually play the game, or just sit around crying over the menu ? I probably see the interface all of 30 seconds before logging in multiple hours of game play. I loved the gran tourismo series back when I played consoles, now that was a bad interface. It took exactly 13 button inputs just to stop and replay the same track again. But I didn t jump on the internet and cry, I said to myself "wow this interface could be better" and got on with my life, enjoying the game... which was awesome. As is UT3.

Now THAT was well said! Sick, sick, SICK of people moaning about an interface. You guys'll be the f****** death of me - please, just play the game & leave the 'interface gaming' to 'Rainman'.
 
Now THAT was well said! Sick, sick, SICK of people moaning about an interface. You guys'll be the f****** death of me - please, just play the game & leave the 'interface gaming' to 'Rainman'.

Those of us who paid 50 dollars for the game deserve some kind of entertainment.

It's not our fault that it's more fun to bitch about the interface on an internet forum than it is to actually play the game :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, I'm sorry, but UT3 is honestly one of the saddest PC interfaces I have ever seen, and what upsets me even more is that this in fact is the company that made the previous UT games that I love so much.

UT2k4 is still my UT of choice for now.
 
Yeah, I'm sorry, but UT3 is honestly one of the saddest PC interfaces I have ever seen, and what upsets me even more is that this in fact is the company that made the previous UT games that I love so much.

UT2k4 is still my UT of choice for now.

Would take all of a week to fix it as well, thats what's so incredibly infuriating about this stupid situation, so many of UT3's initial faults could have been fixed in a few weeks of testing and fixing.

Had they done that when the demo was out and the feedback from the community chorused "fix it" then the final game would not have had this problem, yet it's still here, still glaringly crap.
 
Would take all of a week to fix it as well, thats what's so incredibly infuriating about this stupid situation, so many of UT3's initial faults could have been fixed in a few weeks of testing and fixing.

Had they done that when the demo was out and the feedback from the community chorused "fix it" then the final game would not have had this problem, yet it's still here, still glaringly crap.

Exactly. It just seems like they didnt do any testing on the UI at all, and just stuck it on there because they needed to get the game done. But instead of listening to the community on the forums, the moderators delete topics and ban users that post any critical issues.
 
Back
Top