• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

UT3. So how is it?

I think that's partially just Epic's art direction. Besides, Gears is probably the most successful game they've ever had. I think it's odd how "squared and squat" everyone seems, but I don't mind the environment. I'd still appreciate a level that doesn't seem like it's in a wasteland, though.

thats what i mean. i want a cool futuristic style. SHARP. like 04 and 99....maybe i would enjoy the game if i could max the settings and get steady frames....
 
My biggest problem is that they tried to make a single player experience based around a plot using just their multiplayer maps. Not only that, but they don't bring back any of the old maps that we're used to. And is it me, or are the vehicles a lot more powerful than they used to be?
 
My biggest problem is that they tried to make a single player experience based around a plot using just their multiplayer maps. Not only that, but they don't bring back any of the old maps that we're used to. And is it me, or are the vehicles a lot more powerful than they used to be?

Some..yes, dear god some are.

--

Side question: Is there a [Hard] Clan for UT3 going around yet? I'd like to get in on that action.
 
--

Side question: Is there a [Hard] Clan for UT3 going around yet? I'd like to get in on that action.

when the demo came out, I made a feeler post. I had 3 people say they were interested out of like 100 views.

I put my clan as [H], feel free to put me on your friend list. I game with the same name (burnin8r)
 
This game is a world class turd. First of all it has no community support at all. Nobody is playing it. I can count the number of Warfare servers that are viable on one hand. It is pathetic.

Second of all, the weapons suck. Each one is more useless than the next.

The game modes suck. Capture the flag is the only one I like. The Warfare maps just plain suck and are a confusing messy borefest. It isn't like UT2004 where you felt like you were part of a cohesive team with an objective. The way the maps are set up you wind up just running around byyourself until you get run over by a vehicle. I have yet to find one map that I like, and none of hte UT2004 maps are included.

Visually, the game is terrible. THey are using some kind of level of detail bias that washes everything in the distance out to save framerates and it makes everything just look terrible. It is just an ugly game.

It is glitchy and crashes. The user interface is pathetic.

Everything that gave UT2004 depth has been taken out. Vehicle weapons that used to charge up now just don't anymore. The link feature of the link gun has been nerfed to such a degree that it isn't fun to use anymore. It is almost like they went through a checklist of all the little twists that made UT2004 cool and took them out of this game.

Not to mention it just is not fun. It is a frusterating slog of a game. I'd return it if I could.

I'm sorry but the people defending this game are either fanboys or crap apologists with an agenda. I've been playing these games long enough to spot one that is little more than a greedy money sucking turd and this is one. This is a new installment just for the sake of having a new installment--not an improvement in anyway.

I could almost forgive this game for its stupidity if it was actually nice to look at, but it is an ugly, fuzzy washed out mess, even with 4x anti-aliasing.

It sucks in every way a game can suck.
 
Well I loved UT2004, and I am loving UT3. The SP story was lame-o (the cut sceens were pretty well done though). Warfare and Vehicle CTF are what I usually play online. Torlan is a map that seems popular online (it was a good map in UT2004, and the UT3 version is stil pretty good), and Sandstorm is fun in an annoying sort of way.

I play at 1600x1200 and it is smooth as glass with everything maxed out. The textures could be a big higher res though, and many the of the graphics effects you do not really see unless you look close. Only had one CTD so far, so no complaints here.

I do miss the FPS-like view from vehicles that you could have in UT2004. I haven't figured out how to replicate it in UT3 yet. And I found the vehicles well balanced, and not that hard to take out unless caught in the open.

Definately a great fast paced game.
 
Great game, looks great. People saying it looks washed out or doesn't look good don't know enough to look closer. Shoot near a wall. You'll see what I mean.
 
Seriously, never decide weither a game is good from the DEMO. Only coplaint is the browser but hey, it will be fixed.

The game is AWESOME, the first game in a while where I play and notice how many hours I've wasted. Game just flies by when I'm having fun. Game feels like old ones, AWESOME graphics. The levels are hella fun, I actually feel like I'm better at this UT than other other ones I've played. I'm usually top 3 scorer in DM. Guns feel great, alot of good compeitions. I played with one guy yesterday who was INSANE. He had 30 kills with 1 death. I have a feeling alot of the old school ut99 players will enjoy this game ALOT.

Great Job on the game Epic, now just release the UI patch. :cool:

QFT... along with the others of the same opinion.

I think it's great, and it looks excellent on my system. Gameplay is highly enjoyable, visuals are excellent and everything feels very balanced to me. I'm personally enjoying it a lot, as is my wife who is currently starting to hone her FPS skillz ;)
 
I'm sorry but the people defending this game are either fanboys or crap apologists with an agenda. I've been playing these games long enough to spot one that is little more than a greedy money sucking turd and this is one. This is a new installment just for the sake of having a new installment--not an improvement in anyway.

I could almost forgive this game for its stupidity if it was actually nice to look at, but it is an ugly, fuzzy washed out mess, even with 4x anti-aliasing.

It sucks in every way a game can suck.

or maybe there are people with different opinions than yours that actually like the game? I loved UT and 2k3, never really got into 2k4, but I really like UT3. UT3 feels more like the classic UT than 2k3 or 2k4 did for me.

I do agree with you that the community is lacking, but with the massive amount of games that came out in Nov. I'm not really surprised.
 
Is there a thread somewhere for [H] UT3 logins so we can buddy up?

I'm FlashIV
 
Good point, just got the beta patch so hoping the game runs a little smoother. My player name is anitqueROSE, I'll start a thread too.
 
Do you think the community is going to grow like say after christmas? I noticed that there are hardly alot of people playing online compared to UT04 when it got released. I know these last 2 months were pretty exciting in game releases so im hoping it will pick up once people get done playing the games they brought before this game.
 
This is exactly my concern. There is no community support and I don't think it is going to grow. The community support for the game right now is about the same as it was for UT2004 AT THE END OF ITS LIFE. You could probably find more viable Quake 3 Arena servers than UT3 servers. That is unheard of for a game like this. I don't care how many great games are out, there should be more than 5 viable Warfare servers.

I don't think I've ever seen a game with such a weak launch.
 
Do you think the community is going to grow like say after christmas? I noticed that there are hardly alot of people playing online compared to UT04 when it got released. I know these last 2 months were pretty exciting in game releases so im hoping it will pick up once people get done playing the games they brought before this game.

If the community doesn't grow after the patch comes out, the future for UT3 will be looking pretty bleak.

I've purchased every Unreal Tournament opening day... and this is the worst opening run I've seen compared to every one prior.

Same for CoD4... opening day was filled with players... and by the second week, the community more than doubled! Infinity Ward did something right obviously, where as EPIC has done something obviously wrong this time around.

It's not like there is lack of interest in UT... everyone has been awaiting this game for years and TONS of us have purchased it... but aren't playing. I have many "theories" as to why so many people aren't playing it... but I am sure you've seen these opinions shared in every UT3 thread out there right now. The community has spoken... a LOT... and EPIC doesn't seem to want to listen very much.
 
Same for CoD4... opening day was filled with players... and by the second week, the community more than doubled! Infinity Ward did something right obviously, where as EPIC has done something obviously wrong this time around.

I believe that its just the fact that main stream gamers flock to games like COD4. (And theres actually advertising for COD4, where as I havent seen anything for UT.) People enjoy games like COD4 where they can spray and pray and all that, where as the same people go into a game of deathmatch in UT and get raped by some guy dodging off a wall nailing a headshot with a sniper rifle with 150/199 health and the damage amp.
 
I've actually been doing things AFK and hadn't really noticed the new releases until I was poking around at Microcenter. Ooo CoD4 looks good; wait there's TF2; and Crysis. UT3? Really? Cool.

I'll be grabbing it since I just heard from the Mrs that she's not getting me any computer games (helpful to know so I'm not holding off so people have something to give me - green light).

I really enjoyed UT99 and 2k4 less so. A nice 'up the middle' would be good. I'm concerned about lack of players - lots of good competition from these other games.

I guess I'll get adequate framerate from my rig at 19*12 right?
 
I bought my laptop (Asus G1S) for this game.

And the game is DEAD online.

It is SUNDAY NIGHT in CHICAGO, and I am finding only 1 (one) Warfare server with enough people (5?) and a ping lower than 100 (one hundred).

No one knows how to play, no one seems to care, and it appears to be the same map over and over again.

Should I reinstall UT2004?

The user interface doesn't just suck, it's BROKEN. Options that you selected don't take affect unless you click them twice. Servers are sorted so that empty servers with 500+ pings are shown on top, and you have to fuck around to find the few servers that actually have a decent player population and ping...the entire user interface ruins this game...I feel like a sucker for paying 50 dollars for this.

The in-game graphics are beautiful...but the implementation sucks. The "Orb" destroys any teamwork incentive....all you do is plod around the map until you get run over by a random vehicle.

There is so much that sucks in this game...I am trying hard to love it, but I can't find a decent server to play on.

I have no motivation to finish the single player...its a stupid ladder with the same maps that we play on line.

Epic is eating shit on this one. Have they overstretched themselves? Too many nerds with too much money?

Looks like Epic is heading the direction of Id.
 
Warfare is terrible. The best this game has to offer is in the Deathmatch and Capture the Flag maps. If you think old school UT99 then you'll enjoy the game more. If you compare it to UT2004 you'll be disappointed.

I think this will probably be the last Unreal Tournament game. I'm in the Midwest as well it is really hard to find a decent server.
 
Yeah im really not a fan of the Warfare. It's cool and fun if the people play it right and actually use the orb and work as a team but in all the warfare matches I played, I have discovered this is very rare. While I applaud Epic into trying to make the players who play Warfare work as a team its just not going to happen. Most people are stat whores who only care about what there score is and will go on there own and try be a one man team. And having a ranking system doesnt help this matter. Sure it give people some more incentive to play and its cool, its just going to provoke people to only worry about there rank and not the match. Warfare is just not that type of gameplay that Onslaught was. Onslaught you can get a Manta and rave havok by yourselve if you were good enough, in Warfare you cant....

My room mate and I just finished the campaign and it was severly lacking IMO. It could of been a great SP IMO but they shouldnt of put the tournament gameplay in it. The cutscenes were really good and looked great but and while the gameplay was fun its not how it should of been done. They should of put objectives in the SP and have it play out like a normal SP should, not tournament style.

I believe the MP will pick up, it just wont ever be as popular as UT04 and previous Unreal's were. Like other posters has said, with other MP games just as COD4, this type of game is just not preferred anymore. Unreal takes a good amount of skill to get good at in MP and you have to actually practice and practice to get better and no one wants to do that anymore. They want to easily catch on and be good at it. While I had my issues when I transitioned to this game from UT04, I adapted to UT3 and been having fun with the game since then.

Epic really should of put a true campaign in it and then couple it with a strong MP, they really could of had a winner. Besides the changes in the weapons, the MP is exactly the same as the old UT's; and the old UT's have prooved to have great communities for there time. So Epic has the MP formula down, just not the SP. I believe that if Epic decides to make another Unreal, that be the game that will decide the fate of the series. If it bombs, Unreal is dead, but at the same time, they can make it a real winner and big hit.
 
Epic is eating shit on this one. Have they overstretched themselves? Too many nerds with too much money?

Looks like Epic is heading the direction of Id.

The worst thing about it is you cannot even raise these concerns at the Epic forums w/out being banned or having your thread deleted, regardless of how polite or constructive the comments are.

It appears they are adhering to the "well tough shit, dont play our games then" attitude, which is fine and dandy but its going to come and bite them in the ass because literally NO ONE is playing their game. Also the fact that UT3 has received glowing reviews from most review sites does not help their holier than though attitude.

Anyway the proof is in the pudding, if the game was as awesome as Epic and their fanboys would like us to believe then their would be hundreds of servers and thousands of gamers enjoying online fragging. The fact is this not a reality, and is in part attributable to having ignored the community on the beta feedback.

I really hope the console versions of UT3 tank as divine retribution for having snubbed the community who made UT what it is today.
 
I like the gameplay, I loved ONS and War is a good improvement on that, people who are moaning about it don't know what they're doing to be honest, stop walking everywhere, hitch a ride with a manta or a scorpion using the hoverboard, I can do it so you can too.

Lack of players I attribute to the timing of the launch and the bugs currently in it, I dont think anyone has any money left after the whole boat load of AAA titles we've had recently. With the patch on the way (beta already released) which fixes a massive list of bugs, and xmas 3 weeks away, and then imediately after that Jan sales, I think we'll see a steady increase of player throughout the next 4-5 weeks.

Maybe thats just wishful thinking *shrug* lets wait and see.
 
I was a UT99, and UT2004 whore. Loved them, and gave them so many hours of my life with no regrets.

Had UT3 pre-ordered and couldnt wait for it to come out. Was even telling friends I was going to host my own server for it.

But now I have it, and Ive played it 3 times.

After tweaking the graphics and AA in the Vista control panel, I can say Im happy with the graphics..

but Im finding the gameplay too fast for me this time around. Blink and you die... I dont remember UT2004 being like that.

I tried the warfare mode... and wasnt keen. I preferred Onslaught.

The UI sucks donkey balls and Im dissapointed that Epic released the game which such an appalling interface.

Im tempted to continue with it... but I also have Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, TF2, COD4 and Mass Effect on my 360 to play so at the moment Ive put UT3 down to the bottom of the pile and simply am not playing it.

I guess there are others like me out there too, as the number of players on the servers has been ridiculously low when Ive tried looking for games.

Not what I was expecting... but I think Ive changed since UT2004 and the gaming market has changed too.. I see this game ending up like ETQW... beautiful.. but not played as much as it should be. (My ETQW copy is gathering dust as well)..
 
I like the gameplay, I loved ONS and War is a good improvement on that, people who are moaning about it don't know what they're doing to be honest, stop walking everywhere, hitch a ride with a manta or a scorpion using the hoverboard, I can do it so you can too.

Dude, I am consistently hitching rides on Mantas, etc only to have my grapple break because the retard I am following drives like a maniac.

Getting dropped off in an open field with no vehicle is a pain in the ass, and flying around on a hoverboard makes you such an easy target its silly.

FYI, I have been IP banned on Epics servers. :eek:
 
This game has such potential but it's hurt by bugs and lack of advertisements. It's only real hope is that when the console versions come out and they actually start to advertise that people realize the PC version is better suited for this genre and by then the bugs are cleared up. It's pretty sad to see how much this game could have dominated but instead most people don't even know about it or have heard about it but are hesitant due to bugs.
 
Wow. Now I'm actually sitting here thinking "Damn, man, is it a good thing that you forgot exactly where you downloaded the beta/demo/whatever on this PC?"
 
Wow. Now I'm actually sitting here thinking "Damn, man, is it a good thing that you forgot exactly where you downloaded the beta/demo/whatever on this PC?"

The gameplay isn't bad. It's just that the game is a large step down from UT2k4. Plus, it seems to have no community.
 
The gameplay isn't bad. It's just that the game is a large step down from UT2k4. Plus, it seems to have no community.

The gameplay is much closer to UT99. It's a huge step up from 2K4 for people who preferred the original.
 
I have played UT3 every day since thnxgiving.

the hacks are plentiful and it really detracts from the game itself. everything from spawning with full weapons cache, full armor / health, auto reloading, faster weapon switching, super acrobatic dodging macros, speed hacks, and of course, artificial aiming. WTF is wrong with people...
 
I have played UT3 every day since thnxgiving.

the hacks are plentiful and it really detracts from the game itself. everything from spawning with full weapons cache, full armor / health, auto reloading, faster weapon switching, super acrobatic dodging macros, speed hacks, and of course, artificial aiming. WTF is wrong with people...

I KNEW IT! There are SO many Shock Rifle hacks going on its not even funny. :mad: I guess the 10 year old kids think they have "l33t" skill being able to blow up all their plasma bombs with perfect aim while jumping 20ft in the air and glitching all over the damn map. *sigh*
 
I immediately went back to 04 after playing the demo weeks ago, mainly because of the poor art direction and server browsing interface. The whole "hey everything is blurry and gray" look is cool for slow-paced, post-apocalyptic GoW, but its absolutely grotesque in a fast-paced DM game and really detracts from the gameplay. I've loved unreal from day one but I just can't force myself to like UT3. Hope the console guys enjoy Epic's work, because I don't think we'll be seeing anymore real PC content from them now that they've tasted such success with GoW.
 
And the game is DEAD online.

It is SUNDAY NIGHT in CHICAGO, and I am finding only 1 (one) Warfare server with enough people (5?) and a ping lower than 100 (one hundred).

Sounds like Quake 4. There were maybe a couple hundred people playing a night for the first month and then everyone just disappeared. I bought that game for the MP and really felt like I wasted money.

Looks like Epic is heading the direction of Id.

Not even close. I have to laugh at some people ragging on Quake Wars last week for only having 2,000 people online sometimes. The stats prove Quake Wars is doing well and UT3 is bombing. I never would have expected it 3 months ago. But after playing the UT3 demo, I knew it wasn't a game I'd be playing. http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

UT3 may actually prove to be more popular a game on the consoles than PC !
 
Back
Top