UT3 multiplayer for PC dead?

dinlee23

Gawd
ok so i just bought the game tried looking online for players but all i see is a bunch of emty servers and some players here and there. so WTH happened its UNREAL TOURNAMENT it aint a tournament without people in it. care to tell if anyone knows where all the people went?

Epic Representative: It is the PC piracy who fucked our game up. NO MORE PC GAME....

Reality: who would want to play a shitty game?

care to tell if anyone knows where all the people went?

They went back to 2004, infact they never left. UT3 pc version was a complete flop from the get go. Fans of the series seen right through it for what it is, a ps3 game labeled as PC.

Epic launched the game with a shitty UI and very little content. It never got off to a good start because it was lackluster at release. Right now, it's a much better game after all the patches and new content, but the damage was already done and not that many new people were drawn to the game.

o wow that sux. well for 12 dollars it was worth it... i mean the game is pretty good with the boards and stuff just wished theres more people un multiplay... it kinda gets boring after a while fighting with these bots

Go buy BF2 for like 10$ w/ all addons
Play on infantry only servers - and never look back.

Still the best PC FPS even with its problems. Patch 1.50 is around the corner too
I could teach you a few things if you want. You could be my Padawan.

Still the best PC FPS even with its problems. Patch 1.50 is around the corner too
BF2 and UT are completely different kinds of FPSes. They aren't comparable to each other.

Epic Representative: It is the PC piracy who fucked our game up. NO MORE PC GAME....

Reality: who would want to play a shitty game?

It's not a shitty game.

Epic launched the game with a shitty UI and very little content. It never got off to a good start because it was lackluster at release. Right now, it's a much better game after all the patches and new content, but the damage was already done and not that many new people were drawn to the game.

Ding! Ding! Ding! First realistic post in this thread.

The game today, is 100x better than it was at launch, the problem is it's extremely hard to revive a dead community.

UT3 was bad out of the game. But if you patch it all up or buy it on steam it isn't THAT bad. I really enjoy the titan mode. In all its a fine game. But core FPS games seem to be taking a different turn. id and epic are not longer up front. Its COD and Valve.

BTW don't be sad that you own UT3. There are some SOLID mods coming out for UT3. Buy UT3 now before they jack up the price to $50 because of these mods!!!

http://www.renegade-x.com/staff/RenX_Summer_09_Trailer_HD.avi

http://www.moddb.com/mods/renegade-x

BTW this is spot on. But since its initial release the UI has improved ten fold and there seems to be more content with the game. Not to the likes of UT2K4, but more than before.

yea i just hope these people start moving in UT3 cause i bet theyll all wait for unreal engine 4.0 and the new UT game to come out before they start moving. its like windows XP and vista. allot of users downgraded to XP then they realize that oh vista supports DX 11 then they jump back in to avoid the cause of buying windows 7 for the dx 11 feature that vista will support.

Was doa to begin with. I think it's an ok game, but not that great. Should've been much better.

A friend convinced me to buy it a few months ago while it was on sale for like 75% off. Stopped playing after 3 days. Want money back.

yea i just hope these people start moving in UT3 cause i bet theyll all wait for unreal engine 4.0 and the new UT game to come out before they start moving. its like windows XP and vista. allot of users downgraded to XP then they realize that oh vista supports DX 11 then they jump back in to avoid the cause of buying windows 7 for the dx 11 feature that vista will support.
I very much doubt that will happen.

Infantry Only? OMG, how can you stand runnign for 5 mins across the map? I myself avoid infantry only maps at all costs.

ohand UT2004 sucks more than UT3 now, I can't believe people still play that. All people do in UT2004 is bunny hop like there is no tomorrow.

UT3 is a FAST twitch-style FPS, designed to keep you ass-deep in action from logon to logoff, shoot anything that moves, MB1 is your best friend, etc.
BF2 is much slower, even on small maps, and designed more for teamplay, strategy, coordination.

THAT BEING SAID. Yes, UT3 is pretty dead. It's unfortunate, because now that *most* of the bugs have been squashed, its a decent step up from UT2k4 - eyecandy-wise at least - but is pretty much the same game. Gonna have to get your UT2k4 on if you want full servers.

Even the pirates didn't want to download the game, to tell you how bad Epic fucked up.

To Epic's defense though, pure DM style fps multiplayer games don't have the kind of popularity they used to a decade ago, nowadays objective style fps multiplayer games are what many fps players prefer.

I bought UT3 as soon as it was released, it did not live up to expectations. Crappy UI, the almost complete lack of human players on servers, and lousy maps...the game survived on my HDD for less than 2 weeks. I still have the discs in a drawer somewhere..maybe it's time to dust it off and reinstall it just to try out the new content.:p

Epic screwed us, the PC players, in their mad rush to pander to the console crowd. They deserve their disaster.:mad:

Even the pirates didn't want to download the game, to tell you how bad Epic fucked up.

To Epic's defense though, pure DM style fps multiplayer games don't have the kind of popularity they used to a decade ago, nowadays objective style fps multiplayer games are what many fps players prefer.

Maybe why Counter-Strike has stayed so popular. It mixes both. :eek:

Deathmatch is alright but the games gotta be fun. Its like we've already had unreal 1, 2003, and 2004 then now we got something pretty much the same as the predecessors. We're all just tired of the same recycled game play. Been there done that is what happened also. The game was consolized and appealed to console players also. Its only obvious the real fans of unreal were on the pc. Thats what they deserve for back stabbing the community and acting like nazis on their forums during launch.

Infantry Only? OMG, how can you stand runnign for 5 mins across the map? I myself avoid infantry only maps at all costs.

ohand UT2004 sucks more than UT3 now, I can't believe people still play that. All people do in UT2004 is bunny hop like there is no tomorrow.

it only sux..because you suck at it. transition game types much. maybe fps isnt your bag?

+1

Still looking for the new Quake/UT arena-type FPS to come out.

I remember being addicted to UT2k4, and when UT3 came out, I bought it and was just really disappointed. Games like this are why people are scared to buys games brand new when they first come out. It's not like I can just return it to Steam and ask for my $$ back. I've played it a few times in the past couple months, and just couldn't get into it, so it's been uninstalled.

Or maybe it's because UT3 is a primarily online game, and you can't play online with a cracked copy :rolleyes:.
Maybe you should do a little research. Not only does the pirated version of every single popular multiplayer game, (eg. CS, CS:S, the CoD games, L4D, TF2, the BF games etc etc etc) have means of playing online via cracked servers, but in most cases the emulators/loaders/cracked server.exe's/cracks etc are packaged with the pirated version, so in some cases the pirated version of the game has more features than the legit version. And those cracked servers are not just a couple laggy machines like you might think, there are thousands of them with just as perfect performance you get from a legit server. Hell there was a crack for Quake4 multiplayer which allowed you to use the pirated version of the game on ANY server, legit or not.

Which is exactly why these are my thoughts on Blizzard removing LAN from SC2 and Diablo3 with claims of stopping piracy:
quoting>>".... and since SC2 and Diablo3 are high profile titles, there will be emulated bnet servers and LAN loaders up and running for both those games within a week of their release. And those emulators/loaders will be pre-packaged in warez versions of the game. Thus the only people hurt by not including LAN play are the legit customers, whilst the pirates will get versions of the game that include LAN support."

And lastly believe it or not the quip about pirates not downloading UT3 was actually mentioned in a couple articles I read way back - I don't remember the specific articles but its the only high profile game which didn't make it to the top of warez trackers. Whereas the other multiplayer games like those mentioned above were all at the top of the statistics and jump back there whenever a new patch is released.

Whether or not UT3 is a great game or not doesn't matter at this point, its reputation is shot, the damage is done and there is no salvation for that title. (they tried giving it some life with the Steam free weekends but that was just giving CPR to a rotting corpse)

Maybe you should do a little research. Not only does the pirated version of every single popular multiplayer game, (eg. CS, CS:S, the CoD games, L4D, TF2, the BF games etc etc etc) have means of playing online via cracked servers, but in most cases the emulators/loaders/cracked server.exe's/cracks etc are packaged with the pirated version, so in some cases the pirated version of the game has more features than the legit version. And those cracked servers are not just a couple laggy machines like you might think, there are thousands of them with just as perfect performance you get from a legit server. Hell there was a crack for Quake4 multiplayer which allowed you to use the pirated version of the game on ANY server, legit or not.
Cracked multiplayer only games are by far a thrill. Even with it being possible, the huge downsides are enough to keep most people at bay. A suggestion that UT3 (a game that is heavily multiplayer) has few illegal downloads due to its gametype is a much more reasonable claim than the ones that you have exaggerated upon.

Last edited:
...the huge downsides are enough to keep most people at bay.......... the ones that you have exaggerated upon.
Someone else who needs to do some research. There's no exaggeration whatsoever in my post, I see it happening every day. Being a student I have seen many other students regularly play these pirated versions of multiplayer games, sure there's downsides with some servers (attracting cheaters) - but the actual quality of service provided on most of those servers is not different than you would find on a legit pub server. They have their own websites, forums, admins, anti-cheat clients, statistics, and tons of regular gamers. Back when I used to play on pubs I've even played on some of those servers as legit customers can connect to them as well. Hell tons of people must have played on those servers without even realizing it was a cracked server.

And you can bet FOR SURE that if SC2 does not ship with LAN support that pirates won't be the only ones downloading the pirated version of that game. You'll find tons of people who bought it will also want the pirated version for lag free LAN play.

Epic has pretty much said that the UT franchise is dead, at least for now. Don't expect a new Unreal Game anytime soon.

I think Unreal Tournament 3 is a fine game, but it just didn't have the appeal to secure any kind of player base. Competition from Team Fortress and Call of Duty made Unreal 3 pretty much stillborn. People that want a fantasy competitive shooter generally turn to the superior Team Fortress 2.

I think the real failure of Unreal Tournament is that it is game that isn't sure what it is. Is it capture the flag? Control point? Single player? Multiplayer? Death match? It does everything but does nothing particularly well.

Last edited:
Heh I still play original UT... UT3 was a piece of crap... I think original UT has a bigger player base.

I've played and own it, Mr Assumption. The game plays (with mixed results, at best) like UT but everything from the characters to the enivronments to the art design screams "Gears Arena".

I sometimes play UT3. It's a fun game to play now and then.

It's a shame because ut3 has easily the most customisable engine out there - you can create all sorts of things with it, and a pretty large modding community was available (ut2004 had thousands of mods). However like others said they f**ked up by releasing the game before it was ready, and bottom line it just wasn't enough fun to play. Most of the ut community preferred ut2004, the non-ut crowd preferred COD4 and TF2.

If that wasn't enough just epic made sure all pc players would hate them by calling them a bunch of pirates and going all nazi in the epic forums. Fail!

Epic has pretty much said that the UT franchise is dead, at least for now. Don't expect a new Unreal Game anytime soon.

I think Unreal Tournament 3 is a fine game, but it just didn't have the appeal to secure any kind of player base. Competition from Team Fortress and Call of Duty made Unreal 3 pretty much stillborn. People that want a fantasy competitive shooter generally turn to the superior Team Fortress 2.

I think the real failure of Unreal Tournament is that it is game that isn't sure what it is. Is it capture the flag? Control point? Single player? Multiplayer? Death match? It does everything but does nothing particularly well.

Epic went multiplatform and it killed the series, they weren't smart enough to realise that a fast paced action game like UT3 simply isn't playable on the consoles without completely newbing it up.

Now they've thrown their toys out of their pram about the state of PC gaming and turned their backs to the PC gaming market, they've realised that the UT series just isn't suited to consoles, they dont have the power to render all the high quality art that team Epic are used to producing and they dont have the control methods in order to match the style of the game.

So yeah UT3 is dead, the community are pissed at epic still despite a massive range of patches post release and a load of new content, they simply aren't in a position to pick up the pieces of their mistake.

Hopefuly they learnt something...and the PC audience will be here waiting for when they want to make Unreal engine 4 and boast some new features and come crawling back to us. It might take a few more itterations of Gears of War before they realise they're hasing out the same shit over and over before they get the itch to make something good again.

Man that was good to get that off my chest...gotta have a good moan once in a while.

The game never was very popular online. I play here and there but most of the time half the players are bots. Every second version of UT is popular and this was an odd release. Hopefully the next release will actually have some traction. Good game but I usually play local bots since a lot of time I would be playing the same with lag.

Ohhh, I bought UT3 day one and the only thing that kept me from loving it was my half assed rig at the time (Pentium D 805 + x850pro). Then I got my Q6600/4850 rig and I played online a lot (thoguh mostly at the FragBU private server). Theeeeen I made the mistake of registering my key with steam.

Now I cant install it from the disc anymore so I have to straight up download the beast with chicken shit internet and that killed my motivation to play more than anything really.:eek:

Hopefuly they learnt something...and the PC audience will be here waiting for when they want to make Unreal engine 4 and boast some new features and come crawling back to us. It might take a few more itterations of Gears of War before they realise they're hasing out the same shit over and over before they get the itch to make something good again.

Epic aren't having a dream run with Gears of War anymore either...sure it sells well, but they've copped a lot of flak from the community over the state of GoW2's multiplayer and DLC, with a lot of 'boycott Epic/Gears of War' cries on the official Xbox forums over the last year. Every second thread was dedicated to Epic-bashing, pretty much. I haven't been over there in a long while so I don't know if that has changed.

Back