Using my PC as a jukebox

jpopa

Limp Gawd
My guild has a vent server and we currently use a PC in my house to pump audio into the vent. Most of the time it's just me pulling up a playlist, but as people have different tastes, we all want a say in what is played. I've seen a few toys that work ok. But what I'm looking for is a web interface that can queue requests. Anyone use something like this? I don't want to have the audio stream, just queue playlist songs.

you may want to look into some Shoutcast software solutions by nullsoft..

not sure how hooked you are on pumping the music through Vent, but you can easily run a local shoutcast server your computer (or even on the vent server if you ahve full access)..

http://www.shoutcast.com/

there are some Music on demand type options outthere i started to get to when i started bfradio (which has since gone to EGLN, congrats to shaunzy, check them out at www.egln.net - edit, its .net not .com)..

so instead of going through vent, it would go through winamp or media player (etc..)

or if you where still bent on Ventrilo you can even run the server on own computer, and run winamp connecting to your local server.

if none of the free shoutcast stuff works for what you want, for money you can get SAM DJ, a more profession shoutcast client (you still need the server) but has much of what you are looking for. (it can be expensive though, but very feature rich and well worth it if you are into online DJing)

http://www.spacialaudio.com/products/sambroadcaster/

if you need help or what not just post and i'll try and help as much as i can, you never know you may decide to just take up online DJing or what not (its really pretty fun once you get going)

The whole point of the thing is so that people don't need an external piece of software to DJ. We aren't even looking to have a DJ. What we want is something that can control an MP3 playing piece of software via the web. I've found a few, but nothing that works all that well. I also am not looking for a web streaming tool, I've seen those to. I just want some kind of web library that when you click on a song it adds it to queue.

it could probably be done with some simple server side scripting (perl, aspx)..

if you didn't want to go the route of using some of the auto dj stuff, i'm sure a simple server side perl/cgi script would do what you are looking for. Although you will have to run a webserver off your machine.

Yeah, that's not a problem. I figured I would be setting up something like that anyway, just didn't want to have to reinvent the wheel if I didn't have to.

Back