Using more than one computer...

I primarily use my desktop for everything -- gaming, work, web, movies, etc. I also have a laptop but it's mainly left unused. I just can't stand using my laptop for everything else and use my desktop only for gaming... when I don't really game that much thanks to college. For some reason, I also like to keep data all in one place. With all that said, how do you feel when you have multiple computers at your disposal?

How do you use your machine(s)? How do you treat your data? Do you prefer to keep the functionality all onto one machine or separate over different devices? Any thoughts or personal experiences on this topic?

If the laptop is that much of a problem for you, then just sell it. (But don't ask here; price checks aren't allowed in General Hardware.)

I have a desktop and a laptop. Though I do most of my work (and nearly all of my gaming) on my desktop, I take my laptop with me whenever I travel. (I've been traveling a lot lately, so the laptop has become invaluable for my sanity.) Unlike you, however, I prefer redundancy with my important programs and documents, so I normally keep copies of (just about) everything on both my desktop and my laptop (though I also have some DVDs and an external HDD that have my important information).

Wherever I go, my laptop comes with me. Many a times my ass as well as boredom level and education has been saved by my laptop. I use it to browse, watch movies, very light gaming, homework, etc. When I'm at home though, my laptop sees little use. I use my desktop to satisfy all my computing wants and needs (gaming and internet browsing). Plus I have dual 19" LCD monitors, a pretty big reason to keep using my desktop at home.

Though once college starts again, my laptop will definitely be seeing a ton more use.

Anyway, I manually backup very important documents on both my laptop, PC and external hard drives. As you can see, my desktop and laptop have almost same functions but in different environments: Outside = laptop, inside = desktop.

I typically have two desktop systems, which share my workload/gaming. The better one is preferred for gaming, but I could be running batch jobs on it and game on my other system. My laptop is used for imdb lookups, pokerstars, etc while watching tv or if I'm simply tired of sitting in a chair. :p When I travel, I bring my work laptop. All my data is stored on a central internal server, for easy access.

multiple has always been my way.. I've taken my gaming machines apart and upgraded so many times that, id be crazy to keep anything "really' important on that machine..But then again you could always put a really slow box togeather and just use it as a file server..

Back