• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using GetDataBack

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
7,993
Ok, some of you probbably saw my thread about the failure on my MAXTOR 200gb.. Well, I ran GetDataBack and made an image of the drive, now how exactly do I unpack the image onto my new 300gb drive?

And hopefully this isnt a problem.. >But The only place I could make the image to is the 300gb drive.. so 200gb are used, when I unpack will it require a full nother 200gb, or Will it unpack and delete its own temp files?
 
I was under the impression that GetDataBack recovered individual files as individual files, not as archives of any sort. Did you run DriveImageXML, perhaps?
 
unless they radically changed the program
you ran it, there are 5 steps till it shows you the data on the drive...

i like to backup the results for steps 4 & 5 (cause they sometimes take a while to scan - especially if the drive is dying)

then it shows you the drive and you save to another location by "copy"

unless they changed something in version 3...
 
Oh dear god.. Its acutually RECOVERING files.. I see files again

*Tears well up in eyes*


Takes a while tho..
 
Well, Fuck it.. It really didnt recover shit.. It recovered file names and locations, but nothing else.. It recovered MAYBE 10 out of 2000 pictures.. and about 50 half songs (1min or less) from my 45GB Collection.. None of my programs survived... Emulators, Drivers, Email backups, Games Files, all my backgrounds that it took me years to collect.. All the files take up the right amount of space, its just acting like they dont work.. Is there anything I can do to fix up these files.. at least my pictures..

I hate today..
 
Not sure what process you ran, but last time I ran GDB, it didnt make any image of the bad drive, it found files and folders, then I searched in those (or chose certain ones) and recovered those to the new drive.

They all came out OK for me (2gb pics, wifes MS office files and my 200mb pst file)
 
It seems to have recovered my file table.. Is there a way I can isolate what sectors my pictures are in? If I can figure out the range they are in I can focus on JUST recoverign that... My pix are all I want.. I can always get the music again, I can get my programs again, but my pictures, most of them were the only copies..

I defregged the drive a day or so before the malfunction, and I have everything horribly OCD Organized.. So all my pictures should be in one range of sectors.. Anyone know how I can fidn out before I ship the drive to RMA?
 
Your doing the gdb searches against the drive , from another drive...not searching and restoring on the same drive, right?
 
im imaging the bad drive and placing the image on the new HDD, then unpacking the Files onto my otehr working drives
 
Back
Top