Using an old PSU with nforce4 motherboard

[A]MD-Fan

Limp Gawd
Will I be able to use an old Antec TruePower 430:
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/antectruepower430/

With an Nforce4 chipset motherboard? Not an SLI motherboard, just socket 939, single video card. The motherboard has 2 (or 4) extra pin slots that aren't being used.

I'm just wondering if I can keep my current power supply for this second computer I'm building. Thanks.

Most likely not. You'll probubly have reboots and stability problems..You really need a 24 pin 500watt power supply to have a trouble free system..
Im running a pcp&c 470 silencer and its fine with the board..Make sure you buy a quality name brand p/s as it does make a big difference with these boards and how they operate..

I am not sure where you get the 500 watt figure as a requirement???
I am running a 430 watt Seasonic S12 on a new system without problems.

Andrew

...You really need a 24 pin 500watt power supply to have a trouble free system..

i've got a 500 watt 20 pin psu, and its driving my KN3 SLI2 with an x2 4600.

same with the 939 i'm upgrading from. never saw any problems.

I ran a Neo4 Plat SLI with a 20-pin PSU (even running in SLI mode) and didn't have any problems. I upgraded my PSU to the OCZ Powerstream (at the time a pretty good one), and didn't notice any better stability (the board was stable, but it just didn't OC for crap).

Thanks guys, I'll try it out. I was planning on getting a x1900GT for the video card, not sure how much power they use.

But this TruePower PSU is one of the high quality ones (Socket A era), before Antec turned to crap.

[A]MD-Fan;1030860749 said:
Thanks guys, I'll try it out. I was planning on getting a x1900GT for the video card, not sure how much power they use.

But this TruePower PSU is one of the high quality ones (Socket A era), before Antec turned to crap.

Well, I'm running an OC'd Opty 165/2GB memory/2 HDD/ 2 optical/5 case fan combo along with a 8800GTX on a 430W Fortron PSU. I think you'll be ok ;).

i'm runnin an x2 4600+/2 gig dd2 800/x1950xt 256/2 hdd's and 2 dvd rams on a generic 500 w/ a 20 pin that i've had for over a year and a half now... so yeah, he's probably ok ;)

I had that same exact power supply, powering up my Gigabyte GA-8KN SLI nForce4, Socket 939 board, for about a week, while I was waiting for my new power supply and video card.

While I wouldn't use this power supply with any kind of recent video card that requires decent 12 volt juice, I'll attest to the fact that my system was completely stable with this, running an Opteron 146 2.0 GHz CPU, in conjunction with a GeForce 6600GT PCI video card.

If you're going to use any kind of recent video card, though, such as a GeForce 7900, etc., then you're going to want to get a better power supply. In the meantime, though, if you're using an older video card, then you should be fine.

Back