• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using 3 IDE devices on a normal IDE cable

gibberish

n00b
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
1
Hi

I want to use 3 IDE devices on a normal IDE cable. I have added a fourth IDE connector on the cable.I want to switch between HDDs using a DPDT switch to switch the power between them. So I would have

Mobo -> DVDROM -> HDD1 -> HDD2 on the IDE cable. Only 1 HDD would be powered at any one time and all devices are se to 'cable select'. THis works well until I want to use the DVDROM.

Booting from either HDD works fine - but using the DVDROM is cannot read most disks and stutters saying the disk is damaged etc. Unplugging either of the HDD from the cable and the DVDROM is fine. Obviously this is the root cause of the problem - is this a resistance problem, I am using 40pin IDE cable is this the problem? Anyone else hazard a guess? Using 'master' on the drives also does not solve the problem.

Thanks
 
may I ask why in god's name you're trying to put 3 devices on one cable? If you just want to have 2 hard drives, get a swap bay or something! As for how to do it, I've never even heard of anybody attempting it, so you're probably on your own.

On a separate note, use 80-pin cables unless you're a fan of ATA-33 speeds...
 
Each IDE channel is designed to take only 2 drives (unless something has changed). 2 IDE channels, 4 drives total. There are some motherboards with dual chipsets that can be used to handle up to 8 drives total and still be IDE.

Your idea of a DPDT switch is one I can’t recommend and I sure can’t recommend adding a third IDE connector to an existing cable. If that were a viable option you could buy one, I don’t see where you can.

I believe I’d have to suggest you try to stay within the parameters, as they are set. If not I have a feeling you will break something, if not a drive then your controller.

If you have one of those OEM motherboards that only take one IDE cable then the only option I can see is to replace that motherboard with something more up to date, assuming it would fit your case etc.

Ah, an option I had forgotten about, you could get an add on IDE controller that would plug into a PCI slot. That would give you 4 more drives assuming you can free enough IRQ’s to cover your needs.

In any event, do yourself a favor and get rid of that switch, trust me.
 
Back
Top