User name/Settings across a network?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,
I'm sure this is doable, I'm sure it's done everyday by people alot more knowledgeable then me.

Anyway, I'm in charge of all the data/comm in a small office. Currently we have about 10 computers and one "server" all with Windows XP Pro installed on them.

Now what I'm asking is, how do I set it up so that I can have everyones settings on a server (doesnt have to be XP Pro Im trying to talk them into letting my upgrade to Server 03.) so that when they log on to ANY computer, they'll have access to their mapped drives, their desktop settings and all of that?

Thanks for any help and info.

-Steven

Basically, you have to install server 2003 onto one PC, then setup active directory, DNS and DHCP on the server.

Youd then have to create the users accounts on the domain
- then youd have to create the shared drives on the server, and set correct permissions (ie who can get into the 'Managers' share drive, etc)
- you would have to add each PC to the domain so that the folks could do the 'press ctrl-alt-delete to logon and enter there ID and PW)
- then youd have to also setup either roaming profiles, so that all there settings follow then to every PC they log onto, or you would have to setup redirected folders for the basic things they need (like redirecting there \Desktop folder and \My Documents folder to the servers share drives.

- Dont forget that youd have to have some sort of a backup for the share drives, dont want to lost all the info thats stored there.
Any dont forget to document everything you change (it'll bit you in the but if you dont)

Sounds so simple. Haha. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm sure I can google for the rest.

Now time to right up the proposal for Server 03.

(Is the Vista line going to be releasing a Server OS with it as well?)

Back