User accounts for your servers

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Curious,

As i sat down today at work to set up a new server, i was thinking, what do people use for usernames for their server accounts?

I want to get away from using common accounts or named accounts related to someone in I.T.

What do you use for user accounts on your servers? Do you stick with the admin account or use some name relative to the servers usage? Or just use something completely off the wall.

administrator for mack daddy
first initial last name for users (same for me, i just give myself admin rights)

i am trying to get away from just using my main account for everything, i did the same for servers not on our domain, just the admin account, for servers on our domain, usually something similar to the purpose of the server but usually had Admin in the username somewhere.

Users i do the same, First name , last initial.

I rename the domain admin account something obscure, for users, I prefer first initial last name, present employer uses last name first initial

I usually create a separate "a" account for anyone doing admin tasks. This is a separate account that would pretty much mirror your normal user account only stick an "a" in from of the user ID.

You can also use a more generic ID if more than just you are going to be using it like xxwebadmin, or xxpcadmin, ect. That way you should be able to differentiate what that ID would be used for should you see it in a log or something.

Depends on how many people you have.

Common ID's
First initial, Last name (flast) I use one of these first two if they have a complicated first or last name.
First name, Last initial (firstl)
First name dot Last name (first.last) I've been using this one a lot lately.

Basically I'm going for ease of use. :)

My admin account it some goofy name that my boss starting using way back when we got our first servers. Its related to nothing. It works and if you don't know it you will never guess it.

We use first.last. but if it is a local admin acct you're referring to it is some weird name.

When you have a John Smith and a Jason Smith the format firstinitial.lastname or FirstinitialLastname (JSmith or j.smith) wont work as a UPN and we try to avoid appending numbers (JSmith1, JSmith2) if possible. It can still be required but far less than using first initial alone.

we use a strange naming scheme because of the volume of people here. its

(first [or up to] 7 letters of last name).(first 2 letters of first name).

i like it because even if you know that the scheme uses the persons name, you have to figure out which parts are used, and i have yet to see two employees with names that would hash to the same username (out of several thousand people).

Wow really people? Read the OP's question. He's not asking for the domain naming convention structure. He's asking for the logon names for server and admin accounts.

@Krazypoloc Wow Really? Since you bitched why not add something productive to the conversation as well?

We renamed our administrator account for the domain and local admin accounts. Nothing special just our company initials followed by admin. The local admin account password is different than the domain admin account for what it's worth

I use <task>admin for preforming specific tasks on servers. These task accounts also are handy when a particular application needs some form of elevated rights (running as a service for example)

I keep them in the general "users" OU in AD and use a description of "Maintenance Account" to sort them easily. They also have different passwords then any other elevated username in AD (domain admin, etc)

Our users have 7 character non complex passwords
elevated or Tier II accounts must contain letters and numbers
And tier III accounts such as myself, anyone in the domain admins group, and Domain\Administrator must be letters (capitol and lowercase), numbers, and symbols

@Krazypoloc Wow Really? Since you bitched why not add something productive to the conversation as well?

We renamed our administrator account for the domain and local admin accounts. Nothing special just our company initials followed by admin. The local admin account password is different than the domain admin account for what it's worth

^Once again read the god damn thread! I already gave my *useful input higher up in the thread.

*My information may or may not prove useful to the OP, but I provided a direct response to his question.

Sweet dig up of a week old thread.

Guess next time I'll have to read closer. Thank god you were there to give valuable input to the OP

I have a user that is a domain admin and doesn't know it. I use their account.

Why? The employee passed away and no one knows the account is active:)
It depends on the kind of business and what information was/is in their account or related to it. Say they were an insurance broker or something related to health and had information about the people they dealt with you would be violating hipaa. Just not really a good idea to use someone else's account, disable it and let it sleep.

Back